Chainsaw Photos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AUSSIE1

AUSSIE1

Al.
Ned and Wild’s fight site Vic. Australia.
Cutting up a River Redgum for firewood on the weekend. Mate using his 880, I was using my 3120XP. Stump about 48" odd where cut. There was a lot of firewood here! I decided to put the 5100-S up for a photo for the hell of it.
I'm still blowing out red/brown snot 2 days later from the dust :)

Yeah that fine dust is getting past my filters on the saws which I'll have to look into.

heimannm
McCulloch 55

My latest e-Bay acquisition. Seller described it as "Super 250?" so I contacted them asking about numbers stamped on the bottom. Turned out to be a 55 that looked to be in good condition.

The saw arrived this past week, looked pretty clean overall. I pulled the plug to check for spark, fat, blue, and snappy. I put the compression guage on it, 180 PSI. Now I thought all along those stories were made up. Look in the tank, looks clean and smells O.K. I pulled the cover and air filter and saw what looked to be a carburetor needle, high speed needle was not in place so I put it in and backed it off about 1-1/2 turns. A little prime in the carburetor and it fired off on the first pull. Pour fuel in the tank, a little more prime, and not only does it run, it will restart warm, starts cold in a few pulls, and idles like a champ. I even got a chance to put it into some big logs on Saturday and this saw will really cut, even with the 9/16" chain that I haven't touched yet.

Mark

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

parrisw

parrisw

Tree Freak
My latest e-Bay acquisition. Seller described it as "Super 250?" so I contacted them asking about numbers stamped on the bottom. Turned out to be a 55 that looked to be in good condition.

The saw arrived this past week, looked pretty clean overall. I pulled the plug to check for spark, fat, blue, and snappy. I put the compression guage on it, 180 PSI. Now I thought all along those stories were made up. Look in the tank, looks clean and smells O.K. I pulled the cover and air filter and saw what looked to be a carburetor needle, high speed needle was not in place so I put it in and backed it off about 1-1/2 turns. A little prime in the carburetor and it fired off on the first pull. Pour fuel in the tank, a little more prime, and not only does it run, it will restart warm, starts cold in a few pulls, and idles like a champ. I even got a chance to put it into some big logs on Saturday and this saw will really cut, even with the 9/16" chain that I haven't touched yet.

Mark

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Even your bench's are yellow Mark!!

MCW

Somebody's talking crap here & it ain't the tree!
Thanks for the tip Matt.

Yeah Rick (tdirick) is using it as well and neither of us have had issues with garbage getting through the filter since. I just bought some aerosol gear from a Motorcross store. Not cheap ($25 odd) but will last me for years. Don't use too much either - saw will smoke and fart too much till it clears itself ;)

AUSSIE1

AUSSIE1

Al.
Ned and Wild’s fight site Vic. Australia.
Yeah Rick (tdirick) is using it as well and neither of us have had issues with garbage getting through the filter since. I just bought some aerosol gear from a Motorcross store. Not cheap ($25 odd) but will last me for years. Don't use too much either - saw will smoke and fart too much till it clears itself ;)

Yeah I've got some on the shelf from when I had the KTM.
I thought it was getting past between the filter and manifold, but no.
Another idea I might try is an oiled foam sleeve.

Ta.

Nice bit of redgum by the way. Is it pulling any moisture out of the river?

Last edited:

MCW

Somebody's talking crap here & it ain't the tree!
Yeah I've got some on the shelf from when I had the KTM.
I thought it was getting past between the filter and manifold, but no.
Another idea I might try is an oiled foam sleeve.

Ta.

Nice bit of redgum by the way. Is it pulling any moisture out of the river?

Yeah a lot of people on this forum have wrongly assumed, and continue to assume, that the dust is getting around the filter :censored: This is not the case at all. It is going straight through the filter material itself. Stihl, Husky, Dolmar etc etc have all been doing it when the environment is dry and dusty in conditions that many other parts of the world are unfamiliar with.

The mate in the photos has the extreme filter setup from Stihl (under warranty) and has stretched a stocking over the foam filter so it's easier to remove the larger particles in one hit. My 3120XP did probably 40% of the cutting his 880 did and my filter was filthy but had a fair bit of cutting left in it. Nothing looked like it had gotten past my oiled 3120 filter. I think the standard 3120XP filter (oiled) would well and truly match the (expensive unless under warranty) Extreme Filter setup from Stihl for their 880.

Yeah that Redgum had a good amount of wood in it mate. It had been dead for a while. Not sure why though - water would not have been an issue and the trunk section was unaffected by Termites etc. I think saline ground water knocked it off as there was a citrus orchard nearby where excessive irrigation in the past may have been leaching salts past its rootzone towards the river. This was quite common before irrigation restrictions. A lot of beautiful old gums have been dying and suffering along the Murray River due to a lack of floodwater across the floodplains over the last decade or so.

Matt

heimannm
It looks good, how many different model macs do you have now?

gmax - I only list my running saws in the signature line, I do have a few more in waiting.

My long term goal is one of every one man saw from 1948 through the SP models, roughly 30 years worth. I figure I am about 1/3 of the way so far...

parrisw - just sunlight reflecting off all the saws sitting around. I keep the red and orange ones high on a shelf so they don't show so much. There's another small saw up there keeping the Homelites company these days...

Mark

attachment.php

parrisw

parrisw

Tree Freak
parrisw - just sunlight reflecting off all the saws sitting around. I keep the red and orange ones high on a shelf so they don't show so much. There's another small saw up there keeping the Homelites company these days...

Mark

ha ha, oh I see. I guess there is just a lot of yellow going on in your pics. Very cool saws though. I guess sometime I should get my 250 going, i had it running once, just from new gas, and pulling my guts out, then it wouldn't start again. I figure at least a carb rebuild may help.

valekbrothers

valekbrothers

ArboristSite Guru
Update

Here is an older picture of our collection:

attachment.php

We finally picked up a new bar the the 3120 is a little more practical without swapping the bar on the 394. We have a 32" on the 394 and now the 3120 is sporting a shiny new 42".

attachment.php

I can't wait to bury this thing into some real wood...........

Latest posts