Chainsaw Purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guitmanjo

Reaction score
I will be buying a chainsaw in the very near future. It’s been 30 years since I cut much wood. In those days I used one of my Dad’s Homelites. But Dad spent hours working on his saws just to keep them running, and they weren’t very reliable. I now have a small cabin I’ll be heating with wood, and expect to cut probably only 1 to 2 cords of firewood annually, but I want a reliable, easy to use saw I don’t have to work on constantly. I’d expect I’ll mostly be cutting standing dead wood up to about 10-12”, but much of that will be Hedge and oak.

Last weekend I had a couple buddies out to show me their saws. One has an older used Husqvarna Pro 18” bar saw (don’t know the model), and the other has a new Husqvarna T435 12” bar saw (both are Husqvarna fans and have biases against Stihl, mostly bang for buck – both heat with wood and know more than I do so I’m leaning Husq). Though the older Pro saw was far more powerful, the weight and chain speed advantage to the T435 was quite notable and the owner of the older saw recommended I choose a smaller, lighter, faster saw like the T435. Research tells me that it’s probably too small and certainly the more dangerous choice, as I found myself one-handing it a lot on smaller stuff due to its balance and ease of use. I do know it’s designed for professionals who need one-handed operation, and that one-handed operation is simply dumb for the kind of work I’ll be doing. I’m passing on the T435 idea, but the experience tells me I would appreciate lighter weight and a fast chain.

I’d like to stay in the $300-ish price range so I know I’ll have to compromise, but I want a saw that will last me years with the least amount of trouble, so I could spend a bit more if that limits the choice too much.

I’m just looking for feedback and suggestions from experienced people based on my intended use. Thanks in advance.

Dads 455 hasn't skipped a beat in six years now short of normal maintenance and very little of that.

Look into the Tanaka 3351 at baileys.was $150 shipped.be good for smaller stuff.for bigger stuff check out the redmax gz4000 or gz4500.redmax is now owned by husky.some redmax saws are huskys in disguise.the gz's are 40 and 45cc and range from $300-$350 new on ebay. For even bigger stuff the best bang for the buck is the 59.8cc echo cs590.a little heavy but far better than the husky 455 and stihl ms290/291/310/311/291 etc.etc.etc. the 590 new is around $400+ brand new.

Don't forget jred saws as they are basically the same and the local jred dealer may be a better guy to deal with. 455=2255. $300 range I say give the Dolmar 421 a serious look. At that price not much else will compare to it for quality. Closer to $400 as jughead mentioned. Echo 590 is the best bang for your buck

Thanks for the suggestions. I need to get out and see what is available locally before I buy online ... kinda think I'll steer away from ebay on this purchase. I know I need to find a shop to work on it and chat there too and they may be my best place to buy, but Bailey's has good prices.

I have looked at the rear handle 435, but was concerned it's 'home owner' class would mean less reliable ... I do like the price. I'm assuming the step up to farm & ranch models is worth doing if I can't afford pro?

Several mentioned bumping up to a $400-ish budget ... I can probably do that. But am I really getting $100 more saw w/ the 545 over the 445 for instance? They are both 11 lb saws, with a 4 foot/sec difference in chain speed ... no idea if that would be noticeable or not. What else am I getting for $100 that makes it worth spending the extra cash?

I may be wrong, but the 455 / 460 seem a bit closer to $500 than $400 .... I knew I wasn't getting by with $300 too easily. They are heavier than the 545 too, but only by a couple pounds. Don't know how much that matters in a day of cutting, I just know my prime physical condition is a few decades behind me and it ain't getting better, so light is attractive.

I will look into the Redmax, Dolmar, Echo and others ... but I'm pretty ignorant and haven't heard of any of these brands except what I've read on these forums ... actually, I did see an Echo once I guess, but it was probably a low end big box offering.
--

Not to muddy the waters or stop suggestions, but I have a couple of other questions:

- Bar length ... I'd assume you want the shortest bar that does the job, i.e. less bar = less resistance = better performance and less wear. Is this a fair assumption? Can I get by with a 16" bar for 10" - 12" max cuts, or is 18" advisable?

- Chain Speed ... The T435 is listed at 62.66 fts, and seemed very fast compared to the more powerful older Husky I tried. What range should I be looking at chain speed wise? Is the difference between 56.x fts and 60.x fts a noticable difference?

Based on what you've stated your needs are I'd go with the 445 and not give it a second thought. You are only cutting 1-2 cords a year. I have a friend who recently picked up a 445 and he is very pleased.

I'd go a 14" bar if its an option where you are buying, but I don't mind cutting from both sides if required.

