My first real chainsaw, Stihl, and question re protective gear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl ly

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My first post here:

Well, after years of homeowner-type use, including felling of 40' trees, of a small "Eager Beaver" McCullogh chainsaw, I finally got fed up with its lack of performance and mega vibration and bought by first real chainsaw, a Stihl MS 290 w/18" bar (couldn't quite justify going all the way to the pro MS 261). My first use of this saw made me realize just how badly I had been punishing myself with the McCullogh.

Anyway, my current question in this very first post regards protective gear. Up to now, I have never used any protective gear -- hell, I've even cut wood wearing shorts in the summertime. Rather than use protective gear, I've just been careful about avoiding kickback and moving with a running saw. And I am always mindful of keeping my head and upper body to the left of the saw, out of the vertical plane of the bar. Similarly when limbing I always keep the trunk between me and the limb that I'm cutting off. So, over the last ten years of homeowner-type use, I have never had any accidents nor have I ever had an instance of kickback.

Now with the larger and more powerful Stihl, I am thinking that maybe I should get some protective gear such as protective pants and something to protect my face and head in the event of kickback. For pants, I was thinking of the Husqvarna Pro Forest summer weight pants (even though they are warm/hot as I would not be wearing them for extended periods of time). I think I'd prefer pants over chaps and I believe that the Husky pants provide full coverage from top to bottom.

But for the head/face protection I really have no idea what to get. Seems to me that the wire mesh shields on most chainsaw helmets would be near useless in protecting one's face from a chainsaw bar strike to the face especially if chain were still running. Similarly, the plastic composite helmets themselves also appear to offer little protection from a bar strike to the face/head if the chain were still running. Frankly, I'm thinking that a full face motorcycle helmet would provide more protection than the typical chainsaw head / face gear. Am I wrong about this? Is there anything out there that offers real protection against a kickback of the bar to the head/face? Something perhaps like an aluminum helmet with a substantial gauge metal mesh face shield?

Last edited:
I wear full wrap chaps, ear plugs, safety glasses, full brim plastic helmet (no Screen) and work gloves when cutting.

All the safety equipment in the world won't be of much use if you are just dangerous with everything you run.

You still need to act is if you have no safety equipment on. It is there only if the wrost case should happen such as a slip up etc.

My first post here:

Well, after years of homeowner-type use, including felling of 40' trees, of a small "Eager Beaver" McCullogh chainsaw, I finally got fed up with its lack of performance and mega vibration and bought by first real chainsaw, a Stihl MS 290 w/18" bar (couldn't quite justify going all the way to the pro MS 261). My first use of this saw made me realize just how badly I had been punishing myself with the McCullogh.

Anyway, my current question in this very first post regards protective gear. Up to now, I have never used any protective gear -- hell, I've even cut wood wearing shorts in the summertime. Rather than use protective gear, I've just been careful about avoiding kickback and moving with a running saw. And I am always mindful of keeping my head and upper body to the left of the saw, out of the vertical plane of the bar. Similarly when limbing I always keep the trunk between me and the limb that I'm cutting off. So, over the last ten years of homeowner-type use, I have never had any accidents nor have I ever had an instance of kickback.

Now with the larger and more powerful Stihl, I am thinking that maybe I should get some protective gear such as protective pants and something to protect my face and head in the event of kickback. For pants, I was thinking of the Husqvarna Pro Forest summer weight pants (even though they are warm/hot as I would not be wearing them for extended periods of time). I think I'd prefer pants over chaps and I believe that the Husky pants provide full coverage from top to bottom.

But for the head/face protection I really have no idea what to get. Seems to me that the wire mesh shields on most chainsaw helmets would be near useless in protecting one's face from a chainsaw bar strike to the face especially if chain were still running. Similarly, the plastic composite helmets themselves also appear to offer little protection from a bar strike to the face/head if the chain were still running. Frankly, I'm thinking that a full face motorcycle helmet would provide more protection than the typical chainsaw head / face gear. Am I wrong about this? Is there anything out there that offers real protection against a kickback of the bar to the head/face? Something perhaps like an aluminum helmet with a substantial gauge metal mesh face shield?

Congrats on the new saw. Very good choice. Glad to see that you are focused on getting good PPG. Below are links to the stuff that I have and use. I use my aluminum helmet (with separate eye protection and ear plugs) a lot more than the combi helmet just because it seems less distracting when I'm working. I use the Labonville full wrap chaps because I KNOW they work.

