Chainsaw Recomendations for a Novice (noob)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The guys is the repair guy, The 310 was from his buddies shop that was unclaimed after service.

The 29 super he implied he fixed. "sometimes people return saws that had only gas run though it and the piston melts" he says.

I take you're word on it that it has been abused. I was allready to got with small tools and my compression guage to check it out. Was guna offer hime 125 on the 29 super.

I guess i'll pass.

So just came back from the swap meet and Saw a guy with 2 saws

Stihl 29 super 175$
stihl 310 225$ ( unclaimed service repair)

I should have taken pictures but the 310 had the flippy caps and looked clean

the 29 had the typical chared stuff from the exhaust hitting the body of the saw.

Is this a good find or not?
you have a great saw fore the work youre doing why get a different saw

The guys is the repair guy, The 310 was from his buddies shop that was unclaimed after service.

The 29 super he implied he fixed. "sometimes people return saws that had only gas run though it and the piston melts" he says.

I take you're word on it that it has been abused. I was allready to got with small tools and my compression guage to check it out. Was guna offer hime 125 on the 29 super.

I guess i'll pass.
strait gas will burn the piston rings and cylinder very fast and destroy the saw---to much oil will make the saw run hard braking it down and hurting the bearings---bad carb adjustment could cause any of it leaving the heavy black crud from the exhaust and it all equals to abuse or neglect ---glad youre not getting it

I honestly think that sometimes to much importance is placed on the dealer. You just purchased an excellent saw that, more than likely, won't need to go back to the dealer unless you make a mistake and break it. If you don't know how to sharpen your new toy a dealer would be nice, however any dealer anywhere will sharpen your saw and sell chains to fit your saw. If you need any advise on the saw then you already know a good place to find it. Just mix the gas correctly, keep the chain out of the dirt, and try not to drop it and you and your new saw will be together for a long time. I have bought chainsaws, weedeaters, leaf blowers, lawn mowers, and all sorts of other power equipment from several different dealers and I can't remember having to bring one of them back for some sort of repair. If you do have to drive that twenty or so miles to the dealer, then I doubt it will ever be often enough to where you start complaining about gas mileage. Afterall, if you started carrying a saw up there too often with questions or complaints, any dealer I know is just going to get ticked off and give you the run around.

Thank's makes me feel like I made the right purchase. And was thinking the same thing myself. Only thing i have ever purchased at the dealer was a filter for my echo trimmer. only b/c HD was selling an entire kit.

finally a thread where someone didnt get talked into an 800+$ 70+cc saw , there is hope for this place

Yeah, way beyond my budget and i'm gald the tread didn't go that way anyways. But a saw that size would haven just been one of those " look what i got " things as that thing would have never met my needs unless i was cutting giant sequoias lol

that or a stihl or husky battle and shoved totally down throat

Glad the thread is going the way it is. I already read plenty of husky vs stilh threads. this was more like an application thread with a touch of Value vs power

you have a great saw fore the work youre doing why get a different saw

Yeah, after the last few comments of you guys i'm really feeling good about my purcahse. I may get the 440e ( dont like the no tool tensioner) if it goes on sale of if i can get the stihl ms 250 for under less thant 309/350 $ the local dealer wants.

I got a good deal with mine i paid 330$, 340$

Husky 435 240$
Grease gun
1 gallon of husky chain/bar oil
6.4 oz of husky oil mixture
Husky chaps 50$
ear plugs with cord ( over ear make me over heat)

Glad i had a 10% coupon

Bought some 91 Octane gass and i'm going to mix it up right now and fire her up. After i read the manual real quick again

YEah baby!

regards
J

Thank's makes me feel like I made the right purchase. And was thinking the same thing myself. Only thing i have ever purchased at the dealer was a filter for my echo trimmer. only b/c HD was selling an entire kit.

