Chainsaw knocking sound

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Gord, thanks for the message! I took the top end off and checked it all out. There is wear in the piston but bottom end is all good. Without the muffler I don’t get that same noise so that’s what has led me to believe it’s muffler related. However maybe I’m wrong and it’s not exhaust. Have a listen without the muffler on and let me know your thoughts as to if you can still hear anything.

yes I agree with you, I have a small 170 not in great shape inside that I rarely ever use and when it goes to saw heaven so be it but to me its not worth putting any time or money into and Have a Husky 51 and is rebuilt because it is worth it to me, the 2 saws I use most for firewood are a 372xpg and a 385xp both ported top ends- generally large wood in my area.

Sounds just like some of the certain range of 026’s that come in with exact same sound, sometimes the piston slap noise is louder than the exhaust. Was there a different in the thickness in the piston skit intake vs exhaust side near bottom? Usually a new piston cures it.

045s/056s are known for wearing the intake skirt due to the less than stellar air filters and filter location. Spit back is a problem and I imagine piston slap as well. Lots of these saws also had fine mesh filters rather than flocked.
Spot on, had a mesh filter when I got it. I would love to try a new piston seeing as an 08s I’m working on is making the same clinking sound and this skirt is more worn I just can’t find NOS OEM.

Latest posts

Back