Chainsaw protective pants

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm shopping for a pair of chainsaw protective pants. I've thought about the protective chaps, but I think I'll like the protective pants better. I have a Stihl and Husqvarna catalogue that show their protective pants, but I would like to know the prices. Anybody know the prices? I guess I could call a local dealer. I've also looked at the Sherrill and the Bailey's website. Just trying to see what's on the market.
Besides the difference in how the chaps and pants are worn, is there any advantages/disadvantages in the protection?

i got a pair of husqvarna light really like them, you can get that model extended if your tall and they dont cost any more !

I posted the following on 12-24-2005, 05:20 PM, Under Title: Chaps, Which ones are favorites?

Copy of Post;

I have been researching for a pair of protective pants or bibs for myself.

I feel the one's made in Europe to meet European Standers provide more protection.

I say this as, Class C protective pants or bibs have 9 layers of material as compared to 4 or 7 in the US Standard.

The Brand I have been looking at is SIP Protection. manufactures in Belgium by Sioen Industries. There Total Protection Styles.

1SR6.jpg

TALL FIT TROUSERS TOTAL PROTECTION
Model / Style 1SR6.

1SG6.jpg

TOTAL PROTECTION BIB & BRACE TROUSERS
Model / Style 1SG6

There English Web sit Catalog is at URL:

http://www.sioen.be/itemtemplates/deelsites/content_garment.asp?pTaal=ENG&pSite=sip

Also the clothing look stylish.

Just have to purchase the items from Europe.

Just My Opinion.....For What it is Worth.

Regards

Joseph

End of Copy .....

Also I posted 12-26-2005, 01:19 PM Under Tilte:Another Manufacturer of Protective Clothing

Copy of Post:

In my research I located another Manufacturer of Protective Clothing.

Gränsfors Bruks, Inc. is located in Summerville, South Carolina.

There trade name is SwedePro™

Copy of there Catalog is at URL; http://www.gransfors.us/SwedePro.pdf

The SIP Clothing still look like the best.

Regards

Joseph

Joseph, thanks for the info and links. I think I'll go with the SwedePro pants. I'm usually careful by nature and I try to be extra careful when using my saw, but from what I've read, PPE is well worth the money.

I also have the Husky pants and like them a lot. Very comfortable and they have full calf protection. My only complaint is how hot they are in the summer. I have the lighter "summer" version and I still sweat like a dog in them. In the fall and winter they are great. I am thinking a pair of chaps for the summer might be a little cooler to wear.

I have the husky pants too. just fluff stuffed into the pants to jam your chain, at least on the type I have. I think they were under a hundred bucks. like wearing snow pants tho, as previously mentioned. I would probably go chaps in Summer so you can at least take them off ona break from sawing.

My $0.02 worth

I have a pair (Baileys?). They are pretty neet. However,
In the summer you will roast. When it isn't too hot out, then they are ok.
Don't know what the fiber is, but it is designed to jam the chain.
Won't stop a electric saw (not an issue).
chaps would be cooler.

There is no substitute for being careful. Sometimes I don't wear them as it is too warm. If I am looking at a somewhat risky situation (hillside, lots of branches, rocks, whatever) then I put them on.

-Pat

jimmyq said:
I have the husky pants too. just fluff stuffed into the pants to jam your chain, at least on the type I have. I think they were under a hundred bucks. like wearing snow pants tho, as previously mentioned. I would probably go chaps in Summer so you can at least take them off ona break from sawing.
I have also been using traditional Husky pants, but I don't use them when a lot of movement is involved any longer, as they are simply uncomfortably warm in anything above freezing temperature. The wide and heavy legs also snags easily on dry underbruch und such......
Stihls relatively new Forestwear Comfort is much more comfortable, and is said to provide the same protection at just 50% more weight than a pair of jeans.
The question is if they are available in the US, as I can not find them on the US website.

STIHL HiFlex there great. Use 6 layers rather than 9 but its a new material so it can give you the same layer of protection with less weight. This makes them lighter and more comfortable. There really good for climbing too since they strech a lot meaning them don't rip at the crotch like most chainsaw trousers.

There type C class 1 (20ms-1) got lots of pockets too 1 back 2 front a cargo pocket on the left leg and a mobile pocket on the right. There quite cool to wear in the summer no way as bad as regular SITHL trousers. They have some kind of hi tech breathing thing going on. There quite waterproof too and the material is rip stop,so when you snag it first it strches and if it does tare it doesn't spread.

here in sweden Husky just realesed a new pair of pants Pro Tech, 6 layer 4 way ripstop pants but they are quite costly though ,,,

Mr_Brushcutter said:
STIHL HiFlex there great. Use 6 layers rather than 9 but its a new material so it can give you the same layer of protection with less weight. This makes them lighter and more comfortable. There really good for climbing too since they strech a lot meaning them don't rip at the crotch like most chainsaw trousers.

There type C class 1 (20ms-1) got lots of pockets too 1 back 2 front a cargo pocket on the left leg and a mobile pocket on the right. There quite cool to wear in the summer no way as bad as regular SITHL trousers. They have some kind of hi tech breathing thing going on. There quite waterproof too and the material is rip stop,so when you snag it first it strches and if it does tare it doesn't spread.
Your description fit the Forestwear Comfort that I use pretty close.

I'm glad I'm hearing about how hot the pants can get during the summer. The summers here in south 'Ar-kansas' are terrible on me (being about 2000 miles away from where I used to live in good ole Canada) and I sweat ALOT. So, chaps might be better for me while I'm here down south. If/when I move back across the line up north, I would think about getting the pants...but maybe not, cause I could layer up with warm clothes and put the chaps over them in the winter. Once again folks, thanks for the info.

What would you be using your chainsaw for?
Cutting up logs and general chainsaw carpentry chaps would be fine. If its serious logging felling or tree work i'd get the trousers.

I know it doesn't get as hot here as it does over there but what i've taken to doing is wearing shorts under the trousers so you can take them off at breaks for a bit.

Mr_Brushcutter said:
What would you be using your chainsaw for?
Cutting up logs and general chainsaw carpentry chaps would be fine. If its serious logging felling or tree work i'd get the trousers.

I know it doesn't get as hot here as it does over there but what i've taken to doing is wearing shorts under the trousers so you can take them off at breaks for a bit.

I use my saw mainly for firewood cutting - downed trees and tops leftover from logging.

I just sold a new pair of Husky pants for $35. They cost me a he'' of a lot more.

Bill

I said I wouldn't do it but I can't stop myself...

Just pick up a pair of craftsman chaps. I've picked up a pair for under $30.00 and they work fine.

Latest posts

Back