My first real chainsaw, Stihl, and question re protective gear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be a long hot sweaty day at work wearing all this crap you guys are talking about i couldn't imagine moving around in a tree wearing a motorcycle helmet or kevlar you would need to use 5/8 bull rope to climb on with all the extra weight

It would be a long hot sweaty day at work wearing all this crap you guys are talking about i couldn't imagine moving around in a tree wearing a motorcycle helmet or kevlar you would need to use 5/8 bull rope to climb on with all the extra weight

Nah, a hockey helmet weighs a little over pound, maybe a pound and a half with a steel cage and foam ear plug weigh nothing.

And I never will run a saw in a tree or on a ladder.

The MC helmet would just be meant for temporary use and only in potential kickback situations on the ground. I wonder how many kickback injuries / incidents involve bar strikes to the head or face? Are there any available stats on this?

Oh, BTW if a 300 pound limb falls on your head, does it really matter whether you are wearing a helmet?

There is nothing like a screaming chain saw 12 inches from your face and really tree work is only as safe as the guys doing the job if i pay attention to where my ground guys are before i make a cut and the guys on the ground pay attention to me and we communicate there is no reason for anyone to get hurt.

Hat glasses chaps gloves boots are all good and to be used. But they are add ons to your best defence which is your brain. Use it 1st. A test here is to try cutting with a saw butt naked,, yeah weird but just consider how careful you will be, very very careful. Try to keep this focus as you go.

PPe is excellent but its taking away our safe thinking minds. We put it on and think we are bullet proof, I seen this in sports and work places but the accident stats still keep climbing each year.

try to be smarter than the bit of wood ya cutting.

I know of two facial injuries personally.
1) 1 guy bucking and one guy clear blocks away as they were cut= DUMB! Guy with saw just starts a cut as #2 slips in ud and falls across top of bar. Luckily bar was partially in the wood and he got a nice groove across his forehead before his arm came down across cutters hand and chainbrake.

2) my uncle was swinging a tiny saw with his right hand and moving brush he cut with his left- tip strike and chain rattled across his G.I. saftey glasses. chewed his eyebrow a little but nothing too serious.

I like my face the way it is, even if no one else does.

There is a sub forum on here about injuries- comes with graphic pics and explainations so we can learn from their mistakes.

Bill

Latest posts

Back