Chainsaw Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAWoodsman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

New to the site and hoping for some guidance on a new saw. Im not using this for work, however it does see a bit of use yearly cutting down 3-5 oaks and cutting into firewood. As well as yard cleanup. I like the idea of the battery powered saws and have been looking at the Echo DCS-5000. Im not completely against a gas saw, but the electrics have many benefits. Im also not opposed to getting a used gas saw and modifying it to get better performance. What would you all suggest?

Sounds like you already have something for a saw. What would it be? Next would be an idea of the size of the oaks you plan to cut, also the finished volume of firewood you're talking.
A battery saw as a backup (or even primary use) might interest me, but I'd never be without a (several) gas saws. Don't forget to factor extra batteries into the equation. One battery won't cut a whole lot of wood.
With some more input on your planned use you'll get plenty of thoughts. Several will be pro grade very large saws! Personally I'd look at some of the Echos. Specifics would depend on answering questions above.

I currently have a Stihl 180 with a 16in bar on it. And while its done the job for years, its time to get something new. I went and put my hands on the DCS-5000 and man is that thing a beast with the battery in it at 15lbs. I couldnt imagine working with that thing all day long. Weight and performance are my biggest factors. The trees im cutting up can range from 3in - 24in diameter.
The little echo 2511p with a 14in .043in setup had good reviews and is only 6lbs...

I would suggest an Echo CS-400. I got a CS-370(nearly the same saw) more than 12 years ago. It’s been abused and neglected in every way possible. I’ve been taking care of it and running it properly for the last 6 or 7 years and it runs better than new. I just ordered a new one in Shindaiwa dress because I love them so much and know that I won’t need to buy another 40cc saw again. Run e-free fuel and good quality mix as well as remove the cat from the muffler and learn about tuning and you’ll have a saw half the price of the electric Echo that you’ll have forever.

I currently have a Stihl 180 with a 16in bar on it. And while its done the job for years, its time to get something new. I went and put my hands on the DCS-5000 and man is that thing a beast with the battery in it at 15lbs. I couldnt imagine working with that thing all day long. Weight and performance are my biggest factors. The trees im cutting up can range from 3in - 24in diameter.
The little echo 2511p with a 14in .043in setup had good reviews and is only 6lbs...
The new echo 4910 is a 50cc saw a little over 10lbs. Lightest 50 cc on the market right now. Magnesium crankcases, adjustable oiler. Pretty much a pro quality saw except for the plastic handlebar.

The new echo 4910 is a 50cc saw a little over 10lbs. Lightest 50 cc on the market right now. Magnesium crankcases, adjustable oiler. Pretty much a pro quality saw except for the plastic handlebar.
Stihl runs plastic handles all the way up to 60cc on pro saws. But I agree, the 4910 is a fine, light saw.

I would never buy a battery saw. Many reasons are cause in 10 yrs.(1) when that battery goes bad, it will cost you $500 to replace. (2),, Many times , when people REALLY need a chainsaw , it is cause the power is out. ( 3) when I am way out on northern Wis. county land cutting firewood, there is no electricity. (4) I may be wrong, but battery saws are not cheap. I can take a 1/2 gallon of gas and a jug of bar fluid and keep my smaller saw going many hours. I got 7 cord in the back yard. All are cut into 20" pieces, and about half is split in small pieces. The chainsaw used about 2 or 3 gallons of gas. The splitter used about the same , but I doubt I used more than 5 gallons . If I split the other half , it will take about 3? more gallons. That is only gallons of gas. I dont think a battery can run with a gas chainsaw in any way. I think battery saws are for little jobs. I bough an Echo 620P. it is a good saw, not as good as the Echo boys say it is, but it is good. I am also looking into a new Stihl 262 for $620 plus tax, or the latest version. I might buy a Echo 501p. to replace the old 026 that has a crank case leak. I think one of the 2 50 cc saw will be very good for you. The Echo 501 is about $500 with tax. If that is a bit much the Echo 4910 is a little less of a saw than the 501P, but looks the same and feels the same and it is about $400 with tax.

