Chainsaw question (bar length)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rick_reno

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting another chain saw. I have a Stihl 056 (32 inch bar) and a Stihl 018 (12 inch bar) and I need something in between. I've had very good luck with Stihl equipment and have been looking at a Stihl MS290 (farmboss). The Stihl catalog says the recommended bar length for this saw is 16 inches; my dealer has them with 20 inch bars and has said the saw is balanced for a 20 inch bar. He'll knock $10 off for the 16 inch bar. I live in timber country (Idaho panhandle) so I assume the dealer knows what he is talking about. I prefer a shorter bar for various reasons (lighter and less bar to keep track of). Is the catalog right? or is the dealer just trying to sell longer bars (I can't understand why he'd do that)? Anyone using one of these saws? what length bar?

Are the 290's a reliable saw? I haven't found anything that suggests they aren't.

Thanks for your help...

I should probably let the more experienced guys answer, but I won’t.
Two things come to mind.
Why are you looking at adding a non-pro saw to you line up?
Bar length depends what you are doing with your saw. If you are going to be bucking small logs that are in an easy to get to position or don’t mind spending all of your time bent over, then go short. If you want more reach, go a little longer. I noticed the brochures are always specifying bars that I think are too short. I really like the 24” on my 372 for general wood cutting and milling.
If I am cutting brush, vine maple… I will sometimes put the 32” on so I have a better reach.

029 ,not good

If I were you I would not get the 029.... Look into the 036's maybe ..... or for the light weight a 026 either one will do the job well :)

chainsaw question

Oregon_rob,

The reason for adding this saw is stictly cost. It's about $100 less than the saw I really want and am should buy - the 260 Pro. $100 is...well you know...$100 and this time of year up here it matters. The 260 Pro has 1/4 less HP, 2.6 less lbs and even that decompression gizmo that sure sounds nice.

I read a couple of posts in here that suggested the 290 was a piece of junk. I've been using Stihl saws for 30 years and they've always served me well - I sure hope they're not making junk these days.

Well, I don’t think they are making junk, but they are making some of the saws more of the home owner types than the serious user. I was in your place at the beginning of summer, didn’t have much money to spend, looked at the 290, 310, 260 and ended up going with a used 372XP for $250 and am very happy I did. I am OK with used stuff, some people aren’t. I know it won’t last forever, but neither will I.

026 pro

the 026 pro has the decomp gismo on it .... I don't think that it is nessesary at all.... look at the standard 026 it should be cheaper and all you need and will pull either 16'' or 18'' chain very well ... I have the standard 026 and have owned it for 11 years and am very pleased with it ..... just stay off of the 029's please..... you might find a 026 on the site ,used and in good shape or on ebay sometimes for 200.00 and up

I you are bent on a Stihl, forget the 290 and go for either the 360(036), or the 260(026).

I'll second (third? fourth?) the recommendation for the 026. I have the 026Pro and the only difference is the decomp, the new style carb and an adjustable oiler. The decomp isn't necessary, the new style carb is testy for me, and the adjustable oiler works when it wants to.
I got mine second hand with less than 5 tanks of fuel through it. If I had bought new, I would have gotten the regular 026 for $40 less than the Pro.

Stay away from the 029! I've had to use a couple and hated them. When running the tree crew for a large landscape contractor he had just bought a new 029 to replace an old 026. I fixed the old 026 and gave the 029 to the landscape crew for cutting hedges and roots.

Oh, your original question- 18" bar on the 026, .325 pitch. Doesn't matter what size you put on the 029, it will still cut like crap.

Last edited:
Chainsaw question

You guys got me thinking again - I need to stop doing this, it's driving me crazy.
I went back to $'s - and I can get the Husky 346xp for about $100 less than the 260Pro, $60 less than 260. How do they compare? 30 years of owning Stihl saws - I've had some problems with a few of them - makes it hard to switch brands, but money is tight...and every buck I can save buying a saw is a burger in my belly.
I posted a note about this after I looked in the archives and didn't see any direct real use comparisons. I'm most interested in Husky durabilty (those XP's run fast, I wonder how they hold up?) and cutting speed. Does the speed on the Husky require a super sharp chain to work efficiently? I like cutting more than sharpening chains, which I usually do in the evening at home.

i would have to agree with brian, go with the 026, not the pro model you don't need the decompresion valve. i just fixed an 029 for a friend of mine decient saw but you couldn't give me one. great saw for the weekend warior though:D the 026 with a 18" bar and .325 pitch cuts like a bat outa h&ll!!! great saw, execlent power to weight ratio, out cuts the 029!!!

just my two cents worth:angel:

Rick,

Not to muddy the waters but have you looked at Echo-5000.
Its not an o26 by any means, but ask anyone they will tell you that echo saws are extremely durable, a little slower than stihl or husky, and are priced competitively. Ebay has new and used ones and the prices are right. I run mine with an 18 bar .325
narrow kerf chain, it gets the job done every day.

Corey

Rick, Now that you mentioned husky, you must be considering them, you hit the nail right on the head with the 346XP. Buy one and don't look back- you won't be sorry and I'm sure many here will agree.

Go with the 026-my favourite. 036s are OK but if you are working on medium duty jobs all day, the lighter weight of the smaller saw is appreciated. Seemed to have all the power I ever needed and then some.

Re: 346

Originally posted by daveb
Rick, Now that you mentioned husky, you must be considering them, you hit the nail right on the head with the 346XP. Buy one and don't look back- you won't be sorry and I'm sure many here will agree.

Agree 100% - the only thing you'll be looking back at will be anyone out there cutting with a 026. Spend the money on hopping it up by walkers etc. - you'll be even further ahead.

however, you posted that you werent really interested in sharpening chain - thats not good value for money. Put it to you this way: a 346xp will smoke a 026 anyday of the week with the same chain, but my 136 husky with a sharp chain will smoke both if they have a rocked out, blunt chain. Chain is the most important part of the saw (kind of like the Michelin ads - "The chain is the only part of the saw that actually touches the wood..").

Do a search under 346xp and find some cutting results and you'll see what I mean. Its a mean little S.O.B:blob2:

Of course you can always get the stihl and feel comfortable with yourself - except for the fact that the 346xp is the better saw when cutting - whether it fits you better you'll have to find out.

well Dennis - if a poor soul decides to buy a new stihl instead of a new husky...well, they will have to live with the mistake, so i figure I'd try to make them feel a little better about themselves, :D no sense in rubbing the nose in the dirt after the mistake has already been made.

PS. is that any better?:angel:

Originally posted by Dennis
Otto..I have been noticing a trend in your posts as of late....you are actually not slamming other saw makes, but almost recommending them....I am worried about you my friend:D

Is it so? I might have to take Ottolux off of ignore if he keeps this up. I just never saw a reason to bash Husky even if I prefer Stihl. I just got tired of all the Stihl bashing with no credible advice. Glad to hear you are mellowing, Otto.

Dennis, check your messages. :cool:

Originally posted by treeclimber165
I just never saw a reason to bash Husky even if I prefer Stihl. I just got tired of all the Stihl bashing with no credible advice.

Oh come on now - give me a break!:p

Latest posts

Back