Chainsaw over heating

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wvdane4x4

Reaction score
Hi I have a McCulloch pro mac 10-10s , I have had it since new in 86 just the other day it stated get hot in the gas tank you could hear the gas boiling , I keep my saw clean after each use Help please :dizzy:

woodfarmer said:
gypo,would you run stihl oil at recommnded 50:1 for an 066, or 40:1, i have read some are mixing at 32:1
Since my introduction to modified saws, all the builders agree that 32:1 is what to mix or at least 40:1. The 50:1 is more of an EPA emmisions thing than what is best for your saw.
I never had any failures I could attribute to 50:1, but with 32:1 just seems right with the extra power of the mods so I go with that. I think my saws are lasting longer with the thicker mix though, except when I drive over them. lol
John

When we were still using the Macs we were running a 32:1 mix and boiling gas/vapor locking was a common problem, (on the fireline), with both Macs and Homelites.
The real problem was the design of the saw. Gas tank basically attached to the cylinder. Great way to heat the gas.
Tricks of the trade were to 1) Only partially refill the tank on warm/hot days ; leave a 1" air gap, 2) Keep your gas can in the shade, 3) If you could, partially refill your tank and then let it boil for 10+ minutes, 4) Re-start your saw with the gas cap off.
Admittedly, #4 is not the best safety option.
This is a design problem that you'll just have to work around.

I been running 40 to 1 mix in my saw since I bought it in 1986 just in the last two times I have run the saw it gets really hot and the temp outside was only 60f I put a new air filter on and a new gas filter took out the plug and check it .. need help don't want to hurt my saw

Latest posts

Back