Chainsawing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mopar969

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Before I begin I found this sight when I was looking for a grapple load near my house. I have a 42 cc 18" Craftsmen chainsaw brand new.

I am currently wanting to switch from an oil furnace to a wood furnace because of the cheaper price to operate. Also, because I have 6.5 acres of woods on my property. I am new to chainsawing and I am aware about being safe. However, is all this work worth the risk or should I stick with oil and pay 2100 dollars a winter. I know that there is alot of safety needed with chainsaws so I am buying chaps, helmet, ear muffs, face shield, steel toe boots, and gloves. I wanted to know what I need to do to have a safe chainsawing following my owners manual of course. Does anybody have a pdf manual they would recommend for me as a first time chainsawer.

Do You think I am just over worried. I would like to save money but at the same time I have heard some horror stories and I don't want to lose a body part, especially considering I need to use the chain saw every summer.

P.S. What do you guys use to protect your arms, and will leather gloves from harbor freight work or do I need the better baileys chain saw gloves. Also, how often do you sharpen and or replace you chain.

Thanks guys for all advice. I figure that as long as I am aware of the safety issues with a chainsaw I am less likely to have a problem, but since I am new at this I want to know how dangers they are!

I don't think it nees to be moved. He's in Arborist 101 and he needs advise.

I would say you are not overprotecting yourself and you're not being too concerned. Tree's can be tricky and without knowledge and practice, (lots of practice) taking trees down, you could get injured or worse. First thing you may want to do is realize if you're physically ready for the demand. Are you in pretty decent shape? Lumping brush and logs around isn't as easy as some may make it look. To start, I would take down a few small trees and see how it goes. As time goes on and you gain confidence, try for bigger trees that can easily fall. Always keep in mind, anything can happen so don't get too bold. To make your experience better, use the saw you have and always keep it sharp. A dull chain will make the task seem like hell and will ruin your enthusiasm. After a season, if you're still into it, start looking for a stronger saw. A second saw is always a help to get you out of a bind and could allow you to continue cutting while the other one is being repaired. Cutting, splitting and burnng wood is a constant job. Just because it's not cold outside doesn't mean the job is done. Cut all year so you'll have the wood handy when needed. :cheers:

Arm Chaps chaps for your arms

Safe Chainsaw Operation

I think the most important thing for running a saw is understanding tension and compression wood. IE, understanding how the cut is going to respond to the force on the wood. If you constantly pinch the saw bar and chain, its hard on the saw and very dangerous. If its a very heavy piece, it can rip the saw from your grip.

Welcome to the world of chainsaws and trees. I know of a few people that have got wood boilers and it is very satisfying to know you are heating your home without the need for an oil supplier. You can not say free because your time has a value and you will have a good amount of money invested in your heating equipment and your fire wood equipment.

I hope you have a pick up or some similar kind of truck, or an suv and trailer. 6.5 acres of wood only goes so far, you will need other means of attaining wood.

You are on the right track with safety. 25 years ago you got scoffed at for wearing an arsenal of safety equipment, today you earn respect for the same out fit. I got my first saw at the age of 12 so my learning curve was probably not what you would recommend. Maybe you can source some fire wood that is cut up into manageable lengths already. Set these up in a controlled environment such as your back yard and get a feel for the saw. I would build a cutting rack to get the logs off the ground, this will make the job more comfortable and safer for you. In addition to this, you will keep your saw chain away from your number one enemy, dirt.

A well lit work bench with a vise gives you a good starting point for hand sharpening. Once the original chain is worn out, find a local chainsaw shop that will sell you a better chain. Buy a couple of spares. That way if you are not happy with your sharpening abilities, you can swap the chain out for one that is already sharpened. A dull chain makes using a chainsaw a miserable experience. Give yourself plenty of time to learn this new skill set you are in need of. Like using the saw, sharpening skills will get better with time and practice.

Read up on falling techniques and start with small trees in an area that nothing can get hurt. Using a chainsaw is an art, you simply can not pick one up and be a master of it in an afternoon. Read the owners manual and start small and slow. Keep your work zone as uncluttered and free of trip hazards as possible.

Good luck, I hope others will chime in and give some more good info.

