chainsaw exaust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawchap

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
why do chainsaws use a squarish box for the exhaust dirt bikes use something called a expansion camber does the chainsaw stock use anything like that? I am looking to modify some exausts on saws I own. so far I have done more damage than anything. cost money to learn has anyone come up with ways to modify mufflers successfully thanks happy new year to all.

Not really a tuned exhaust more for emissions and sound deadening. That said if you open up the muffler to much it will run lean. A tuned expansion chamber is not really practical unless it’s a race saw. I usually go 1/2 to 5/8 the size of the exhaust port for the muffler opening
how do you weld on the pipe? what type of welder do you use?

I'm a fan of small r/c motors. With expansion chambers.
There are 2 basic ways to quiet a 2 stroke.
Baffles, back pressure, and restrictions.
And
Tuned pipes.
A properly made tuned pipe has many drawbacks. It only gives more power at specific rpm's. It is big. It is heavy. But, when set up correctly, they work well. They quiet the motor, and increase power.
Baffles, back pressure, and restrictions, are the most common way to quiet a 2 stroke. They are small. They are light weight. And, they also PROTECT the rings from cold air, in the exhaust. When you drill extra holes, in a small muffler, you let pressure out faster, you (usually) make it louder, and a bit more power. For this reason, you may need to add hearing protection to your ears, if you don't want hearing aids @ 45 yrs old.
Some saws are too loud with stock muffler.
The best way to silence a saw, is to leave it at the house. And get a hand saw! But, that's not going to get a cord of wood in a few hours.
So, don't forget the hearing protection.
N

I have never heard of a reason to use tuned exhaust for chain saws. Yes I could build a 40 plus HP saw motor that would rip through logs like they were made of butter then what. With out a huge investment of R & D the saw would be dangerous clumbsy and just plain impractical. There are many threads here that discusses these issues. Saws are designed and built around the parameters that we see today. A few small modifications will yield improvements but not earth shattering. Thanks

I guess the reason I want to do it is learn and test science I heard long time ago anything is possible if you put your mind to it I live in the usa and most folks me included want things I cant afford.

A bit clumsy, no.

090jot.jpg

Not really a tuned exhaust more for emissions and sound deadening. That said if you open up the muffler to much it will run lean. A tuned expansion chamber is not really practical unless it’s a race saw. I usually go 1/2 to 5/8 the size of the exhaust port for the muffler opening

I've read 80 - 90% of the size of the exhaust port for optimal back pressure. I would really like to know what is ideal for an everyday use saw, or one that flows a little better than stock with some disregard for noise levels.

why do chainsaws use a squarish box for the exhaust dirt bikes use something called a expansion camber does the chainsaw stock use anything like that? I am looking to modify some exausts on saws I own. so far I have done more damage than anything. cost money to learn has anyone come up with ways to modify mufflers successfully thanks happy new year to all.
An expansion chamber optimizes power within a certain rpm range. Sound waves reflect back part of the charge that’s intentionally overscavenged out of the exhaust port and fills the cylinder with more charge than it ordinarily would be able to fill itself with. It’s kinda like mechanical sonic powered super charging. At least IMHO, it’s a race only application for a saw.

You can’t create pipe effects with a muffler. The box design is used because it works and fits the application. A pipe would get in the way with the normal uses and positions one uses a saw in.

Back