Chainsaw Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonathanEngr98

Reaction score
Hi, all! I have a Husqvarna e-series 450 chainsaw, and although it cranks and idles fine, it goes dead when I give it throttle. I removed the housing and air filter to see if I could get a better sense of what was happening, and it happens (bogs down and goes dead) as soon as I give it enough throttle to begin opening the butterfly (flap). As soon as it begins to move the engine bogs down, and if I hold it there it goes dead. The chainsaw is relatively new as far as hours go (I bought it 10 years ago or so, and have only used it 10 or so times for maybe a total of 5 hours). Could this be something that is a simple fix, or should I take it to a small engine mechanic? Thanks in advance for any help!

BTW--removed old gas and put in new gas... just to rule that out (not saying the carb isn't gummed up)

Hi, all! I have a Husqvarna e-series 450 chainsaw, and although it cranks and idles fine, it goes dead when I give it throttle. I removed the housing and air filter to see if I could get a better sense of what was happening, and it happens (bogs down and goes dead) as soon as I give it enough throttle to begin opening the butterfly (flap). As soon as it begins to move the engine bogs down, and if I hold it there it goes dead. The chainsaw is relatively new as far as hours go (I bought it 10 years ago or so, and have only used it 10 or so times for maybe a total of 5 hours). Could this be something that is a simple fix, or should I take it to a small engine mechanic? Thanks in advance for any help!

BTW--removed old gas and put in new gas... just to rule that out (not saying the carb isn't gummed up)
Hi JonathanEngr9,

Have you checked the fuel lines? They tend to crack and deteriorate over time.

I haven't. I'm unfamiliar with chainsaw engines... my only "small engine" experience is working on my son's gokart. The top cover of the chainsaw comes off easily with 3 clips--will the fuel lines likely be visible from there? I'll go take a look and see what I can see.

How tight is your chain? Can you slide it freely down the bar by hand with the chain brake disengaged and the saw turned off?

If not, check the chain tension or remove the bar and chain and try it with the bare powerhead.

After that, it’s time to look at something along the lines of rebuilding the carb or collapsing fuel lines - both likely causes due to your lengthy storage between uses with fuel in the saw.

Personally I drain the fuel then run it til the carb is sucked dry if I won’t need a 2-stroke powered tool within a month or so.

My chain does move freely--it was the first thing I checked. Most likely it was the intermittent use. I used the chainsaw regularly the first year, and after that I just didn't store it properly. I'm afraid that any tinkering I do might be more harmful than good, so I'm just going to take it to someone who is qualified to go through it and get it running again. Thank you Bailey's Inc and MemphisMechanic for replying!

Did you happen to read this one?

"Any CHAINSAW RELATED topics will probably get better answers in the CHAINSAW FORUM.

Whether it's saws, chains, type of oils to use. :)

Clicky on linky to go to the CHAINSAW FORUM

Gary"

That being said. That is a symptom of being too lean on the low carburetor setting.

Try making it a bit richer. That is turn L carb screw counter clockwise ~ 1/8-1/4 turn. This will effect idle speed and that may also need adjustment.

If you make it too rich the saw will die at idle. If you make it too lean the saw will race and chain will spin

Mad Professor--Thanks! I will give that a shot today. The "H" and "L" areas are deep, and there's a bit of "gunk" in them. I can't tell if it takes a special tool. Do you know if it takes a flathead screwdriver, allen wrench, etc.?

And no--I didn't see the post about the chainsaw forum. My bad... I should have looked more closely!

Mad Professor--Thanks! I will give that a shot today. The "H" and "L" areas are deep, and there's a bit of "gunk" in them. I can't tell if it takes a special tool. Do you know if it takes a flathead screwdriver, allen wrench, etc.?

And no--I didn't see the post about the chainsaw forum. My bad... I should have looked more closely!
Most of the husky/poulans will take a splined carb adjuster tool for the high and low then a flathead for the idle.1604070601245.png

Back