Good luck in your decision.

Thanks for the suggestions. I need to get out and see what is available locally before I buy online ... kinda think I'll steer away from ebay on this purchase. I know I need to find a shop to work on it and chat there too and they may be my best place to buy, but Bailey's has good prices.

I have looked at the rear handle 435, but was concerned it's 'home owner' class would mean less reliable ... I do like the price. I'm assuming the step up to farm & ranch models is worth doing if I can't afford pro?

Several mentioned bumping up to a $400-ish budget ... I can probably do that. But am I really getting $100 more saw w/ the 545 over the 445 for instance? They are both 11 lb saws, with a 4 foot/sec difference in chain speed ... no idea if that would be noticeable or not. What else am I getting for $100 that makes it worth spending the extra cash?

I may be wrong, but the 455 / 460 seem a bit closer to $500 than $400 .... I knew I wasn't getting by with $300 too easily. They are heavier than the 545 too, but only by a couple pounds. Don't know how much that matters in a day of cutting, I just know my prime physical condition is a few decades behind me and it ain't getting better, so light is attractive.

I will look into the Redmax, Dolmar, Echo and others ... but I'm pretty ignorant and haven't heard of any of these brands except what I've read on these forums ... actually, I did see an Echo once I guess, but it was probably a low end big box offering.
--

Not to muddy the waters or stop suggestions, but I have a couple of other questions:

- Bar length ... I'd assume you want the shortest bar that does the job, i.e. less bar = less resistance = better performance and less wear. Is this a fair assumption? Can I get by with a 16" bar for 10" - 12" max cuts, or is 18" advisable?

- Chain Speed ... The T435 is listed at 62.66 fts, and seemed very fast compared to the more powerful older Husky I tried. What range should I be looking at chain speed wise? Is the difference between 56.x fts and 60.x fts a noticable difference?

Those chains speed specs are a gimic at best, your going to struggle to get a better saw for the amount of wood you want to cut than the dolmar 421.

The 445 will handle 1-2 cords/year just fine. A 16" bar works fine on them. The 545 is built better and will have more power and not weigh much more. There are a couple of others sponsors on here that can match or beat Bailey's prices.

Get a Dolmar 421! The only saw you will ever need for your intended purpose. Build quality is way supperior to any of the 435, 445, etc. mentioned. There was a shootout a while back of the predeccesor model (2.7 hp compared to the new improved model with 3hp) where in unmodified version it was more liked than the Stihl 241 by one of the major modders here on this site!

Put short:

a pro built saw, only 42cc/3hp BUT behaves like one size up!

Pricewise defintely in your budget! That is the only saw I would be willing to spend my money on.

So yes it is Dolmars counterpart to the Stihl 241 & Husqvarna 543xp! Is it as light or as refined as the former two? Of course not! But it sure is nipping at their tails!

Further if you are worried about "newest" technology = strato charged and it's "potential" fuel savings, a german test magazine showed that the "classic" engine (=Dolmar) needed less fuel in their testing than a Husqvarna 445. So "new" technology doesn't always mean "better".

Other options would be the Poulan 5020. Excelent reviews here from very knowledgable people. Even less than your prognosed budget.

Would I consider the 435/445? Not once with above two options!

here is my 2 cents on the bar size debate for you. if you can make due with a 16" bar over an 18" do it.

multiple reasons for this.
shorter bar and chain are cheaper to buy initially
shorter bar is cheaper to replace
shorter chains are cheaper to replace
shorter bar and chain is lighter
shorter bar and chain handles better
shorter bar is generally safer to use

shop around and visit all your local dealers to see what they have and how the saws feel. also to see how the dealer operates and how knowledgeable they are. If they don't satisfy you with their customer service or knowledge contact a site sponsor on here before buying online. (possibly a better deal than online and definitely better service and more knowledgeable)
455/2255 should be under $400
421 $340 or less===this would be my pick based on what you have mentioned. Its fairly light, compact, and has plenty of power for a 16" bar. pro build quality
590 under $400===this would be my second choice if you want something bigger. pro build quality with a reasonable price for 60cc saw. seems a bit heavy and not silky smooth but a great value

Dealer support is something to take into consideration IMO I have several friends that treat me as the red headed step child at times when I am using my Stihl saws. But in the end we all get the wood cut, be it I am always fixing theirs.. :eek::D

Echo can't be beat for price and reliability in the 40-60cc class you will need. Almost forgot to mention, 5 YEAR WARRANTY!!!!!!!!

The only thing I agree with is the price point for select models. The warranty is a joke and there stuff is hit and miss

Latest posts

Back