Chainsaw Chaps questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon S

Reaction score
I recently got a MS260 Pro that ran great today. I will use it every so often and keep it in good shape.
Wondering about chaps, the Stihl Pro Mark are 9-ply and cost $110.
Their next level down that I am aware of are 6-ply and go for $90.
Husqvarna have some for $75, not sure how thick, etc.

What are the rationales for getting a certain chap?
I am not a pro, nor do I intend on being one anytime soon. Saw will be used in forest with blowdowns, to remove widow makers, and to make firewood.

I am 6'4", put on a set of the Pro Mark's in the 40" model and think those would be the right size.
With two lovely ladies at home, and a baby in the belly, PPE is important.
Thanks for teaching me what I need to know,
Jon

I got a pair of Husqvarna Chaps that are not full wrap. They protect the front of your legs, but lack any protection to your crotch.
nice and breathable though.
Cant speak for thickness of durability cause i have never touched a chain to em (knock on hard wood)

I believe they were only about 60 something though

I have the Labonville full wrap chaps and really like them. They are comfortable and provide good protection. You won't be disappointed.

I recently got a MS260 Pro that ran great today. I will use it every so often and keep it in good shape.
Wondering about chaps, the Stihl Pro Mark are 9-ply and cost $110.
Their next level down that I am aware of are 6-ply and go for $90.
Husqvarna have some for $75, not sure how thick, etc.

What are the rationales for getting a certain chap?
I am not a pro, nor do I intend on being one anytime soon. Saw will be used in forest with blowdowns, to remove widow makers, and to make firewood.

I am 6'4", put on a set of the Pro Mark's in the 40" model and think those would be the right size.
With two lovely ladies at home, and a baby in the belly, PPE is important.
Thanks for teaching me what I need to know,
Jon

Any protection is better than no protection, I use the stihl pro-mark, but I know a lot of the guys use the bailey's or the husqvarna and they like them. Think also about eye/ear/head/hand protection as well. After a while, it will be second nature to wear the stuff as to not.

I bought a pair of Labonville full wrap competition chaps a few yrs ago. Absolutely the best money I ever spent. They're a bit heavy and bulky but you"ll get use to them. Plus they're "Made in the USA".

Labonville full-wrap chaps.

Sizing? Measure from top of belt to instep (where foot meets ankle). Note that this is not the same measurement as the inseam length listed on the tag of your jeans.

I'm 6'0" and wear 32" inseam jeans, but my chap measurement was ~39", so I bought the Labonville XL 40" size. Fits perfectly. Your being 6'4" might put you into the 2XL. Bottom line: take your measurement.

I never used chaps before I worked for the City of Va beach, but sine then all I have used is stihl chaps, I watch a pair of Stihl chaps save a coworkers leg once too so I don't know about the rest of them, but at least I know of one that works.

Whenever someone asks about leg protection I always strongly recommend a full wrap pant or chap, reason being if you do hit your leg with the saw it can pull the protection to the side and still cut you.

bossman gives us husqvarna full wrap chaps and they're decent...I have a problem with the clips staying attached though. Husky packages them backwards in the box you have to reverse them and make is so that the teeth bite a certain way and then they might stay on for a little while.

I bought a pair of Labonville full wrap competition chaps a few yrs ago. Absolutely the best money I ever spent. They're a bit heavy and bulky but you"ll get use to them. Plus they're "Made in the USA".

I have the same pair. I really like everything about them. They are well made, I think they are 10 ply, Made not only in the USA but in my back yard NH. The price was about $100. A cheap pair are about $60. The extra $40 wasn't a deal breaker.

I will say I know all about buying PPE. It's like buying a fire extinguisher. It isn't cool, you can't play with it, you hope you never need it, but when you do your glad you have it.

Latest posts

Back