Chainsaw tuning question post mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stheis004

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I honed out the muffler on my echo 330t a few weeks ago and set the carb just by listening to how it sounds. It's a whole new saw, seriously not far behind the 200s at work. My question is, is this dangerous to have tuned it without a tach, it seems there's a rev limiter, will that prevent it from running too lean and burning up. I used it for two jobs this weekend quite a bit and can't believe the power that was hidden in this thing!

Rev limiter won't save u'r bacon as when u'r in the cut, you can be super-lean, but not near the limiter. Tuning by ear is safe, assuming you can hear 4-stroking as soon as you ease out of a cut. Bouncing off the limiter can mimic 4 stroking, but you should hear something like this when you ease out of a cut

Not to derail, but with my MM'd CS-590 it is easy to hear 4-stroking... however I MM'd my MS192TC (similar top handle). I'm having a hell of a time hearing it 4-stroke, unless I open up the H way past the stock setting (~3/4T out). Putting a tach on it (regrettably after the MM) showed it revving with the stock setting to 14.5k... I was able to bring it down to 13.5k with the H.

Not to derail, but with my MM'd CS-590 it is easy to hear 4-stroking... however I MM'd my MS192TC (similar top handle). I'm having a hell of a time hearing it 4-stroke, unless I open up the H way past the stock setting (~3/4T out). Putting a tach on it (regrettably after the MM) showed it revving with the stock setting to 14.5k... I was able to bring it down to 13.5k with the H.
Some saws are just harder to hear when they four stroke. Some of the older Poulans are very easy to hear, they're fun to tune compared to some..

Latest posts

Back