Chainsaw Size Recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently had a tree climber cut down a 100 ft. white pine tree. I am left with some pretty good size 3 to 4 ft. diameter logs that I want to cut up. I have done what I could with my Stihl MS250 18" bar. I am now looking for a bigger saw that I can afford and have narrowed it down to the Husqvarna 365 with a 28 inch bar or the Stihl 391 that can take up to a 25 inch bar. Both saws are 64 cc and a little over 4 h.p. My concern is with the bar lengths. The Stihl can take up to a 25 inch bar although on Stihl's website the recommended length is 16 to 20 inch. The Husky can take up to a 28 inch bar length. I can buy the 28-inch Husky for 569.95 and the Stihl 25-inch for $599.95 Would I do better with a 28 inch bar or would I be sacrificing performance with it. I do like Stihl equipment and have never owned anything made by Husqvarna.
Thank you for all your help.

I haven't used the 365 but have a 575 with 38" bar and I love it, biggest tree I've dropped with it was about 2.5x bar length, it was a Grand Fir, and the saw was great. Also have an old Stihl 088 and 084, the husky is the saw I choose every time. Not sure how price compares for the 575 over the 368 though. Hope that helps!

For a 28" bar I'd be looking for a bit larger saw.

IMO a 391 is better suited with around a 20" bar.

I suppose all depends on your needs and expectations. I run 24" bars on 460s and that's a good match for me. Also have a 24" on a 362, does ok, but it's slower going with a full cut.

Not sure in Husqvarna flavor, I've only had a 2100 and 288, both with 24" bars.

See if you can find a Jonsered 2166. It the same saw as the 365XT. There's a $150 instant rebate on them until June 30th. You can probably get one for about $600 or so. It's a mag case pro built saw. Probably the best bang for the buck as new saws go right now.

NYH1.

I just bought a Ms462 with a 25" and it has awesome power for its weight ,so light that its perfectly balanced with bars as small as 16"

For cutting wood that size I'd go at least a 70cc saw.

A used husky 272xp, 372xp, stihl 044, 038 magnum is what you should be after. Even an old 266xp would do the job. White pine is pretty easy to cut.

If you're going new that's a lot of money to spend unless you're going to be cutting wood that size often.

Tree climber will be taking another big hemlock down...not as big as the white pine but the trunk at base is 3 to 4 feet diameter. Would the Husky Rancher 465 be OK with the 28" bar if I take it easy? Or would it just bog down? I plan on selling the saw when I'm done or maybe just keep it if I like it. Thanks.

I've cut 3' fir using an MS32CM and a 24" (Stihl 25") bar. It's a slog and the oiler does not produce enough oil even when turned up. The 391 makes less power than the 362. A 24" bar will be too much for it. If you're buying a saw for this task and will have more like it in the future, get a bigger saw. If this is the only time you can see needing a saw this big, hire it out.

I'm having a god amount of large tree work to do so I bought a used MS460.

I've cut 3' fir using an MS32CM and a 24" (Stihl 25") bar. It's a slog and the oiler does not produce enough oil even when turned up. The 391 makes less power than the 362. A 24" bar will be too much for it. If you're buying a saw for this task and will have more like it in the future, get a bigger saw. If this is the only time you can see needing a saw this big, hire it out.

I'm having a god amount of large tree work to do so I bought a used MS460.
My 046 Mag would have also filled the bill and I agree that a 25" bar is too much for a 361 or 362 to handle on a regular basis. Perhaps you needed an MS440 or 441, but I think your choice of the used MS460 is excellent.

I have an 039 that I ran for several seasons with a 20" bar and I thought it was fine until I bought a used 046 and put the 20" bar on it. Now my 039 wears a 16" or 18" bar.

If you are set on doing it yourself i honestly would rent a homedepot makita 6421 and buy a 28 inch bar return it the rental when done. A 6421 would pull and oil a 28 incher no problem. The 2 times you are going to use it the cash loss of buying a new saw and selling it if you dont kill it first on a tree too big for it will be much less with the rental and buying a bar and chain for the rental. Plus you can sell me the 28 b&c when your done.

I agree. It took me 4 years to decide to buy my 461. Unbelievable what I did tackle with the 290. Getting the BIG saw, if you are on a budget is something to consider carefully. The big saws are great, buy costly and a PITA for smaller stuff. Even the 290 is a bit much for much of what I have to do, post winter clean up.

Tree climber will be taking another big hemlock down...not as big as the white pine but the trunk at base is 3 to 4 feet diameter. Would the Husky Rancher 465 be OK with the 28" bar if I take it easy? Or would it just bog down? I plan on selling the saw when I'm done or maybe just keep it if I like it. Thanks.

No.

MS461 minimum.

As stated get a bigger saw. Look around in the trading post section or ebay ect. An used 044, ms440, or ms460, makita 6421 will suit you well. If you want new the 461 is great and you get dealer support. The echo cs 800 and makita 7910 come in about the same price from the home depot at 850.

A 70cc saw would be ideal for 28" bar length but if you can run longer bars on smaller saws. Get a few loops of skip chain and you'll be fine. It's not the best setup but you only need it for occasional use. You're cutting softwood too so that makes it easier.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back