Chainsaw toolkit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gab250

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey, I mainly use my Stihl 026 chainsaw for getting a bit of firewood, usually close to home and even on my Propertey, I am just wondering though, what tools and spare parts I should assemble into a small Kit for it, so far I've got the following:

2 round files
Small orange handled Stihl screwdriver
Bar wrench

I should also mention that My dad has one of those scraper things and things for checking the angle of the rakers (I think that's what it's for, my dad knows) and he has a flat file and a file guide and is good at sharpening chains

Do I need to take anything else with me when I am cutting in terms of tools and parts?

Thanks, Gab

- I started carrying a few bolts and nuts. They seem to charge practically the cost of gold for them. A bar nut or two minimum plus 2 or 3 different length bolts.

- Spare starter rope.

- Torx wrench, if your scrench does not have one.

- I also have one of those bar vises that you spike into wood to help sharpen your chain. I usually have enough spare chain that I don't use it.

Last edited:
I was back in the boonies, tossed a chain, dinged a few drivers, and had to hike out to get a flat file. Now I carry a spare chain along with a chain file, bar nuts, spark plug, and scrench. And of course my chaps, gloves, & ear protection.

file
scrench
spare drive sprocket
screw driver (small stihl)
spare e-clip(hold drive sprocket on)
spare fuel and oil caps for saw
extra nuts and bolts and screws

At a minimum, my chainsaw bag always has the following items in it:

Complete filing kit:
- round file
- file guide
- flat file
- bar groove cleaning tool (doubles as raker depth gauge)

- stump vise
- scrench
- extra chains
- extra bar nuts
- plastic wedges
- mix oil (at least one bottle)
- leather gloves (for protection when sharpening)
- sharpie marker (for marking the first cutter filed when sharpening)
- roll of paper towels
- insect repellent

There are other things that I take with me when cutting (fuel, bar oil, extra bar, axe/maul, rope, first aid kit, etc.), but they don't fit in that bag.

Last edited:
At a minimum, my chainsaw bag always has the following items in it:

Complete filing kit:
- round file
- file guide
- flat file
- bar groove cleaning tool (doubles as raker depth gauge)

- stump vise
- scrench
- extra chains
- extra bar nuts
- plastic wedges
- mix oil (at least one bottle)
- leather gloves (for protection when sharpening)
- sharpie marker (for marking the first cutter filed when sharpening)
- roll of paper towels
- insect repellent

There are other things that I take with me when cutting (fuel, bar oil, extra bar, axe/maul, rope, first aid kit, etc.), but they don't fit in that bag.

#1 mine to , I use old rags instead of paper towels and no repellent.
I also have bar tip grease gun, yes I use it. Spark Plug, pliars and needle nose, groove cleaner / putty knife/.

I'm new around here and quickly learned to pack:

Files
File Guide
Flat File
Depth Gauge
Extra Chains
Stump Vise
Gloves
Ear Protection
WEDGES. LOL. Learned that one last week.
Screnches for ALL my saws (Echo is a small one)
Nuts
Mix Oil
Extra Pants, shirt , socks and shoes. Heat off that muffler makes one sweaty.
Spark Plugs
Bar Oil.. Almost forgot that one. LOL. Makes a short cutting session without it.

I carry:

2x scrench. One with flat driver on the end, the other with a torx end.
Spare chains
Wedges
Spare bar nuts
Cleaning rags
Spare bars
Staple gemmy
Tape measure
Tin snips
Small carb drivers
Stump vise
Various files,guides,bar hooks

Larger tools:

Felling axe
Irish slasher
Small hatchet
Felling lever/peavey

OK , you got me on that one ......I need a picture because it can't be what i'm thinking of .

:cheers:

There ya go. Superb traditional tool, not often used. I first used one as a lad ferreting for clearing dense brush.
These tools, like the Matock, and the long shovel with spear point have disappeared into obscurity, but the older folk knew their game. Much easier to use.
http://shop.btcv.org.uk/shop/level3/18/stock/247

Get one. You wont regret it. Ideal for clearing dense brush and cutting down saplings. I wouldnt be without one.
Cheers Andy.

There ya go. Superb traditional tool, not often used. I first used one as a lad ferreting for clearing dense brush.
These tools, like the Matock, and the long shovel with spear point have disappeared into obscurity, but the older folk knew their game. Much easier to use.
http://shop.btcv.org.uk/shop/level3/18/stock/247

Get one. You wont regret it. Ideal for clearing dense brush and cutting down saplings. I wouldnt be without one.
Cheers Andy.

We have these: http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=1770

I would suggest adding TP to everyone's list. ;)

As you can see the list gets long. This works well to carry my stuff and keep it dry.....

attachment.php

attachment.php

The stuff that I carry: saw chaps - steel toed boots - saw helmet - wedges - axe - fuel/oil tank cap(s) - extra bar nuts(2x) - spark plug - air filter - extra chains - bar -sharping kit - raker gauge - flat file - small paint brush to clean off fuel/oil cap area before filling -grease for roller tip - mccoy (hand)oiler- extra bottle of bar oil 32oz - rags to wipe up spills - extra rims - electric tape - allen wrenches -screwdrivers - Fuel resistant tape(Dont think I would use it, but never know) two gallons of mix - one gallon of bar oil

I need to buy some starter cord and a starter handle. Also I need to put some shrink tube in my kit.

If that stuff does not fix my saw in the field, then I always carry a backup saw.

Also for myself and my father I carry a heaping large lunch,snacks and a large water cooler! Plus a well stocked first aid kit. And some extra clothes, flash light and rain gear.

I carry tools but never use them. Beer three saws, spitting maul and cant hook and I am good to go. I forgot the file.

Back