Chainsaw Purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're on the right track when you say you're going to check out other saws before buying anything. The more you look/read/ask the more you'll learn in a hurry. For your uses the Dolmar 421 would suit you very well (my next saw, about $325),...then again so would the Echo cs 590 ($400?)...then again so would the Husky 545 ($$?)...All good saws and each would last a long time. But you have a leaning curve to deal with, i.e., maintenance, minor repair, sharpening...Find a dealer and see what they recommend...w/a skeptical eye...but if the guys you cut with and trust use Husky's then you'll probably end up w/a Husky...that's just the way it goes. All good saws.

You're on the right track when you say you're going to check out other saws before buying anything ... but if the guys you cut with and trust use Husky's then you'll probably end up w/a Husky...that's just the way it goes. All good saws.
This brought a smile. I am trying to be open minded, but this has a ring of truth to it. I'll get out this week and weekend and visit all the dealers I can, get my hands on a few saws and get a better idea of what I want.

Thanks to you all for the help, it's been very informative.

Echo can't be beat for price and reliability in the 40-60cc class you will need. Almost forgot to mention, 5 YEAR WARRANTY!!!!!!!!

Echo is easily beat depending on which features and saws you are comparing. They are a quality saw that will last if treated properly. Show me someone that gets a warranty claim approved in year 2 and then you can brag about that 5 YEAR WARRANTY!!!!!!!! I am a Echo dealer and cant think of a situation where a warranty could be filed at that age where it would be approved unless it was just some freak thing. Weird things do happen so i wont say it will never happen. Here is a fact for you though. I have been selling Echo for almost 3 yrs now and have yet to file a single warranty claim.

The only thing I agree with is the price point for select models. The warranty is a joke and there stuff is hit and miss
I wont go that far on the warranty but it is used as a sales pitch when the reality is most repairs needed after about the 3 months are not going to fall in the warranty category.

i would stay away from a top handle if using i for firewood. they have they're place and firewood ain't it. 455/460 would do ya right if going with husky but i'd save a few more penny's and get a 545 husky.
I used a Dolmar top handle to cut up some firewood on the ground, nice fast cutting saw when I could keep it running...

For your situation I would go used and keep some of your money for other things....

I'm not a Husky guy, so I will not comment on their models as I know little about them.

I'd pick a good dealer and go from there with whatever line they sell. It's worth a lot to know you're dealing with someone who knows the equipment and gives great service.

It sounds like a 16" bar is all you will need, so a 45-50 cc saw should be fine; the guys who have recommended them are probably right.

Don't overlook Dolmar/Makita as a used saw from Home Depot if you have one handy and can afford to watch for one to come up on sale. I bought one for a friend and he loves it. Don't recall the model number (maybe 6421?) but it was a 60 cc class saw for $300 plus tax with two new chains. It was pretty light and since they come with chisel chains, which HD will not rent them with, they threw in a couple of new chisel chains with the saw. I was impressed with how light it was, and it had 190 lbs compression (I ain't kidding). That saw cuts like a demon but it could be more saw and a bit more weight than you need.

Good luck choosing!

Eventually after you shop around for a new saw and find out what you have to spend to get the quality that you want, you end up buying a Stihl. After you do, you then find out that you could have bought a used Stihl in good condition for half the cost of a new one. Thus you could have owned two Stihls that will last another ten to twenty years for the price of a new one. BTDT.

Back