Chainsaw question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadianhere

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi I am new to chainsaws, so I don't know much about this stuff. I was looking for a chainsaw for heating my house and seen that a lot of you were saying the ms362 was a good choice. So I bought the ms362cm with a 24in bar today for 850$ after taxes. My question is, should I go back and trade the 24in in for a 20in bar? I am 6 foot 2 inch tall so that is why I got the 24, figured it might save my back from bending. I will mostly be cutting from wood from the loggers burn piles, which probably won't be any wood wider than about 16 inches. People say it runs better with a 20, I just don't know if it's worth compromising how it cuts with a 20 inch bar for the extra 4 inches. I will be using the saw mainly for heating my house with 4 or 5 cords a year, and maybe sell some cords in the future as a part time business. Thank you for helping

Get both. Good idea when you go out to have at least two saws, or at least two bars. You can take the powerhead off and switch to another bar if you get pinched bad. Plus, use the shorter for limbing, the longer for felling and bucking the trunk, etc.

Don't forget the safety gear!

And around here, the rule is, pics or it didn't happen, lets see the new saw! Enjoy the cleanliness and shinyness while it lasts! hahaha!

Or even an 18" if you're not cutting anything bigger than 16", I use mostly 16" and 18" and most of my wood is in the 20" range. Or like someone else posted you can go with 2 bars.

A 16" and 20" both work well with 362cm. The 24" will be good for break in if you have some nice wood to cut. Don't discount the idea of a less expensive smaller laminated stihl 'E' bar. They are smaller and lighter than their ES brothers but will keep things well balanced for your back. They are fairly sturdy too.

I agree with gettin' the second bar rather than trade it (I'd likely go 18 inch... but whatever).
Yeah, that means keepin' two different size chain loops... but it won't be long and you'll figure out ya' need a few extras anyway.
A second bar and chain is just as good as a second saw if ya' pinch one tight... pop the power head off, mount the other bar/chain, and back in business‼

And yeah... pics or it ain't real :D

+1 for the 20 inch bar. The 18 would be ok 99.9 % of the time but you are tall and the 20 inch really helps the back and it has a better ballance... I have the 18 inch and just got the 20 for the sme reason. Still nice to have the 2 bars incase one gets pinched but I'm guessing you might never use the 24...

Save the 25" for really big logs and use it occasionally. Get the 20" bar and chain and use that combination for most of your cutting.

With the title of this sub forum here in the tradin post, I think we might be seeing more questions like this one here...

+1 on getting a second bar. 18" or 20", your choice. I run 20" and 25" on my 362s. The 25" has it place in my style cutting; much easier on my back cutting the little stuff at your feet with the back bar of a 25" than to bend over further with a 20". I am around 6' with arms on the longer side. 28" is even better for that task but I doubt I would have any other use for it - a buried 25" is enough of a workout for a 362 IMO.Ron

We have 3 362s and run 24" bars on them.

I used to run short bars, but got a used saw with a 24" and really liked not bending as much.

Really just personal preference. Around here most saws that come in for work have a 16" or 20" bar.

We have 3 362s and run 24" bars on them.

I used to run short bars, but got a used saw with a 24" and really liked not bending as much.

Really just personal preference. Around here most saws that come in for work have a 16" or 20" bar.

Choppy this thread is from 2015

Back