Chainsaw trencher attachment?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OM617YOTA

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Have a bud looking to trench in some irrigation lines. Anyone know of a chainsaw trencher that's not a couple grand?

Probably just going to rent a small trencher, they're under a hundred bucks a day, but if he can buy a trencher to have for later for a few hundred, he'd probably go that route instead.

I have not seen any that were not at least $2000. Hell the price of the saw is close to that. The ones I have seen are on 3120's

I’ve never heard of this attachment but I’d be concerned a saw wouldn’t be able to get water lines below the frost line.
I do not know about your area but here they never put irrigation lines anywhere near the frost level. That is extremely expensive and not needed. Whenever possible they knive them in. When fall comes you blow them out with air.

I'd look for a small used ditch witch. They have ones with a chain ditcher on back and a digging bucket up front.

Probably around or more than the 2k mentioned above.

Thanks folks, appreciate the input. For the ~$2k price, my buddy will just rent one for the $100/day it costs. If he could find a $500 trencher option he'd probably go that route, but for $2k he'll just rent one.

We did consider getting a $150 Amazon chinesium saw, using the wood bar and chain, and just destroying it using it as a trencher. That option still costs more than just renting the proper tool, and doubtless won't work as well either.

I’ve never heard of this attachment but I’d be concerned a saw wouldn’t be able to get water lines below the frost line.

Mild climate here, frost line is maybe a couple inches, and for less than a week per year.

I found it cheaper to rent for doing my buried electric I was running. Then having one of those I didnt have to fight it like a hand held one when hitting rocks and roots.

GL on choice and doing.

Have seen a few older ones FS local.

This older homie looks like would work better then hand held one.

htrench.jpg

Not many normal trenchers trench through rock.
With a modified chain we were doing it 25 years ago. 8" wide and 8' deep. I could have gone up to 12" wide but its hard on rigging.
185 hp John Deer engine.

I found it cheaper to rent for doing my buried electric I was running. Then having one of those I didnt have to fight it like a hand held one when hitting rocks and roots.

GL on choice and doing.

Have seen a few older ones FS local.

This older homie looks like would work better then hand held one.

View attachment 1126143

Something like that would be ideal. I'll tell my bud to keep an eye open on the used local market.

Around the farm I just use a tractor and subsoil implement, tie the water line behind the implement and lay the water line down as you cut the trench.
I have a single shank just for that purpose.

I guess you missed a key word in what I said. :omg:
Mine was a normal trencher. We just made different teeth for going through rock.

It ditched 6" wide from the factory. The chain came with cups on it that were garbage for what we dug.

If it's irrigation pipe, how about using a small plow to put it in with.

Mine was a normal trencher. We just made different teeth for going through rock.

It ditched 6" wide from the factory. The chain came with cups on it that were garbage for what we dug.

If it's irrigation pipe, how about using a small plow to put it in with.

1699467463380.png

We did consider getting a $150 Amazon chinesium saw, using the wood bar and chain, and just destroying it using it as a trencher. That option still costs more than just renting the proper tool, and doubtless won't work as well either.
I have an extra 455 Rancher and some old go to hell bars and chains, and have used it is a shallow trencher when I've needed one, but just for small amounts of work. Wouldn't try to use it for a whole irrigation project. Has saved me time on some of my wife's gardening projects though lol.

Back