• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Chainsaw for Milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim_10

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Looking to purchase a good size chainsaw for CSMing.
I'm not picky about brand or age of saw just needs to be running good (don't mind fixing one up though either just can't be too bad) and able to find parts for it if the need arises. Not trying to break the bank though either.

I'm in Central California for shipping purposes.

Whats the budget?

<$500 for saw and if any parts are needed to get it running efficiently including bar and chain... Of course that would be ideal to get my feet wet in the CSMing. Not everything is ideal though so I understand that.

I've had some good luck with Facebook finding some saws. Just got an old Pioneer 620 yesterday. 103cc for $200.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

I've had some good luck with Facebook finding some saws. Just got an old Pioneer 620 yesterday. 103cc for $200.

I think it all depends where you live for the most part...
To me it seems like most good tools are found back east area. In my neck of the woods it's hard to come by the good stuff.

To me it seems like most good tools are found back east area. In my neck of the woods it's hard to come by the good stuff.
Some luck involved too. Lol. I've seen other Pioneers for 300 to 500 that looked like junk.

Disagree. You’re in the land of Big Saws... scan Norcal and The North West.

Erik

My friend has a 051 with a 30’’ bar . He wants 300.00 for it . Run great . Shipping wouldn’t be cheap its a heavy saw .

Disagree. You’re in the land of Big Saws... scan Norcal and The North West.

Erik
^^This^^

@Tim_10 start perusing the Sacramento, SF Bay area, Stockton, Modesto CL. Heck even the Red Bluff, Redding, Yuba City, Chico CL.

I lived in N. California, and scored quite a few big saws. 2100CD out of Redding, Homelite 750 and Stihl 075 out of Reno, P51 out of Jackson, etc.

I'll have to expand my search it sounds! I looked into the Homelite XP 1100 but I was informed that parts availability would be scarce and that it was a collectors saw, also I contacted the seller and the saw had some recent repairs and hadn't been tested under load so I had asked if it could be tested under load and didn't hear back from the seller.

Any updates ??

Erik

Yes, ended up getting a 660 with big bore kit from AS member SST73.
Kept looking around my area to no avail. There were some but either pricey, older with scarce parts availability, or the sellers just fell through.

Not sure if I should start a new thread or just continue with this one but have a few questions before I start CSMing.
What's everybody's opinion on break in period on a new set of rings before I start milling?
32:1 ratio with the carb tuned a little rich for milling is what I've been reading, right or wrong?
Any special oil/gas?
Next is bar/chain size...I have the Granberg 36" mill already. I'll be milling smallish pistachio and larger beetle Kill Pine. My thoughts are a 36" bar but I'm not sure what'll cut the best in the woods mentioned... (.375/.050), (.375/.063, or (.404/.063)?
Also what's everyone using for a compression tester, would like to test my older chainsaws. I picked up a harbor freight one but with extension tube on I was getting false low readings (no Schrader valve at the end of the tube so I had to use those shorter ones with the rubber universal tip but that thing was a PITA!

Thanks for all the input!

I ran my saw (661) a few hours of firewood cutting before milling. As far as oil, that's a touchy subject. I'm no engine expert but I'm just running Red Armour 50:1. Some say more oil is better and others say it affects cooling. Others with more experience may help you more. Run the .063 gauge. It'll carry more oil. I'm running 3/8 but considering switching to .404 as others say it's tougher and holds an edge better. Check the milling threads. Tons of great info there to help you out. Get ready to sharpen more! Milling puts a workout on the chains. Get a cheap metal detector too. I run Stihl RS and also have a few loops of Woodland Pro (Carlton) ripping chain. The ripping chain runs a little smoother and leaves a little smoother finish but isn't necessary. The Stihl chain holds an edge better. Just a few thoughts from my limited experience.

Latest posts

Back