Chainsaw locked up???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keebs751

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Poulan 4218 chainsaw, i had it running good this afternoon then the power started to decrease and it finally stopped. I let it sit for about an hour tried it and it started, once it got hot the same thing happened again so I let it sit...AGAIN. But this time when i tried to start, I cant budge the rip cord at all. Any thoughts on what this might be. So I dont pull out the rest of my hair. Thanks in advance.

I have a Poulan 4218 chainsaw, i had it running good this afternoon then the power started to decrease and it finally stopped. I let it sit for about an hour tried it and it started, once it got hot the same thing happened again so I let it sit...AGAIN. But this time when i tried to start, I cant budge the rip cord at all. Any thoughts on what this might be. So I dont pull out the rest of my hair. Thanks in advance.
Too lean ?

I have a early 2000's Jonsered 38cc, which is essentially a Red Poulan Pro. Once it heats up, that's it... she needs to rest in the shade for an hour. I run 40/1.

Update...after about an hour of working the rip cord, all is moving freely.

Good to hear! Believe it or not, I was going to suggest checking out the recoil starter assembly.

Wait. Wait. If the saw was seized and the OP pulled and pulled till it rotates freely, he hasn't fixed anything.

Back