Chainsaw Overheating FIX

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Runs the same in my expiereance. Although if it did run different you could chalk it upntonthings like different resonance, less restrictive flow, etc.
Runs the same in my expiereance. Although if it did run different you could chalk it upntonthings like different resonance, less restrictive flow, etc.
I have always set saw up with filter/cylinder cover on, as i have a few times found a difference- i just did a 357xp today and 200rpm drop with top cover off- winter shutter did not change rpm open or closed that i noticed
so could these vents make saw run cooler (from OP claims) cause the rpm is decreased a bit below spec if carb is not reset?
would a mtronic or autotune show a difference in temp as carb would adjust to optimum?

I have always set saw up with filter/cylinder cover on, as i have a few times found a difference- i just did a 357xp today and 200rpm drop with top cover off- winter shutter did not change rpm open or closed that i noticed
so could these vents make saw run cooler (from OP claims) cause the rpm is decreased a bit below spec if carb is not reset?
would a mtronic or autotune show a difference in temp as carb would adjust to optimum?
Vents aren't going to make the saw run cooler. They are added to keepnthe carb cooler so you don't have boiling issues. If your not in a hot climate ita just not an issue.

OP was claiming cooler cylinder temps, trying to figure how a hole on air filter cover would make cyl cooler according to him

@bwalker has is right - the vents won't do anything to keep the saw engine running cooler, but they may help keep the carb cooler. The vents are not in the part of the shroud that is used to duct cooling air over the cylinder, they're in the airbox.

Vapor lock happens when the engine is off and heat from the cylinder gets into the aluminum carb, boiling the fuel. Having a duct from the hot cylinder/flywheel area to the airbox does not help this situation, and the vents allow some cooler in, keeping in the carb a little cooler when it's off.

On hot days with very hot saws I often start them on FULL CHOKE, because the fuel is not liquid in the carb and the pump cannot work. The saws I have with greater separation between engine and carb/airbox don't have this problem.

Latest posts

Back