Chainsaw cutting curves...but this is different

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sofasurfer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have read a hundred posts about saws cutting a curve. This is a new saw. I have sharpened the chain with no change. I flipped the bar with no change. I ran a Mac130 for years and it never cut a curve that made any difference. I have charpened my chains and never caused an issue.
I'm dealing with my Poulan 4218 that is cutting on a curve to the right. I just went out and did some more cutting. I cut a smaller log, 12-14 inch diameter and it cut through pretty darn straight. Then I cut the 18-24 incher again and I got a curved cut. I noticed that half way through the log it is cutting straight(with the saw held level) but then at the widest part of the log I start dipping the rear end of the saw while leaving the tip pointing upward. THIS is where the saw starts cutting crooked...when I leave the tip where it is in the log and bring the back of the saw down though the widest part (is there a word for this action?). From there its curve city all the way. By the end of the cut I am a good 3-4 inches to the right. If I have to go to the othe side of the log to get all the way though a large log the two cuts are darn near 3/4 of a foot apart
Should I take this saw back to TractorSupply?

I have read a hundred posts about saws cutting a curve. This is a new saw. I have sharpened the chain with no change. I flipped the bar with no change. I ran a Mac130 for years and it never cut a curve that made any difference. I have sharpened my chains and never caused an issue.
I'm dealing with my Poulan 4218 that is cutting on a curve to the right. I just went out and did some more cutting. I cut a smaller log, 12-14 inch diameter and it cut through pretty darn straight. Then I cut the 18-24 incher again and I got a curved cut. I noticed that half way through the log it is cutting straight(with the saw held level) but then at the widest part of the log I start dipping the rear end of the saw while leaving the tip pointing upward. THIS is where the saw starts cutting crooked...when I leave the tip where it is in the log and bring the back of the saw down though the widest part (is there a word for this action?). From there its curve city all the way. By the end of the cut I am a good 3-4 inches to the right. If I have to go to the othe side of the log to get all the way though a large log the two cuts are darn near 3/4 of a foot apart

"18-91-62-y8"
Wouldn't the 2nd number on the bar (91) be the number on the chain? Is the bar gauge exactly the same as the chain? So you are saying that the bar "18-91-62-y8" does NOT go with a Oregon 91 chain?
I can not find anything on line that states the gauge for a poulan bar

The chain on the saw is stamped with "oregon 91" (suprised its Oregon) which https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/p...ght-saw-chain/c/finding-the-right-saw-chain-s says is .050". The bar is stamped with "18-91-62-y8" which I assume means .062".
The chain is a very common Oregon 91 series chain.
Bar code is 18 for 18" bar,
91 for the chain series,
62 for number of drive links.
I don't know what the code y-8 is but suspect it is a bar profile.
I suspect this is the correct bar and chain for your saw but I would still take it back. You got good advice to let them figure it out.
We ceratainly can't see anything from here!

Its going back, hopefully tomorrow. This was a floor model that did not come with a box so who knows. When I got the saw the first thing I did was check the chain. It was so tight it could not be moved. So who knows who did what to it.

Can you post some pics of the bar and chain? Did the chain look brand new? Perhaps it was a return.

If this was a return, they put the new chain on it before selling it to you. I’m pretty sure tractor supply would only have .050 and maybe .043 chain to put back on it. Pictures of any markings on the bar would help. .050 on an .062 bar would do what you are seeing as mentioned above by @singinwoodwackr

The stamp on the bar is just what it says in post #7 plus it says "530044693". The chain does look new. Sorry, I don't have a camera on hand. When I exchange the saw I will compare the bar and chain and let you all know what it has. I will also tell you how it cuts. Thanks for all you help.

it is not a .063 bar, they don’t make .063 bars for the small series of saws, bar is .050
It may have .043 chain on it-but even .043 chain on .050 bar will cut straight for most part- they will usually bind in cut as cutters have a smaller kerf Not much wider than a .050 bar.
It is more than likely the chain has hit something and damaged one side of the cutters more than other side.
Sharper side will pull to its side as duller side can not remove same amount of wood, at the same rate as sharper side-thus cutting to one side.
without pics of both sides of cutters it is all a matter of opinion
ps- cutting is done by the chrome plating on cutter-“Crome peel“ (just like on a cylinder) is why a chain can feel sharp to finger- but will not cut.

I have read a hundred posts about saws cutting a curve. This is a new saw. I have sharpened the chain with no change. I flipped the bar with no change. I ran a Mac130 for years and it never cut a curve that made any difference. I have charpened my chains and never caused an issue.
The 91 chain is LP, and easy to get cutters on one side LONGER than the other. Longer side will pull in that direction. Get all L/R cutters= same length and all will cut straight.

Back