Chainsaw selection help, best saw for "me"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mean the 346 is another saw like the "awesome 362 m-tronic" that is the subject of so many posts between chainsaw connoisseurs?

I will just have to continue in my ignorance while trying to sharpen my sharpening and cutting skills as I don't have enough time or money or interest to keep up with the latest and greatest, much less be in the know as to what is truly the greatest.

Ron
Ignorance is bliss when you don't know. The ms362 will be just fine for many.

As chainsaw enthusiast we are blessed to have multiple manufacturers making great saws. In my original post I mentioned how I am very happy with stihl products, am familiar with their use and most of all I have great dealer support near where I live, where I work and importantly there are dealers near my families two farms in rural southern Ohio (Adams and Brown county Ohio). There is not good dealer support for other saw manufacturers in these areas. This does not mean other saws are better or worse, it's just when something does go wrong, I can get it fixed same day in most cases.

This thread is geared towards deciding the best stihl saw to manage my firewood and tree falling needs for my property between the ms362, ms441, ms461 and ms661.

Thanks

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walked the property today to take a few pics to help steer advice on the best saw for "my" needs.

f056201f8a89bbd1dd5681cc88496311.jpg

43" tree at the trunk. I have about 50 trees this size.

a4cee3f5be06efb192ccb7a1d8cbabd7.jpg

32" tree I have over a hundred this size.

a979d8e46441026f0539eaa803788843.jpg

783c4a6fcde6fc97303f705d4ebc428c.jpg

The above two pics show I have a mic of timber size and species. Never know what I'm gonna get into.

6812d06e8294297601fe57ea5ef7eeed.jpg

2ad04986a112da1570ae52ae1c0a9700.jpg

Here are my two current wood piles for firewood. All ash I believe for now, taking out the standing dead. Plenty to around if anyone in central Ohio wants firewood they can come out, help me split and I'll give you half. I have a splitter here and a tractor with pallet forks to move the wood around if need be.

Just thought a few timber pics would help come up with a good saw plan. My bio is I am a moderately experienced saw operator, I know my limits/have a healthy respect for timber cutting dangers, but am not a rookie. I have a good working knowledge of chainsaw mechanics and maintain my firehouse and rescue team saws (factory stihl Virginia beach trained).

So what do ya guys think is a solid saw plan to prepare for firewood gathering and property maintenance?

Thanks

Jason

You NEED a two saw plan. IMHO, a 60cc saw does not fit into that. They're a tweener saw that makes a poor replacement for a strong 50cc saw and a poor replacement for a 70cc saw. You need a 70cc saw to be efficient with that big wood. You also have tremendous need for a quality smaller saw. There's a LOT of limbing and smaller wood to cut there too.

For these reasons I highly suggest you work towards owning a 440/441/461 and a 241/261. That is of you insist on Stihl. Get the bigger saw now, and when you can, work to replace the 290. They are very popular and would be an easy sell.

If you're open to other brands I'd consider the following. For the smaller saw I'd look at a Husky 346/550, or Dolmar 420/421/5105. You have a great Dolmar dealer NE of Columbus, FordF150 here on AS. There's also a great Husky dealer over that way.

For the larger saw I'd recommend considering a Husky 365/372/390 or Dolmar 7900/7910, all with a 28" bar.

Does the ms261 run the 18-20" 325 bar and chains I use on the ms290? I like a multi saw plan and consolidating to pro saws is appealing to me. If I sell the ms290 should I hold back my best bars and chains? I have probably 4-5 bars and 10 chains

You the man Brian. We get this saw plan figured out, I'm loading them all up and heading west on 70 to get your magic sprinkled on em!!!

Thanks

Jason

I called a female member a "brother" the other day, I accidently put female in my profile instead of male and not I call one of the most respected member of this forum by the wrong name, what else can I screw up today[emoji848].

My specialty as you can see is open mouth insert boot. I am sorry about that Brad.

Keep me posted on the newer ms261. I get great deals locally on saw, but I have a few stagnant dealers that don't move inventory fast and won't re order till sold out. So if they have a ms261 or ms362 it's the older style with no plans of ordering the next gen. My dealer still has a ms441 for example.

