chainsaw prices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of curiosity I just checked. MS 880 with 21" is $60 higher dsrp at sloan's verses hilbert's! I should move to the Schrute beet farm to enjoy some of those cheep stihls! :D

I understand that Stihl is not a franchise, but you still are responsible to follow the guidelines as per Stihl's corporate policy in order to maintain your status as a dealer.

An example would be their policy of no internet sales. If you are caught they can revoke your dealership.

It's not a free for all once you become a dealer, and once you enter into a binding contract with someone regardless of state and federal law if you break the rules and guidelines of the contract it can be ended at any time. I'm sure Stihl has guidelines to follow as a dealer, franchise or not.

Again, I could be wrong here, but I would assume that as a dealer you would be responsible to meet Stihl's advertised pricing structure.

How much business do you think you would do if people look up prices and then come in and you charge them $100 over MSRP?

The contract doesn't stipulate pricing. Stihl distributors are wholesalers and dealers are the retailers. MSRP or DSRP is suggested pricing, but not mandatory because it is against the law to fix prices. Obviously Stihl would like for their dealers to maintain DSRP to maintain the profitability and image as a premium brand. Once you start discounting it left and right, it becomes a price war amongst dealers. In the end, the STIHL brand will suffer, and the dealers will suffer because nobody is making money. Then it becomes another commodity, ie Homelite.

It would be ridiculous for dealers to sell whole goods at above MSRP but some do and get away with it.

Most things here are damned expensive..minimum wage here (shop assistants/cleaners/rest home caregivers/factory workers etc) is $13.50 hr before tax I think. a lot of our workforce are on minimum wage, or $1 or so above
I, as a paramedic make double that, along with Police/Fire/Nurses etc, but pay 30% tax roughly
Average house price in our biggest city, Auckland is $475,000, making home ownership here very hard, if you move to small towns and travel a long way to work they are much cheaper..we pay $2200 a year to our council for water etc, roughly $1100 a year for house insurance
Gas is $2.10 litre
Milk $4 for 2 litres
Bread (decent stuff) $4 loaf
To own a car here is $280 per year registration plus $100 for safety checks (called Warrant of fitness) then you pay insurance, maintenance etc
4 litre pack of Valvoline engine oil $50
Stihl 2 stroke oil $22 per litre
Cord of pine firewood roughly $160
McDonalds smallest burger $2.50
Decent 25 inch bar and chain for chainsaw about $200 (what I paid for the MS440 chain and bar, GB bar) Stihl bar would be $200 by itself at a guess

New Zealand is a stunningly beautiful country, but run by absolute retards, the National Government, here you can sit on your fat arse and get weekly payment from the government to live on, and not really look for work, pop babies out and get the same, which works out to be more than minimum wage...so we have a huge population of non working bludgers sucking the country dry!

Cars are expensive, a new Chrysler 300 SRT-8 is $85,000
Toyota Corolla ( the most basic) $30,000

Husqvarna saws here

http://www.husqvarna.com/nz/products/professional-chainsaws/husqvarna-proffesional-chainsaws/

Just a small list...lol!!

WOW, that's just unbelievable.
Does anyone there ever retire?

They can sell for whatever price they want. Higher or lower. They can advertise list price or above but nothing below MAP pricing. Having a relationship with a dealer pays off. I paid list for my first Stihl and the last one I purchased was a 261CM...$525 out the door with all the ones in between being less than list to some degree or another.

The contract doesn't stipulate pricing. Stihl distributors are wholesalers and dealers are the retailers. MSRP or DSRP is suggested pricing, but not mandatory because it is against the law to fix prices. Obviously Stihl would like for their dealers to maintain DSRP to maintain the profitability and image as a premium brand. Once you start discounting it left and right, it becomes a price war amongst dealers. In the end, the STIHL brand will suffer, and the dealers will suffer because nobody is making money. Then it becomes another commodity, ie Homelite.

It would be ridiculous for dealers to sell whole goods at above MSRP but some do and get away with it.

I see, thanks for clarifying some of the finer points of the business for me!

I'm just a used parts guy, never got into the whole dealership thing yet.

I'm happy where I'm at!

