Chainsaw Carving

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drive_1305

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here's a carving you might enjoy. It's in Paducah, KY.

It says hand chisled though. Maybe that also includes using a saw ????

Nice! I'd bet a saw had to be involved. Can you imagine the work involved in doing all that with just a chisel? :dizzy:

BlueRidgeMark said:
Nice! I'd bet a saw had to be involved. Can you imagine the work involved in doing all that with just a chisel? :dizzy:
For sure it was roughed in with a saw,then ground down then chizled.
So it was chizled!!!!! at least near the end. Very nice carving no matter how the artist got there,Right?

Yep. Sw, chisel, toothbrush, it doesn't matter as long as it's his own work.

And that's some good work.

When I saw the first two photos, I thought, Peter Toth - then I saw the plaque. Peter did one of these in Wheeling in the '70s. Used a large elm that was going to be removed for some development. I know he did a lot of hand chiseling. Not sure about the saw, but I don't remember it well. I will ask some of the other local carvers. He had a tent pitched next to the tree and worked and slept there. Took at least a couple months. I think he went around soliciting donations. It was not sponsored by anyone as far as I know. I heard his plan was to do one in each state to commemorate the local native Americans.

The carving was moved next to the city county building (outside) for a few years. It started to rot and they tried filling it. Last I heard it had been purchased by a local business and placed inside. I'll check to see if it's still there and get a photo.

Beautiful work, somewhat surprising that he would put all that effort into a red oak (kinda like a box of straws) This thing is now over 20 yrs old, does anyone have a current pic?

http://www.savvycenter.com/explorer/roadside/roadside2/wacinton.htm

19820700_toth.jpg

I took those pics this wednesday, 7-12-06. I sure wouldn't have thought its been there 21 years. I remember seeing it before when I would drive by, but never paid that much attention until I've got interested in chainsaws. I would have thought its been there maybe 10 or 12 but not 21. Whew! Time flies by!

Last edited:
Back