Chainsaw ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hausfire

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
OK I am now sick and tired of this piece of shirt Craftsman chainsaw I own. It did its job, sort of. But my friend has a 38" oak that fell in his yard and Im gonna go at it soon, and I dont want to use that old shirt Craftsman I want to buy new. I want to buy a Stihl or a Husky. not sure what model though.

I dont use it everyday but I want it to cut up the big stiff when I need it. Also to buck the smaller stuff most of the time.

Can anyone recomend the right tool for the right job

Thanks Haus

When I was in the middle of doing hurricane cleanup at one of our rental houses in 2004, I got so sick of beating the life out of my two antiques that I left and drove to my usual saw shop/lawnmower dealer in town. I didn't do any research or looking around. I simply told him to give me the best deal on the best 20" saw he had that was ready to go. Even though he also sells Stihl and Husky (he may have been out of them at the time), he pulled an Echo CS-520 out of the rack and sent me on my way. I've never regretted it for an instant. I love this saw.

Last edited:
I've heard great things about the Dolmar 5100.You can find then around $400.I am ecumenical when it comes to saws, having Stihls, Huskies and Jonsereds, but it really comes down to dealer support.If you find a dealer you like most likely you will like the saw he sells/services.

I have 455 Ranchers for 299. They are factory refurbished saws, but they come with the full 2 year warranty. 299.99

Hmmm, $400 isn't much for a new saw that will be whacking away at 38" oaks. With this budget, you might want to consider a used pro level saw.

If you're hell bend on buying new, you might want to consider a new or refurbished Makita 6401. You can get them for around $300-$350 online, this leaves a little in the bank for B&C money.

...but it really comes down to dealer support.If you find a dealer you like most likely you will like the saw he sells/services.

Exactly! A few weeks ago I was taking down a big ol' worm-killed longleaf pine at that same property when my rope broke. I pulled the starter and went to the dealer. Even though the place was full of customers, ten minutes and $2.65 later, I was on my way back to work.

I picked up a used Husky 272xp just for this same reason. I got it from a fellow AS member for 300.00. It came with a 20" bar and a couple of extra chains. I bought a 28" bar for it and 2 more chains. It's perfect for what I'm doing. I don't use my saws everyday, only occasionally, so it should last me forever.

And in comes "EVIL ANDY" (add bad guy reverb for effect)

How much felling experiance do you have? A 38" Oak 'aint a walk in the park!! I just dropped a 32" Oak and had it braberchair on me. I have quite a bit of experiance, but screwed up! I was in that tree with a HEAVILY modded 046 Magnum running a 32" bar.
It's no secret around here that I have NO LOVE for the 455. I've dropped a couple of 24'-28" Oaks with the 350. I won't do it again!! (I don't have to now!!)
Sorry man, but poney up the money and get a real saw for a real job!!
Yeah, you might pull it off, but it's not easy, and how much is not getting killed worth?

Dolmar 7900.

I've heard great things about the Dolmar 5100.You can find then around $400.I am ecumenical when it comes to saws, having Stihls, Huskies and Jonsereds, but it really comes down to dealer support.If you find a dealer you like most likely you will like the saw he sells/services.

I'm a big Dolmar fan too. For $400 You can pick up a Makita (Dolmar) 6401 which is the same chassis as a 7900 but with 64cc. It's really the best bang for the buck out there. I see them new in the box for under $400 all the time on Evil-Bay.

Stihl ...did Somebody Say Stihl....

well , i own 3 saws that i use alot and ive had all kinds and different brands .for my money (which doesnt grow on trees ) yuk yuk (i made a funny)
stihl has the parts , the service and it seems all others are rated against them...
I could buy crapsman tools but i bought snap on instead

spend the extra money
sorry all you lowes shoppers :chainsawguy:

you could get a stihl ms 290 or ms 310 within your price range. i have both and for the money its hard to beat, especially the 310 w/ 20" bar its a pretty powerful mid range saw ive had mine for 6 years and it still runs like the day i got it. you could search for used ones, i picked up the 290 w/ 18" bar used for $175 you will be happy w/ either one good luck

I'm really liking my Stihl MS310 (mid-range saw they call it) with 20" bar; $417 from my local stihl dealer.

KRS

Latest posts

Back