Chainsaw Hand Filing Stand

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're just packin' it into the woods... not like you are goin' up and down any foot hills... LOL:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Gary

yea yea, we got a few hill around here
Picture034.jpg

Picture035.jpg

The stand is made from a reject highway truck rim, with a brake rotor and a pipe welded onto the rim. The vise is bolted to a steel plate which was welded to the upright pipe. All parts, except the vise, were obtained for free.

The chainsaw bar is 58 inches above the floor. If you are wondering if I am uncommonly tall, that’s not the case. While I sacrifice some in filing ability, I really gain in “Seeing” ability. Anyone over 40 probably knows what I mean. My vise was previously mounted on a work bench which was too low for me to really see the teeth well. The new stand also allows me to move around the saw easily and freely. The stand is pretty heavy and very solid for filing. It is big enough that I can step onto the rim if I want to get closer and higher.

If I’m not actually working on the chainsaw and it is left in the stand, I put my leg chaps over the bar and chain as a safety precaution.

The chainsaw is a Stihl 026 with a 24” bar and skip tooth chain. Most of what I cut is in the 3 to 16 inch diameter range and the 026 can easily deal with that size wood.
You should install a tire on it. It would make ir easier to roll around. I have the same ting for my work flood lights.
Bruce.

Why all the trouble, just clamp the bar in a vice, with powerhead on, tighten the chain, and adjust your (file) handle angle according to how much the chain rocks over - and look closely at what you are doing!

File guides are useful for "mass filing", but not for the final finish.

Last edited:
Why all the trouble, just clamp the bar in a vice, with powerhead on, tighten the chain, and adjust your (file) handle angle according to how much the chain rocks over - and look closely at what you are doing!

File guides are useful for "mass filing", but not for the final finish.

I like this comment! :rock:

Why make things simple when they can be complicated!

This a great idea on saving ones back :D

Who ever would have thought a 026 would pull a 24" b/c :jester:

Latest posts

Back