I ordered my CS-4910 today (from Acme tools, no dealer here) I already have a CS-310, 590, 620P.
The new 4910 is replacing an MS-180CB-E that runs great but is tired, do I really need an excuse to buy a new saw? Price was $359. delivered.

Hi All,

New to the site and hoping for some guidance on a new saw. Im not using this for work, however it does see a bit of use yearly cutting down 3-5 oaks and cutting into firewood. As well as yard cleanup. I like the idea of the battery powered saws and have been looking at the Echo DCS-5000. Im not completely against a gas saw, but the electrics have many benefits. Im also not opposed to getting a used gas saw and modifying it to get better performance. What would you all suggest?
I've had a corded electic worx chainsaw for years around the house. No maintainence besides sharpening the chain. Heck I don't run bar oil anymore it just keeps going. I have a Stihl 026. I picked up for $200. It does a lot of work and I would recommend it. I replaced fuel lines and fuel filter air cleaner and got a carb rebuild kit but worth every penny. I run a square grind chain and 18" bar with 3/8 chain. Love the thing. I think its like 48cc but it throws chips like a boss and light weight. I have a 372xp that is 71cc i think. Its about 20lbs with bar oil and fuel. It's good for a 24" bar
. I had an ms391. Dropped it and busted the plastic handle. Never again. Should have gone with the ms362 lighter and more power.

I ended up with the CS-4910. With an 18in Bar with a full tank of gas and oil, it weighs 14lb 3oz. My 180C with a 16in bar with a full tank of gas and oil is 12lbs. Amzing that this 50cc is only 2lbs more with a bigger bar.

Hi All,

Pros of a battery saw is 'no gas needed' which is great.

Cons of a battery saw are you will need to purchase extra batterys as they drain quickly.
DO NOT believe the hype of how many cuts per charge - it will be half of what they claim, maybe less.
You cannot push a battery saw like a gas or you will burn it out quickly.

I recently purchased the RYOBI HP 40v 18" chainsaw.
They say it is equivalent to a 45cc = NOPE = my 39cc gas Makita out cuts it.
I like the saw but it is special use only and I am going to buy another one because you need 2 as they get hot and shut down.
Great for very short duration cutting = a dozen cuts on 14"-18" diameter log
The smaller the diameter log the more cuts you can make.

I bought a battery pole saw, M18 as I had some other Milwaukee stuff.
It's ok, works fine, does not oil well. Can get an hour of work done on an 8AH battery.

Since I use it with a brushcutter which is gas, I do a lot of clearing, and then use the pole saw sporadically.
So having the battery and not having to start/stop a gas saw for light work saves a lot of time and energy.

But anything larger than6-8 inches and gas saws only, takes way to long with the battery pole saw.

For lots of start stop work, the battery is fantastic.

Hi All,

Welcome to AS
I'd say that if you're not cutting lots, don't spend lots.
Get a middle of the road gas saw. Like around a 50cc class.
Any of the well known brands make good saws in that range.
You could also add a battery one by one of the tool makers like Dewalt or Milwaukee especially if you have their tools to help with battery swapping.
I have a Dewalt 12" battery saw for nippin off branches and general pruning of live trees on my property. They're easy to use, no mixing fuels, quiet, light weight and a great addition.

You are going to be very unhappy with a battery saw attempting to cut down and process 24" trees for firewood every year.

If you want one saw to do it all, I would suggest a 60cc saw with a 24" bar. Echo CS590, Stihl 391 or 362, Husqvarna 460.

A battery saw for quick cleanup jobs in the yard, no problem. A battery saw for processing entire trees into firewood to heat your home on a yearly basis, no way.

You are going to be very unhappy with a battery saw attempting to cut down and process 24" trees for firewood every year.

If you want one saw to do it all, I would suggest a 60cc saw with a 24" bar. Echo CS590, Stihl 391 or 362, Husqvarna 460.

A battery saw for quick cleanup jobs in the yard, no problem. A battery saw for processing entire trees into firewood to heat your home on a yearly basis, no way.
Project Farm on YouTube did a test of battery operated saw this year, good source for information

Latest posts

Back