Many yrs ago when I was a printer I did a book called "Heating Your Home w/ Wood", don't know if it is still in print but a real good starting point. Like all things, a good coach would be nice, if you have a bud that cuts go help him one day and pick up some pointers( assumes he is not a moron) IHMO the number one things that will hurt you are logs/limbs under tension and contacting the tip of your bar against something when you are not ready for it. Lots of info on the net about felling cuts etc, just do your homework. My safety equipment consists of ear plugs, boots and a pair of gloves ( I wear glasses) Not saying the other stuff is not important but the most important thing is between your ears. Saws and trees will kill you

P.S. give yourself a refresher course on lifting, bad backs are the bane of woodcutters

Many yrs ago when I was a printer I did a book called "Heating Your Home w/ Wood", don't know if it is still in print but a real good starting point. Like all things, a good coach would be nice, if you have a bud that cuts go help him one day and pick up some pointers( assumes he is not a moron) IHMO the number one things that will hurt you are logs/limbs under tension and contacting the tip of your bar against something when you are not ready for it. Lots of info on the net about felling cuts etc, just do your homework. My safety equipment consists of ear plugs, boots and a pair of gloves ( I wear glasses) Not saying the other stuff is not important but the most important thing is between your ears. Saws and trees will kill you

P.S. give yourself a refresher course on lifting, bad backs are the bane of woodcutters

Geez, I think I read that book back in the late 70s when I put in my wood boiler.
Phil

Burning firewood for heat is an enjoyable necessity. Cutting your own firewood employes a skill, and understanding of techniques that are coveted by many an outdoors-man, who truly enjoy the work involved. In the old days, being around seasoned instructors was pretty normal during firewood season. The saws were extra heavy, and as dangerous as breaking in a young mule or horse. You never took anything for granted, it could kill you. You worked all day, everyday in a flannel shirt, jeans, and boots.

Today, things are different. Many men start out cutting firewood without any prior knowledge of handsaws or chainsaws, or the mysteries of the forest. They are usually alone. Danger abounds as exhaustion increases, so safety gear needs to be in proper use at all times. A few good books, and some quiet reading time can make for an enjoyable experience in the life of a man, and his family around the old wood burning stove.

The book, To Fell A Tree, by Jeff Jepson, is full of great knowledge. Cutting techniques and basic chainsaw safety and use is covered. Difficult removals using rope techniques are also covered. Read all you can, practice often.

This will need to be carefully thought out. Are you planning on converting to an OWB, or just use fireplaces and indoor wood stoves to heat your house? How much will it cost to make the initial changes to convert to wood burning? What kind of wood is on the 6.5 acres? If it's a pine forest it won't provide as many BTU's as hardwood. Where will you get wood next winter? It'll be close on whether there is enough drying time, and there may not be enough standing dead dry trees, as it may take as many as 10 cords or wood for heat depending on the size of your house and efficiency of your equipment. How much money do you make for an hour of work? This will be work intensive, and may take 100+ hours for a winter of heat. Plan on the work feeling less like fun and more like work as the years pass. All the above safety advice has been excellent. As long as you expect the dangerous end of the saw to behave somewhat unpredictably, and expect trees to want to drop large branches on you and fall in your direction, you'll be off to a good start. Stay off the chainsaw forum, the last thing you need is more saw at this point. Buy a few extra chains to change out, and learn to sharpen them with a hand file.
Welcome to the forum, it can be an excellent source of help, and good luck

to start, here's a couple pointers.

1. get wood all year round. it really takes the suck out of it

2. cut trees that are already down. start with a small tree at the tip. prop the end up and cut down through on the elevated end. do not cut down through on the opposite side of your prop. just keep moving it towards the trunk.

3. don't cut dirt!

a wooded acre will drop around a cord of wood a year. cut easy, small stuff until you get a feel for the saw.

as far as safety goes, heres a couple things you MUST understand. always have an exit. a drop the saw get the heck outta there exit. also, people don't realize how heavy wood really is. especially when green. felling trees can break off limbs and tree tops. bucking logs can send them rolling. all of which will flatten a human no sweat. start small. pay attention.

chains need sharpened often to stay efficient. learn how to do it. its easier to give the chain a few light strokes to keep it sharp than to run it dull and then try and restore it.

Just a thought but a little beginning forestry might not be a bad idea before you start your saw. How do you want to manage your wood lot? If you have potentially merchantable saw timber your focus might be on stand improvement(thinning and pruning trash and damage/crooked trees) and if you wish to regenerate your woods you might elect to clear cut in blocks so you can replant to what you want to have in 40 yrs. Cutting veneer grade walnut for firewood is not best use and it doesn't heat that well anyway

Latest posts

Back