Yeah, way beyond my budget and i'm gald the tread didn't go that way anyways. But a saw that size would haven just been one of those " look what i got " things as that thing would have never met my needs unless i was cutting giant sequoias lol

Glad the thread is going the way it is. I already read plenty of husky vs stilh threads. this was more like an application thread with a touch of Value vs power

Yeah, after the last few comments of you guys i'm really feeling good about my purcahse. I may get the 440e ( dont like the no tool tensioner) if it goes on sale of if i can get the stihl ms 250 for under less thant 309/350 $ the local dealer wants.

I got a good deal with mine i paid 330$, 340$

Husky 435 240$
Grease gun
1 gallon of husky chain/bar oil
6.4 oz of husky oil mixture
Husky chaps 50$
ear plugs with cord ( over ear make me over heat)

Glad i had a 10% coupon

Bought some 91 Octane gass and i'm going to mix it up right now and fire her up. After i read the manual real quick again

YEah baby!

regards
J

keep it clean sharp and mixed correctly be safe and have fun

Do i need to richen this husky before i start it ( got side tracked) or are the echo's the only ones that run lean?

If so how much and wich needle?

Do i need to richen this husky before i start it ( got side tracked) or are the echo's the only ones that run lean?

If so how much and wich needle?
that's a ruff one cause knot all saws are the same not even new ones are exactly the same adjusting a saw isn't fore a no-ob --- if possible take it to a person that has experience with that saw type or to a tree service that fixes their one saws they should be able to help better than anyone on hear cause we cant hear or feel the saw and how it is running---also with experience youre cutting style and needs will change not everyone cuts or uses a saw the same way so fore know till you get to no the saw keep it the way it is

Last edited:

On another topic. Can you use Stihl chain on a husky/hucky bar?

Yes, as long as the gauge, pitch and number of drivers fit.

It may not be easy to find loops where all those parameters are right, unless you have a dealer that spins his own loops - and there generally is little point in doing it......

Yes, as long as the gauge, pitch and number of drivers fit.

It may not be easy to find loops where all those parameters are right, unless you have a dealer that spins his own loops - and there generally is little point in doing it......

Thanks, I've read a few posts here about Good chain's and still comes up the most ofter.

Anyone got a tittle of a thread they know of that i can read about different chains. Back in the thread i wa recomended a non-saftey or something to improve cutting. The Choosing a chain guide at lowes relly does not help me know what the pitch or whatever is going to do for me

Oh and " I LOVE MY SAW!" turned it on yesterday 3-6 pulls let it idle to get warm and reved it up... and reved it up again and it reved up even higher. Nice and throaty sound... Love it.. but sadly had to put it away to work on my car :(

Thanks, I've read a few posts here about Good chain's and still comes up the most ofter.

Anyone got a tittle of a thread they know of that i can read about different chains. Back in the thread i wa recomended a non-saftey or something to improve cutting. The Choosing a chain guide at lowes relly does not help me know what the pitch or whatever is going to do for me

Oh and " I LOVE MY SAW!" turned it on yesterday 3-6 pulls let it idle to get warm and reved it up... and reved it up again and it reved up even higher. Nice and throaty sound... Love it.. but sadly had to put it away to work on my car :(

"Lowes" hardly is the right place to look for good chain, and it is a pity if you bought the saw there.....

You need to find a proper saw dealer for service and good chain - just forget "Lowes".

The saw probably came with a H30/95VPX chain, and I believe that is a pretty good chain on that saw.

Just an update. Found a local Dolmar dealer. are we talking big $$ here?

Had an Oiler issue on my husky 435. but looks like it was my fault as i forgot to clean it after my last use and i hit the dirt with the chain 2 times so saw dust wasent helping there..

If you're going to only be limbing branches baseball to softball size you really don't need anything bigger than 40cc... The Echo should be fine, how often are you going to use this saw? Daily, weekends, two months out of the year? I would get the lightest saw that doesn't break the bank from any of the major brands...

I just want to add, I own a Husqvarna 440e. It has the tool less chain tensioner but it seems to be of high quality and I like it was better than the two bolts. The thing is under 10 lbs, can't be had for a pretty cheap price, and it has plenty of power for what you need it to do. Oh, the powerhead is also very narrow, easy to maneuver, and the antivibe on it is great. It's classified as a homeowner saw.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back