Chainsaw selection help, best saw for "me"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have the funds... And I know you currently own 1 saw, we are talking you into 2...... But, if you have the funds, I truthfully believe you should go 3 saw plan.

Here's why:
I was pushing the 362 pretty hard simply because I stated buying a larger saw later, and a 362 will be leaps and bounds better, overall much better saw than the 290 you have. Plus, I'm sure you have plenty of wood to take care of your needs until you have the funds for a larger saw...

But, that being said, if you start off with 441-70cc ///461-76cc ///661-91cc... I still recommend selling the 290, for reasons stated previously (price will tank once more 291's on used market, reliability is proven to homeowner types, due to weight, "newness" factor of new model, etc).... Than you will 100% want a smaller saw.

Say you end up with 441 because of the deal you can get on it, than you want a 661... So you'll have an amazing 1-2 punch with 70/90 cc saws. But what about those 16-24" trees. Obviously those 2 saws will make light work of it, but dry PHO weight of those 2 is 14lbs and 16.5lbs... They'll get heavy after awhile.

I'd then say you might be better off going with another brand with a small saw. 201c great saw, but that price will kick your butt. Especially if it is your least used saw. I'd say check out the echo 361p $400 (new 35cc pro saw just released within the last year), or husqvarna 550xp $600 I believe, which is also a pro saw, 50cc... Depends how small you want to go. But those 2 are very lightweight for their cc class. I believe echo around 8lbs and husqvarna 11lbs...

Hell, go 4 saw plan:chainsaw:
and buy both :rock:

Kegerstor (great name by the way),

I'm with ya and leaning towards a three saw plan of ms441c, ms261c (gen 2), ms201tc all m tronic saws. How does that layout look?

I was considering a 661 before this deal on the 441c brand new for $625 cash came along. And he more I think about it the really big trees I have in a few pics above are alive and heathy. I have access to some larger saws again as I mentioned above I have a co worker at the firehouse who's family owns a lumber mill. He is a custom select cutter for the mill and has the knowledge/experience and saws to deal with the big boys of one over dies from bugs/fungus/storm damage etc. truthfully 99% of my cutting will be 32-12" trees.

Thanks for the great reply. This was my first thread and I'm blown away by the warm welcome around here, the knowledge and the time people take to make such nice write ups is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't go wrong putting the MS-261 into the equation. My 261-CM M-tronic is a badass little saw.

You guys make me think about chainsaws all day long... I official have the addiction. Needs are transferring into wants at this point.

I already had the ms201t and stihl extendable pole saw running the picco chains and have the means of sharpening. One more thing to think about... Ms241 vs ms261 [emoji12][emoji379]

Kegerstor (great name by the way),

I'm with ya and leaning towards a three saw plan of ms441c, ms261c (gen 2), ms201tc all m tronic saws. How does that layout look?

I was considering a 661 before this deal on the 441c brand new for $625 cash came along. And he more I think about it the really big trees I have in a few pics above are alive and heathy. I have access to some larger saws again as I mentioned above I have a co worker at the firehouse who's family owns a lumber mill. He is a custom select cutter for the mill and has the knowledge/experience and saws to deal with the big boys of one over dies from bugs/fungus/storm damage etc. truthfully 99% of my cutting will be 32-12" trees.

Thanks for the great reply. This was my first thread and I'm blown away by the warm welcome around here, the knowledge and the time people take to make such nice write ups is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jason

Thank you.

If you can afford it, looks great.
But, now this is simply me, some fully agree, some say I'm nuts, but I'd be careful buying all 3 M-tronic... Maybe I'm just nervous because of new technology.. but Ive see too many M-tronic saws that are scored (not recently, but a few years ago when first released). Now Idk if it is because people don't run the saw properly, allowing auto tune to tune properly, or if they are straight gassed, or what the issue is... Idk, but I just am hesitant.

Also, the 3 saw plan would be 201/261/441... Or 35/50/70 cc..
That is a good spread imo.
Especially with access to friends and coworkers saws as needed here and there.

Now, if 99% off your cutting is 12"-32".. Others may disagree, but a 201 is great for 6-12" at 35cc... It'll cut 12", but it'll push that saw. A 241 isn't worth buying brand new for size/weight if you also plan on owning a 261.
If it is your least used saw, I'd say look at the ms211. Same cc size, but not a pro saw. About half the price. Plus, it'll probably be your least used saw, so not that bad to have non pro saw.

I'm not crazy about 35/60/70 cc.. That 35/50/70 just is great size gap. But I still think a 362 would be an excellent "go-to" saw if most wood being cut is 21" average. With a 70cc for larger stuff and 35cc for the small stuff. Or you could than go 241/362/461...

If not for the deal on the 441, I'd say 201/211/241 with 362 with 461.

Sorry, I'm going on and on. This is what CAD does to us... Also why I have too many saws lol..

Lol I posted any 241/362/461 before seeing these other posts lol...
But real quick.. You mentioned getting a saw "snellerized" I believe?

What about a 241 with muffler mod. Something that others describe as easy... A 362 as your go to saw.. And you get the 441 "snellerized"... That way it'll kick it's cc's up
Than you will have 40cc with mm.... 60 cc main saw... And snellerized 70+cc

No doubt picco chains rip. I call my ms201t my 14" light sabre!!!

Great video.

P.S. I've watched every video and given a solid thumbs up on every one, keep them coming please and thank you sir!!

Jason

I have a 20" Sugi Hara bar brand new on the shelf waiting to meet its new master. And I'll have to decide one a 25 or 28" bar next. I'll order another Sugi Hara, I'm a believer. My chains seems to stretch less running these bars and if it's all in my head, then I like these bars because Ninja bar that's why [emoji112]judo chop!!!! Lol

Jason

dde8b2f599e98edc9a027d2f6613c4dc.jpg

3eb3aa37daab97eb2f4714c2a49e16d1.jpg

Got my new saw, MS441C paid $625 for the power head only, brand new.

Couldn't be happier, AV is phenomenal, power is adequate I would not say excessive, but smooth nonetheless. Keeping in mind this was only the first tank, she's only gonna get stronger.

Thanks again for all the great advice.

Now begins the third saw research. You guys are a bad influence on me... That's why I like you guys so much!!!

Thanks a bunch

Jason

dde8b2f599e98edc9a027d2f6613c4dc.jpg

3eb3aa37daab97eb2f4714c2a49e16d1.jpg

Got my new saw, MS441C paid $625 for the power head only, brand new.

Couldn't be happier, AV is phenomenal, power is adequate I would not say excessive, but smooth nonetheless. Keeping in mind this was only the first tank, she's only gonna get stronger.

Thanks again for all the great advice.

Now begins the third saw research. You guys are a bad influence on me... That's why I like you guys so much!!!

Thanks a bunch

Jason

You ain't seen nuthin' yet young man...take my advice, get the hell off the site now, before you lose your home, ol' lady, grills. I'd be a heap more worried about the grills outta the three...:laugh:

Latest posts

Back