Chainsaw Tuning 101

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to wake up a quiet thread but I have a tuning question. I have a Mac 10-10 and I don't know for sure if it is a limited Rev coil. It still the stock points ignition system. Also, while I get how you guys all tune in the cut but on the Mac I can't get to the carb screws unless the air filter is removed. Any suggestions here? If I bench tune it, will adding the air filter then change the tune? Thanks....

As long as this has been bumped, I also have a question...

The acceleration on those saws in Brad's sample videos is amazing!
Should a saw that only has a MM be able to attain that type of acceleration (when adjusted properly) or is it the modifications that had most likely been done to the saws that account for it?

I don't have trouble setting the high speed jet to clear up in the cut but I'm not sure that I know the correct procedure to optimize the acceleration - (even if it's not as quick as those in the video)

Thanks.
Paul

As long as this has been bumped, I also have a question...

The acceleration on those saws in Brad's sample videos is amazing!
Should a saw that only has a MM be able to attain that type of acceleration (when adjusted properly) or is it the modifications that had most likely been done to the saws that account for it?

I don't have trouble setting the high speed jet to clear up in the cut but I'm not sure that I know the correct procedure to optimize the acceleration - (even if it's not as quick as those in the video)

Thanks.
Paul
When Brad breathes on the inside of a chainsaw ,the EPA deamons are driven out never to return! In their place breathing is opened up ,timing may be advanced, compression may be greater and yeah muffler mod has occurred . Just MM'd with correct tuning will assist saw to operate better, but not like an all out worksaw

Okay, so I can forget about achiving that type of instant acceleration:nofunny:- but is there a standard procedure to follow to make sure my saws are adjusted as best as possible in regard to that one aspect or is just a matter of trial and error adjusting the low speed jet and idle stop?

I see that Madsen's has instructions here... http://www.madsens1.com/saw_carb_tune.htm

I'll give that a shot and see if I get any improvement.

Thanks,
Paul

I thought I was pretty decent at tuning a chainsaw, but after watching these guys I realize how much I have to learn. They obviously know what they're doing given the advanced techniques they use at the end of the video:

I thought I was pretty decent at tuning a chainsaw, but after watching these guys I realize how much I have to learn. They obviously know what they're doing given the advanced techniques they use at the end of the video:

:surprised3:

OMG, I could almost hear the saw crying for mercy! At one point I thought he was going to use it as a trencher! I may not know everything but wow! I feel smarter now. Lol

OMG, I could almost hear the saw crying for mercy! At one point I thought he was going to use it as a trencher! I may not know everything but wow! I feel smarter now. Lol
I used Google Translate and I'm pretty sure he said that the final tune must be done with the bar tip fully below ground. I'm going to try that tomorrow.

I enjoyed his buddy who helped hold the saw to the ground so it didn't jump up and sacrificed his foot to hold the wood from moving as well.

Back