Chainsaw porting tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snedding_J

Reaction score
New to the site. Just wondering what the best tools for chainsaw porting are? I've worked on chainsaws for a while but here in UK chainsaw porting is very rare, with little information available. Foredom S-R flexshaft motors are available here with the standard straight handpieces but can't find a 90 degree handpiece. What do people use? Any information on chainsaw porting would be great, it would be for felling/firewood (Stihl ms461) - I'm guessing that wood be classed as woods ported? Many thanks in advance

The foredom stuff is the standard. They make a right angle handpiece, even guys with less expensive equipment use them because that's pretty much all there is for upper transfers. I've heard of people using cut off wheels on dremels to cut them but you can wreck a jug quick like that. I've heard of guys using stuff meant for dental work but I don't think they last long on saw duty.

Depends on how serious you plan to alter a chainsaw cylinder. A variable speed Dremel with or without a flexible shaft and all those little different types of cutters along with mini mandrels for polishing will be a good start for the basic type of porting. That right angle handpiece is very expensive and is used basically for doing the transfers. There are ways around that tool for doing work on the transfers but I am not the person to ask. Unless you plan on becoming a pro builder I would stick with the Dremel just to get a feel for basic porting . It is very easy to ruin a cylinder and a saw by getting carried away with grinding tools.

There is plenty of info here on the site and the internet but you really have to do some digging and reading.

The foredom stuff is the standard. They make a right angle handpiece, even guys with less expensive equipment use them because that's pretty much all there is for upper transfers. I've heard of people using cut off wheels on dremels to cut them but you can wreck a jug quick like that. I've heard of guys using stuff meant for dental work but I don't think they last long on saw duty.
Thanks for the reply. Any ideas where I can find info on the this right angle handpiece?

Depends on how serious you plan to alter a chainsaw cylinder. A variable speed Dremel with or without a flexible shaft and all those little different types of cutters along with mini mandrels for polishing will be a good start for the basic type of porting. That right angle handpiece is very expensive and is used basically for doing the transfers. There are ways around that tool for doing work on the transfers but I am not the person to ask. Unless you plan on becoming a pro builder I would stick with the Dremel just to get a feel for basic porting . It is very easy to ruin a cylinder and a saw by getting carried away with grinding tools.

There is plenty of info here on the site and the internet but you really have to do some digging and reading.
Thanks for the info, will have a look through some old posts on here and hopefully be able to gain some knowledge. I'll probably be asking a loud more questions

Latest posts

Back