Chainsaw storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cold storage works fine for me.
View attachment 210633View attachment 210634View attachment 210635View attachment 210636
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

GREAT PHOTOS :biggrin:

I never store my important gear all in the same place. You do that, you are tempting Murphy.

*Stuff* happens. And the previous stuff that happens can make your stuff grow legs, stuff burns up, stuff has trees smash down on it, stuff gets hit with tornadoes, stuff gets soaked in floods, and etc.

I have always kept mine in the garage which is now insulated, but was not for several years and had no issues.

If you go basement route drain and clean tanks as it should be done anyway yearly. Start saw and run it dry at idle. Complete detail of saw and bag it in heavy duty garbage bag and put it where you want. Come next spring saw will need oil and fuel and go cut that is if you sharpened all yer chains as well:msp_thumbsup:

I never store my important gear all in the same place. You do that, you are tempting Murphy.

*Stuff* happens. And the previous stuff that happens can make your stuff grow legs, stuff burns up, stuff has trees smash down on it, stuff gets hit with tornadoes, stuff gets soaked in floods, and etc.

I am envisioning dozens, no wait, hundreds of small storage buildings with 1 or 2 important gear items in them. I had to say it.

I am envisioning dozens, no wait, hundreds of small storage buildings with 1 or 2 important gear items in them. I had to say it.

errr...not exactly what I meant, but one detached far from the house storage building with *some* of your stuff, the rest in the attached garage, then some in the basement, then some in the truck etc, is more what I meant. Like right now, my (very few and functional) work saws are in three different buildings, as are sets of redundant hand tools, tools I absolutely need for my work, plus some tools in my truck, so that is four places...not everything, just some common basic tools. If I lost all of them at one time because they were in one place..I couldn't replace them. Right now because I make much less than I used to, I couldn't replace hardly any of that gear. I don't even have enough spare cash to go get a new wild thang, for real. And without my tools..then what? I can't work then. Look at Stumps thread, that is an example of all or most of your important stuff in one place, can poof on ya fast when you least expect it.

Stuff happens, that's all. I just follow that old adage, don't put all your eggs in one basket. I got ripped once, came home to my cabin after work one day, lived way the heck out in the sticks then, fresh snowmobile tracks right up to my door..yep, wiped out, every single possible item of true value to me, stuff I really needed to live, and some other valuable stuff, poof, gone. I didn't have much then, cabin had no utilities so I had lamps, a saw, axe, some fishing gear, my bow, flashlight, portable radio, and some other stuff, not much but wicked important to my existence then. Learned my lesson then on not keeping all the cool stuff in one place. Had to replace it all, then I got some backups as well, and stored them in my employers barn. Just in case.

That's really all I meant. House fire, burglary, basement floods from laundry going on the fritz, who knows.

Heck, last year when the tornado hit us, had my saw in the house on a rack, it missed getting smashed by a couple of feet when the several tons of oak came into the house. I lucked out. I needed a functional reliable gassed up and bar oiled up saw fast then, within minutes, as fast as I could move a ladder and get it in gear, had to climb the roof while the storm was still in full force, trim big branches, leaving the main trunk part, enough to get tarps over everything so the household stuff wouldn't get drenched. If it had been "no saw day" because it was smashed, I couldn't have done that in time, would have lost a lot more from water damage. Now, I keep them spread out, them, as in now I have a few runners, not just one. I couldn't have either bought one or borrowed one in time. And when a tornado hits a community, you ain't buying or borrowing a saw real soon. And everyone else is busy dealing with their own repairs and their immediate neighbors and families, you can very well be on your own for awhile. As we were.

Back