Jason

I think Brad's post this morning hit the nail on the head.

I've got a very similar woodlot with large white and red oaks. I use an MS460 for felling and bucking and my Dolmar 421 for limbing, thinning, small bucking, etc.

I've also got a Shindaiwa 488 (48cc) for the small stuff, but since I got the Dolmar, it doesn't get used much. I also have a stihl 036 (predecessor to the 362). It'll do the job of the 460, but it's not fun for either of us. I keep it set up with a 16" bar and full chisel chain for bucking softwoods. It's really quite fun for that. For oak that large, I wouldn't want anything smaller than my 460. I've never run a 441, so maybe that'd keep me satisfied too. Honestly, some days I think it'd be swell to have a 90cc saw also. The 460 runs good buried in oak, but it still isn't what I'd call overpowered for the job.

Happy shopping, and keep us posted with your decision.

Given the uncertainty of what you may, or intend to, encounter: For a multiple saw plan, I would skip the 70cc saw (441) and go to a 461 minimum. As to the selection of your small saw - 362 versus 261, I will leave that to others beyond saying: to me a 362 is a small saw; I limb at pretty good lengths; under 4" is brush to me; and I have never regretted having more power than I need. If your style of brushing out the canopy is different (i.e. lots of overhead cutting and/or small diameter cutting) I can certainly see the merits in going as light as possible - maybe even a 241*. I currently don't run anything less than an 036 and haven't in over 30 years.

I have nothing against smaller saws. The choice just depends upon what you intend to do. Back in the late 70s I had a good running 38cc MAC with a 1/4" chain which put a whopping on a few larger saws cutting under 8" stuff on 40 acres or so of woodland I owned. It also worked well for brushing canopies. But it's chassis wasn't constructed very well and the flywheel cover didn't hold up to lots of starts. As a teenager, I help my father maintain his woodland by limbing and cutting undergrowth with a 33cc PM6A. Now I only have a few acres of wooded property that I try to maintain and have not found a need to buy a smaller saw.

My practical vote is a two saw plan, though I would bet you are headed for 5+ saws within two years.

Ron

* Having the same chain pitch and interchangeable lengths is a plus. I don't know what interchanges when you go small. Sharpening should be no problem with your Timberline.

I have a good working knowledge of chainsaw mechanics and maintain my firehouse and rescue team saws (factory stihl Virginia beach trained).

You wouldn't be sandbagging us a little would you? With those credentials buying a used saw should not scare you. :)

You also must have more than 5 acres based upon your tree count. If not, you have a few big ones to try out lots of saws without hurting your stand. :chainsaw:

Ron

Ron,

Amongst my friends I'm a "chainsaw guy". Amongst you fellas I'm a boy amongst men!!! All jokes aside I am cutting now more than I ever have and I want my skills and confidence to grow proportionally if that makes sense. I want to take the next step and get pro saws in my lineup as a reword for my timber skills improving. Having said that, I have a significant respect for how quickly things can and do go wrong in the woods.

Finalized a deal today with a dealer for a brand new never had fuel in it ms441c m tronic for $625 power head only.

I've learned a lot since this thread started and I did allow price to steer my decision a bit at the end, but at the price I paid, I could always sell it and not be upside down if I decide to go bigger or smaller. I am also happy and excited to report now that this is finalized I am planning my next saw purchase a ms261c gen 2.

Now I plan on working with Brad to get this saw and my ms201t snellerized[emoji41]

Don't believe you can knock that price. How did that 201 slip into the equation? Are you sure your real name isn't Bilbo Baggins - as in there is more here than meets the eye.

I see a 661 in your future. :yes:

Ron

The ms201t m tronic is my BBQ fruit wood saw. At least that's what I told my tax lady when I wrote it off… I call that thing my 14 inch light saber. It is also a great saw for ATV riding to packs so well. Did you see my pictures on the what's hitting the grill/smoker tonight thread?

Thanks for all your help Ron

Latest posts

Back