Chainsaw files

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciscoguy01

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Couple of things on this subject I'd like to get some info from everyone on. How many people in here still sharpen their chains by hand with a file? I do all the time and have for years. Also, I've gotten several files from different mfg's. Seems like some of them wear out alot quicker than others. The oregon seems to work pretty well and lasts a long time, so do the stihl files. There were a couple others that last for maybe 4 or 5 sharpenings, then they were shot. Specially because where I cut all the time there's a lot of stone walls, those dag nab things get me all the time. The other day I was cutting a beech log, probably about 24" diameter, and was have a rough time getting through, lucky me, I found a hollow that a rock had grown into. Needless to say some profanity flew as it was a brand new chain I had just put on. I also use the carlton chain file guide. I'd get a guide, but in the woods, that's just more stuff to carry around and not very feasible. Soooo, to sum up the questions, what types of hand files do you all use? and how many of you still sharpen your saws by hand on the bed or your truck or on the ground??? Thanks

Oregon and Best files are what I generaly use. Also I always file in the shop in my vise and take spare chains out in the field with me.

rotax

I usually just file by hand (Oregon) while I take a break. On the tailgate of my pick up or sitting on a stump. Just like you say.

Oregon and Stihl files primarily, have not noticed either outlasting the other. Have used off brands in the past and usually break 'em half and discard after 3-4 filings. I always sharpen by hand, usually w/o guide as I always use the same chain and have it down pretty good. I accomplish my sharpening duties in my shop at the bench vise while seated in my bar stool with a frosty beverage at hand.:cheers: Sharpen many loops, take many sips. Carry extra loops in the field so I don't have to tail gate or stump sharpen unless I'm having a REAL bad day with chains. Thank goodness I've not had one of those in long time.

Whatever files I find on the shelves. I don't worry about how long they last as they are far cheaper than paying a shop to sharpen, just toss them when they quit biting. Of course I bought a HF grinder this year (still leaning on it) so won't be doing much filing any more (I hope). Couldn't see what I was doing hand filing any more. I also sharpen in the shop and carry extra chains with me.

Harry K

Pferd files. Did not like Oregon. Use the Pferd file guide and am pretty pleased with it. I have used some files that were made in the Philippines and they were horrible. A few other brands were okay but always go back to Pferd. I would guess that Pferd files do not last as long(usable cutting ability) as others but they work very well for me and are cheap. I have never used Stihl files.

I allways file by hand.
The only brands that are readily availiable here are Stihl and German made Husky/Jred.

The Husky/Jred files have the best "bite", and are the ones I prefer, even though they may wear out faster.

I use Stihl or Husky files. It depends on what dealer I'm at when I remember I need files. Never really noticed a difference between the 2. I've also got some Total brand files for 1/4" pitch chain, they hold up good also.
I don't freehand file. I've got the Stihl clamp on guide. In the future I might spring for the Stihl bench mount file guide.

Ed

I use Stihl files with the guide, hand file, do at least two loops per saw in the workshop, but I have a nifty little stump vice that can be banged into a cut in a log to do touchups out on the job, it really beats kneeling with the saw wedged between your knees wobbling all over the place.

I tried the stihl chain vice and sharpener setup, but I could never get to grips with it, IMO I've found it quicker and easier to do them by hand.

chain sharpener

ever thought about a 12 volt or 110 powered bar mount or bench grinder. i finally myself bought a cheap bench mount grinder. it was less than $100.00
it makes life a heck of alot easer. fileing is getting harder as i get older and need to wear %#%% glasses:rockn: :rockn: :chainsaw:

Heat

brushswamper said:
ever thought about a 12 volt or 110 powered bar mount or bench grinder. i finally myself bought a cheap bench mount grinder. it was less than $100.00
it makes life a heck of alot easer. fileing is getting harder as i get older and need to wear %#%% glasses:rockn: :rockn: :chainsaw:

I tried one of those attachments for the Dremel, it actually does a good job, BUT, man o man, they dull fast. I believe it takes the temper out of the steel. Those suckers dull like nobodys business after a round with those damn dremels.

Old Timer Tip

I learned a pretty neat trick from an old time logger that used surgical rubber tubing to keep his files from rusting when not in use, just slide the file into the tubing after filing. This has worked very well for me for many years, it also makes knowing which file is good much easier. I also have copied his habit of keeping his whole supply of new files in a waterproof sealed tupperware container.

He was a cheap penny pinching SOB and proud of it, I copied that too!

jomoco

Great idea

jomoco said:
I learned a pretty neat trick from an old time logger that used surgical rubber tubing to keep his files from rusting when not in use, just slide the file into the tubing after filing. This has worked very well for me for many years, it also makes knowing which file is good much easier. I also have copied his habit of keeping his whole supply of new files in a waterproof sealed tupperware container.

He was a cheap penny pinching SOB and proud of it, I copied that too!

jomoco

Awesome idea dude. Thanks for the info ALL

Back