chainsaw oil+what in the winter??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Tim, I just use thinner stuff & keep my heavy for summer. If you dont want to do that, you could always mix some thin with the heavy but its still probably going to be too thick.

Motor Oil (Virgin , not waste oil)

I use generic branded motor oil, multiviscocity, seems to work OK in the cold, the regular bar oil gets real thick in the cold.

Doesn't the oil kind of get heated in the tank on the saw? I use the APEX stuff from Baileys and it is pretty thick pouring it but it does lube the bar nice.

Motion Lotion APEX Blend Bar & Chain Oil - Case of 3 Gallons

Our new APEX blend Motion Lotion Bar and Chain Oil is formulated to reduce "throw-off," reduce wear on your chainsaw bar and provide proper lubrication for all seasons. Our special APEX blend is ideal for year-round all-weather use down to -30 F! because it's made with multi-viscosity 100% virgin, high quality base oils — only the best, here! The professional quality tackifier and additives help keep pitch and sap from sticking to your bar and chain. Motion Lotion APEX? Improves the cutting performance of any chainsaw while extending the life of your bar and chain. Motion Lotion APEX blend is manufactured to exceed all major manufacturer's specifications. 30 Weight Oil.

And a under $7 a gallon............

There is only one oil That I can think off There is pretty thin,that is echo,everything else is thikker

Diesel, Hydraulic oil both work well to thin the thicker bar oil when it gets below about -10c.

Just a dollop of either will thin things down in the jug, and is a lot cheaper than winter blend.

I dunno about prices there, so it may be just as effective to try the Echo stuff.

Stay safe!
Digeryote

Both husky and stihl offer “winter weight” bar oil. According to the cap on the husky brand, summer is 30W and winter is 10W. For stihl, summer is red (bottle not the oil) and winter is blue. Normally I don’t bother with winter weight in my huskies. Set the oiler to max and it pumps just fine at -10F. Stihls (t200s) I just keep under the seat where it is warm and they do fine as well. My ms440 likes winter weight all year round. Be a rebel and by a bottle of both and blend them together for a 20 weight.

hot oil

If you can't pre-warm the oil it can be thinned with diesel fuel or kerosene.

I believe that the saw works to keep me warm, so I use the wood the saw cuts to keep the saw working ; i.e. I keep my jug of bar oil sitting on the wood stack next to the wood stove where it stays nice and toasty. I mean not so close it is dangerous, but it stays good and warm. If it is really cold out and a longish time before it goes into the saw on a trip out, just stick it in an old cooler. It'll stay warm, then the engine running will keep it warm and flowing good.

Many moons ago I was living in a cabin with no electricity, no garage, etc with sub zero temps, meaning I couldn't plug in my jeep block heater or anything, meaning that thing had a good chance of not starting.... solution was to pull the battery after every drive, bring it in where it stayed warmer until needed. Same idea. If it is critical to be warm to work..then warm it up!

to make it thinner ??

I think it´s hard fore the pump also

Use your brain. A saw generates heat. Next time you have a hot saw with a full tank of oil, stick your finger in there and see how cold it is. . . . .

You just have to learn how to glug the oil out of the jug into the saw. . . . .

Use your brain. A saw generates heat. Next time you have a hot saw with a full tank of oil, stick your finger in there and see how cold it is. . . . .

:agree2:

When I start out he saws are relatively warm, (heated garage and riding in Suburban) and the running saw certainly will warm up the oil in a hurry.

ok i´ll give it a try,i just dont want to destroy anything,thats why i asked in the first place............ still alot to learn and still a newbie

We just cut 40,000 board feet and untold amounts of pulp today in 15-20 degree weather with 20-40 mph winds. We used Tractor Supply and Stihl Summer grade bar oil, no problems whatsoever.

Just get it into the tank and the saw will warm it up.

That is what we did, as we don't have time for oil warming practices, LOL.

Sam

Back