Chainsaws and the delicate human frame.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tennis elbow/firewood arm just screaming after one tank today cutting brush and I'm putting off loading the stove because it's gonna hurt picking up the firewood

I had that so bad a few years ago I couldnt even swing a hammer or pick up a gallon of milk out of the fridge. The only thing that worked for me was one of those tennis elbow straps that strap around your forearm.

65 yrs young , two new hips in the last 5 yrs . Started cutting 20 cords a yr of hard rock Maple @ 16 with my Dads Pioneer 11-60 and P -29 . Played semi pro hockey raced snowmobiles & motocross professionally . Still hunt and fish and cut a few cord of firewood for the garage with my new saw , ain,t Life Grand !

The limited bending is due to the swelling and will continually get better, don’t worry too much about that part. What’s important, is to get your leg straight.
...and remember...someone lopped the ends of your leg bones off. It’s gonna take time....
You’ll live....

Now that it's done, go on youtube and watch a knee replacement and you can understand the bruising. Glad I didn't watch one till after.
Stuff of nightmares , glad I didn't watch that beforehand too!
I had it done under a spinal anaesthetic so was awake throughout, my head was wobbling with all the banging drilling and grinding and I'm sure at one point I could hear a hammer and chisel !! always had a general anaesthetic before and was blissfully unaware of anything!

The limited bending is due to the swelling and will continually get better, don’t worry too much about that part. What’s important, is to get your leg straight.
...and remember...someone lopped the ends of your leg bones off. It’s gonna take time....
You’ll live....
That's reassuring buddy, I can straighten it almost fully and get nearly 90 deg on the bend
What a journey, its been a long ten years since I started out with a meniscus tear!

Tennis elbow/firewood arm just screaming after one tank today cutting brush and I'm putting off loading the stove because it's gonna hurt picking up the firewood

About 12 years ago I planted 8 wine grape vines in my back yard in Colorado. Each plant, with layered soil amendments, required a 3 foot deep hole 18 inches across . . . in very rocky hardpan soil. I dug them with a post-hole digger. The grapes did very well, but I developed a bad case of tennis elbow. It was with me for over 6 months and gradually faded away and has not returned. These orthopedic maladies can be very slow healing.

Now that I am getting old,

the more I understand Jimmy Swaggart.....

Heck I’m understanding South Park and spongebob,,,,,,,, pecker stopped working get a p pump? Lol. My whole body is shutting down.

From hard work and heavy lifting I popped three lower discs in my back, I have spinal stenosis, bad hip, bad knees, kidney failure, burnt bladder from radiation, I’m A train wreck looking for a place to happen.

It’s suppose to be my golden years it’s more like castiron years. The chain saws keeps me busy and my mind off of things I’m 68yo.

If your young throttle back on working too hard save some for retirement. Your health means everything. I worked two and three jobs all my life supporting my family failure wasn’t an option.

So far I've been very lucky to have no broken bones or much pain but spending nearly 2500 hours at the end of the weed wacker have given me slightly hooked hands, you'll break before the echo, Tanaka, or redmax weed wacker will. The worst injury I've had is a twisted ankle and just kept working on because I would have rather continued on than leave my crew for 5 days while they were spiked out.

My present job has taught me to work a little smarter but the gorilla in me comes in handy when working on navigation bouys pulling up weights and cable or docks that need to be in the water. I've never been hurt at this job have seen coworker nearly die when he ran a jd mower off a hill, a week in a medically induced coma and three months in the hospital. I've seen our park visit ours get killed by their own stupidity. I can say that I've never been injured by a chainsaw.

I was cutting a hickory tree with a split trunk one trunk ran horizontal. I was bucking it up as I went and dropped the trunk on my foot. I took off my boot and stuck my foot in the snow. Lucky me.

I was cutting a hickory tree with a split trunk one trunk ran horizontal. I was bucking it up as I went and dropped the trunk on my foot. I took off my boot and stuck my foot in the snow. Lucky me.
I don't think there is any region in the human body (ok.. maybe 1 lol) that hurts more than your toes when you injure them.

Which leads me to my "injury story".

The wife is a bit of a pack rat and likes to bring home stuff that her friends are getting rid of. One day she brought home an upright vacuum that didn't work and I told her "that's enough - put it by the curb for the garbage man". Now of course, what I "say" and what she "does" don't always go hand in glove, so needless to say, the junk vacuum didn't go to the curb. Instead, it sat in various places throughout the house. (I would complain, and she would reposition lol). One day I wasn't paying too much attention and I wacked my middle toe on that stupid thing and broke my toe!

Well..........

For a couple seconds I just hopped and swore as my toe throbbed, then I grabbed that meandering pile of "hazardous" junk and fired it out the front door into the front yard.

Wifey made sure it made it from the lawn to the curb on the next garbage day.

True story!!

Latest posts

Back