chainsaw logger tape

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trx250r180

Saw polisher
Reaction score
Iv'e been wanting one of these for a while now ,lot more handy than a reg tape with the nail in the end ,and can get these wet and they still work ,it also has little diamonds every 16 inches for the firewood guys that have to have perfect lengths every time ,i like the nail in the end ,just yank the tape after the cut and it pulls out of the wood ,this one is 75 feet long ,i saw a 50 foot there tooView attachment 285769 View attachment 285770 View attachment 285771

Last edited:
T
Iv'e been wanting one of these for a while now ,lot more handy than a reg tape with the nail in the end ,and can get these wet and they still work ,it also has little diamonds every 16 inches for the firewood guys that have to have perfect lengths every time ,i like the nail in the end ,just yank the tape after the cut and it pulls out of the wood ,this one is 75 feet long ,i saw a 50 foot there tooView attachment 285769 View attachment 285770 View attachment 285771

I like the stihl better,I got the 50 feet

addition to my post ,the nail didn't come with it ,luckily i opened the box at the counter of the saw shop and noticed ,they had a bunch of them and put one on for me ,i haven't seen the stihl ,if anyone has pics ,be great to see ,most of the cutters seem to have this one around here though

Last edited:
Yes please explain why the Stihl is superior to the Spencer. The spencers have been out for a long time, around here its the most common, they get beat around, used on soft wood oozing sap, rain, snow, you name it. You can buy new springs and tape for them, what's better than that? They come in several different lenghts, they seem reasonably priced, even go one sale at Baileys from time to time.

Just because in China they painted STIHL on it doesn't make it any better.

A horse shoe nail is used. You will probably want to bend it to suit your needs.

A sporting event that is sometimes done while the timber cruising crew is waiting to be picked up at the end of the day is tape racing. That beats the usual rock throwing, depending on the fatigue level.

We used the 75 footers with the opposite side being a D-tape (diameter measuring tape). We always bought the Spencers.

Oh, be careful, you could put your eye out!

What do you like better about it? Does it hold up as well as the Spencer? Can you adjust how fast it retracts? How about cost?

Just curious.

Yes please explain why the Stihl is superior to the Spencer. The spencers have been out for a long time, around here its the most common, they get beat around, used on soft wood oozing sap, rain, snow, you name it. You can buy new springs and tape for them, what's better than that? They come in several different lenghts, they seem reasonably priced, even go one sale at Baileys from time to time.

Just because in China they painted STIHL on it doesn't make it any better.

Yes, but it costs more so it has to be better.

What do you like better about it? Does it hold up as well as the Spencer? Can you adjust how fast it retracts? How about cost?

Just curious.

You don't have to modify it with a nail,yes you can adjust it,the price in Denmark is about 70$quality?dont know,have not tryid spencer,but have read alot off good stuff about it

Last edited:
All I know is the Spencer (with horse nail) hurts when the spring is to tight :msp_ohmy:

I think Spencer is the industry standard for logging tapes. When using in snow/rain/mud, always a good idea to clean them off and a lil WD-40.. They'll last forever.

I think Spencer is the industry standard for logging tapes. When using in snow/rain/mud, always a good idea to clean them off and a lil WD-40.. They'll last forever.

Not if you drop them on pavement. The case will dent. It was hard to rewind after that. I seem to drop things when loading up in the morning, or unloading in the afternoon. Parking lots cause damage to things that are dropped. My little camera still kind of works after meeting the pavement.

I have only seen Spencer tapes used here.
Everybody from the log cutters, buckers and the knot bumpers.
I had a old one my dad used for years, I took it out with my grandson and my son in law.
I was bucking up the firewood and my SIL was marking the log with a Hatchet and my tape..
You can guess what happened..

:bang::bang::bang:

I have only seen Spencer tapes used here.
Everybody from the log cutters, buckers and the knot bumpers.
I had a old one my dad used for years, I took it out with my grandson and my son in law.
I was bucking up the firewood and my SIL was marking the log with a Hatchet and my tape..
You can guess what happened..

:bang::bang::bang:

Some swearing and a my bad :bang::bang::bang:

Latest posts

Back