Bailey's - Labonville Full-Wrap Chainsaw Safety Chaps

Bailey's - Rockman Professional Lumberjack System

Bailey's - Full Brim Aluminum Hard Hats

Last edited:
For facial protection you could try one of those body armour masks that are designed to stop a bullet, it would surely stop the saw but not sure about its comfort level for use but im guessing it wouldn't be to high.

Helmet face protection will not protect from moving chain. Mesh screen is very effective against chunks of bark and such in the face, but you still need safety-glasses.

Against kickback, you need to avoid monkey-grip on front handle (keep thumb opposed to fingers), keep left elbow locked straight, keep body parts out of the plane of the chain. A really sharp chain also helps here, since if the chain cuts right through something, the reaction force is minimized. That kicks the saw.

Of course, always inspect saw often, including checking chain-brake operation. Set the chain-brake whenever not cutting and the chain is close to you. DAMHIKT. It's hard to get cut with stationary chain.

Learning to hand-file a chain is a real plus, since you can keep the chain like a razor easily. Makes life much easier for you, chain, bar and engine. Win-win-win-win. You should only see chips, not dust.

Welcome. We'll be listening to hear of your next saw.

Welcome to AS.

I'm probably in the same general class as you - homeowner-ish-type use.

As Strug said - regardless of what protection you have, act like you don't have any; don't depend on the PPE to keep you safe.

As for what I use: Stihl chaps, helmet with ear muffs and face shield, gloves.
Things I wish I had: some better way to protect my insteps from a sharp chain, steel-toed (& comfortable) boots.

My wife makes sure I wear the chaps.
I make sure I wear hearing protection (too much loud rock-n-roll in my youth = tinnitus in my middle age)
The helmet mostly just provides a handy mount for face screen and ear muffs, but if I fell a tree, it's there to protect my noggin from falling things. (when you're hammering in wedges, you'd be surprised at how much crap comes down out of the tree)

Most chainsaw cuts are to the left thigh. coincidentally, I could show you a scar on my left thigh. Anyway, I have worn forestry pants extensively and they work great but are very hot in a hot climate if worn over other pants. Also, I find the full wrap Labonville chaps I have now are easier to put on and off as you don't have to remove boots to do it like you do with the pants.

At a minimum for protection you should get some type of pants/chaps.
eye protection. The mesh goggles (bugzeyes) are what I use since they don't steam up
ear protection (I use the cheapo foam ear plugs)
head protection. Most of the time I wear a simple plastic hard hat. These are cheap and available anywhere. I use a strap on one for climbing. I believe it is a Rockman but not sure.

The face shields on the combo units are only for eye protection. they won't stop a chain. A helmet will help though.

PPE is not a replacement for being careful and using your brain. Those that are in the "it won't happen to me" camp are plentiful but it is not statistically supportable.

I have worked as a pilot much of my life and I am used to risk management. I do what I can to mitigate the parts I can.

For instance, today I rode a motorcycle about 35 miles. It was 90 degrees and I was wearing full leathers and a helmet, gloves, boots, etc. Hot and not as comfortable as it would have been in shorts and a t-shirt, but....

Thanks for the good wishes and advice regarding safe practices.

I'm going to get the Husky pants and as for the helmet / face protection I see no real need for a plastic helmet that offers little protection. If I feel vulnerable, I'll just wear one of my full-face motorcycle helmets. For the longer term, I think I'll just keep an eye out on ebay for a ballistic helmet with a rock shield (a ballistic face shield is about an inch thick!).

Sounds like you have been using your noggin and that is the most important peice of safety equipment.

Now I will give you and example of how a plastic hard hat can save your butt..... I was cutting a standing dead locust- probably 25' high. When it firt started to tip, a dead branch was held by the end of a live branch on another tree. Even though I was backing away, the falling dead branch(about 8' long and 3" across at the butt) caught me on top of the head. Put my on my knees and drove the suspension band down to my eyebrows.

Similarly, I have seen dead branches let go just form the vibration of the tree cracking as it begins to tip- no entanglement involved.

Brad Snelling recently posted a video of himself getting pole axed by a snapping green branch. Murphy cathces everyone if they stay at it long enough.

I wear: leather gloves, steel toe boots, Stihl chaps(sometimes over shorts. LOL), healmet with screen, Oakley blades & earplugs. If I get too hot, I take a short break- being tired brings on more accidents anyway.

Bill

Thanks for the good wishes and advice regarding safe practices.

I'm going to get the Husky pants and as for the helmet / face protection I see no real need for a plastic helmet that offers little protection. If I feel vulnerable, I'll just wear one of my full-face motorcycle helmets. For the longer term, I think I'll just keep an eye out on ebay for a ballistic helmet with a rock shield (a ballistic face shield is about an inch thick!).