Chris

Hell my dealer that I buy almost everything from told me this week he could sell me a new 660 cheaper then he could sell me the 460 that he still has on the shelf. Sucks because I'd really love to have that 460 damn it lol

the dealers here charge $950 for a 550xp. if that ain't rape i don't know what is. i know they charged $920 for a 346 when they were on the shelves. these prices are before taxes :eek: needless to say, i would forfeit my warranty on a new saw and buy one from the states. not sure why these pricks charge so much more. :givebeer:

Dealers are independent. Once they buy items, they can sell at whatever price they wish.
exactly

MS 201 €440 + tax 24% , dealer price. All those homeowner/pro models like ms 170 , 180 , 250, 241 , 260 , 261 , 362 sells very well.

I think I have the dealer with the best prices around. I drive about an hour to PA to see him and past about 3 dealers but it's worth it.
$550 201t
$900 ms660 r
$560 362

Those were my prices with bars out the door as my saws are for farm use only so no tax

I think I have the dealer with the best prices around. I drive about an hour to PA to see him and past about 3 dealers but it's worth it.
$550 201t
$900 ms660 r
$560 362

Those were my prices with bars out the door as my saws are for farm use only so no tax
Yea those are some good prices, a little lower then my local dealer

As many already know, I am a Stihl dealer.

I can sell for any price I want.

I can print price tags and modify the price using a program available on a Stihl website for dealers.

On the website where you can reserve a saw in my store it states in the small print that the price listed is MSRP and the price at the store may differ from MSRP.

I sell my saws at MSRP and I will special order any saw and have it within a week.

Sent from my iPhone on tapatalk

Prices in Japan are a lot higher as well, roughly double in the case of Husqvarnas. One of the reasons why there aren't any brand new saws in my shed.
Parallel imports (at approx. 60% of list price) are blooming but also risky as there is no warranty.

Stihl are comparatively cheap in the USA compared to most other countries, probably because it is a major market and there is plenty of competition. Prices are double or more in New Zealand, Australia, Norway etc.

In fact Woodf (#29 above) gives a European price - "MS 201 €440 + tax 24%" which is substantially more than I'd pay here in New Zealand.

However if that was a big problem Stihl wouldn't be in business. The fact is this company makes solid reliable chainsaws. I am impressed with their local dealers - all mom and pop shops (NZ is a small country) because every Stihl shop is so clean you could eat off the floor. Same goes for the workshop.

In fact Woodf (#29 above) gives a European price - "MS 201 €440 + tax 24%" which is substantially more than I'd pay here in New Zealand.

Finland price , forest country,and it is the normal price in my area. How much you pay in New Zealand ? . ( MS 200 was a lot cheaper when I bought it in 2010) Good price/quality and performance.
older model MS 260 was €399 with tax , special offer a month ago.

Prices are aligned along the average purchasing power (or willingness to purchase) of people in the respective market. The manufacturer can even allow or even encourage distribution and sales incurring losses in one market as long as there are other markets where he earns good profits. Huge markets also allow cheaper shipping and intermediate storage which alone, however, would not explain how Husqvarna parallel imports from the US cost less than half of what customers pay at dealers' outlets in Japan after being shipped twice. The US is presently the marketing battlefield for the few brands left, resulting in cutthroat pricing.

As many already know, I am a Stihl dealer.

I can sell for any price I want.

I can print price tags and modify the price using a program available on a Stihl website for dealers.

On the website where you can reserve a saw in my store it states in the small print that the price listed is MSRP and the price at the store may differ from MSRP.

I sell my saws at MSRP and I will special order any saw and have it within a week.
Thanks for answering some of the issues I brought up earlier, however,,,
I just started through the process of reserving a BT25 planting auger. How many steps do I have to go through before I see the fine print? They aren't going to get me to commit to buy without a firm price are they? Is it after they get my credit card information or before. It does show DSRP next to the price but one starts out with check price no fine print.

It would seem to me you would need more than just a program to make authentic looking custom price tags.

Over the years I have had little need for parts for chainsaws, brush cutters and the like the companies discussed on this forum deal in. However It is unsettling to know or at least infer that it is an anything goes on parts pricing as I have been there as I imagine others have on other mechanical items.

Back