You could just go ahead and "invest" in that nice full brim hat that Baileys has.
Thats just my opinion though. At any rate congrats on the new saw.

Sounds like you have been using your noggin and that is the most important peice of safety equipment.

Now I will give you and example of how a plastic hard hat can save your butt..... I was cutting a standing dead locust- probably 25' high. When it firt started to tip, a dead branch was held by the end of a live branch on another tree. Even though I was backing away, the falling dead branch(about 8' long and 3" across at the butt) caught me on top of the head. Put my on my knees and drove the suspension band down to my eyebrows.

Similarly, I have seen dead branches let go just form the vibration of the tree cracking as it begins to tip- no entanglement involved.

Brad Snelling recently posted a video of himself getting pole axed by a snapping green branch. Murphy cathces everyone if they stay at it long enough.

I wear: leather gloves, steel toe boots, Stihl chaps(sometimes over shorts. LOL), healmet with screen, Oakley blades & earplugs. If I get too hot, I take a short break- being tired brings on more accidents anyway.

Bill

I am all for using a helmet -- I'm just looking for a good one, one that will also protect from a moving chain kickback strike to the head/face. These forestry helmets with their flimsy mesh face shields simply won't do. So I'm seriously going to look into getting a ballistic helmet (that will stop a 9mm) with a rock face shield. In the meantime, I'm thinking that one of my full face motorcycle helmet with a full foam energy absorption layer will be as good if not better than any plastic composite forestry helmet with a limited surface area nylon belt suspension at protecting from a limb strike and certainly much better at protecting from a bar strike.

You're over-thinking the helmet, IMO. The plastic or aluminum helmet WILL stop the motion of the bar toward the head in an extreme kickback scenario, but it won't necessarily stop the motion of the chain around the bar. The bar & chain will likely bounce or be deflected off any helmet, and at that point you will be more concerned with having a safety vest or shirt (and changing your shorts). Also, if more protection were needed yet not superfluous, you'd see it in a chainsaw supply catalog or retailer like Baileys.

With that being stated, this is what I wear:

Forestry helmet with metal mesh shield
Inexpensive clear safety glasses
Labonville full-wrap chaps
Steel toe boots (or chainsaw boots w/steel toe)
Antivibration gloves

I actually prefer chaps over chainsaw pants in summer because I can quickly remove the chaps during breaks.

Even though you're an experienced sawyer, if you haven't already done so, watch these videos:
STIHL Video Library - Chain Saw Safety, Operation & Maintenance

Last edited:
I agree with tree, over-thinking the helmet.

The brim is what is going to stop the bar from making contact to the head. Any ansi approved hat with brim will do that. If you dropping trees, you want something to stop falling objects; which is the more likely scenario to get injured anyway. Face shield just stops flying debris, sometimes I wear one, sometimes just a full brim.

Also, I would wear gloves if you are getting sweaty and are not an "experienced" user. I have seen many guys drop or lose their grip on their saws due to wet/tired hands. Good anti-vibe gloves will help.

If facial protection and increased helmut protection is critical- look at Lacrosse goalie or even fielders helmet. Should be increased field of view and better comfort in the heat than a motocycle helmet.

You might pick a used one up cheap at a sporting goods recycle gear shop or on a campus posting. Would likely have much better ventilation. Motocycle helmets are designed to ventilate at speed but I just don't walk that fast with a running saw ;) LOL!

Bill

Along the same lines. Bits of motorcross gear may add things that would give a bit of "hard" protection. Comfort is always compromised as protection increases to hard gear.

Last edited:
As long as he knows how to work safely, then the safety gear mentioned to him should be fine. I just cant see wearing a motorcycle helmet......not tryin to be a know it all, because Im far from a pro.

Over thinking the helmet / face shield?

Maybe and the really ironic thing is that I've been using a saw (albeit a McCullogh "Eager Beaver") for ten plus years with no protection just applying safe practices. But now that I've decided to end this reckless practice (cutting in shorts, etc.), I'm going for the gusto. The full face motorcycle helmet is a bit much and I'm sure it'll be hot and heavy to wear while cutting. Still, I already own several and, if I'm only wearing it for short time periods it'll be OK until I get something better.

I do like the idea of aluminum-shelled forestry helmets. Too bad they fall short on real face protection. If they had a heavy-duty aluminum or steel cage on the front covering the face, like a hockey goalie's helmet, that would be great but they don't. So, I'm still thinking that a used kevlar / aramid fiber ballistic helmet with a rock shield might be the ticket. Or maybe a goalie's helmet would be OK too.

Thanks also for the video link -- never hurts to review the basics.

Latest posts

Back