chainsaws vs. guns

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

would you rather

• Total voters
It’s ok that you got a flat shooter you’re comfortable hunting with, that’s probably the way I would go too but I don’t hunt much mostly target shoot.
Like you said long range target shooting is a different ballgame. It’s all good.

Yes, it's all good and we all have to stick together.

I love both.

if you made me choose, I'd say "I'll keep me guns".

then I'd shoot you and keep the saws too.

Cant answer this poll, my answer is keep both.
They (the EPA, CARB) are doing the same thing to motorcycles, especially off road, that they are doing to saws. Getting around them and making my Honda 450X run right is as satisfying as ripping off the limiters on my Huskys and modding the mufflers. Only wish I has the experience to port them, but maybe one day....
And Barack Hussien Obama has done the country a service, (yes hard to believe...) because of him we are more well armed then we were under Bush. The ammo dealers have become rich, ammo and primers are hard to find and pay for, but we have guns, and its good thing.

No, not personally. However, I did order one for my hunting buddy when I still had my FFL. It was a Sako and was a really sweet shooter. I witnessed him take a couple moose over a few seasons with it. As you probably know, a moose usually doesn't know he's really dead, for a while after it happens. Both these big bulls dropped like a stone. One of them was just about ready to mount a cow, excited as all get out. I figured it would take a pound of lead to bring him down in that state. However, I was wrong. Kind of sad and funny at the same time. I might have waited until the bull finished his business but, that's me. Although, the cow gave us a pretty dirty look and hung around to see if he'd get up and still give her some!
Personally, for a heavy hitter, I prefer the .378WBY. I'm really fond of the .375 bore. On several safaris I've been nicknamed the butcher in the regional native tongue. I've never needed more than one shot and the animals rarely take a step. This is true on animals that are notoriously hard to bring down, like Eland. It certainly isn't a meat shooters gun and ruins very large amounts of what would have been good eating. Ergo the butcher moniker.
Several have mentioned that these types of rifle aren't no .50. True, but try lugging a .50 around all day in heavy brush or up and down mountains. Also, in my opinion, stationary long rang sniping of game animals is not exactly sporting.

Thanks for the insight! I'd love to do some safari style hunting but would want to use a very heavy hitter like you. For now I will have to stick with shooting deer and yotes out of a tree stand and the ground.:D

The coefficient of the 338 is high meaning it flies through the air good. The bullet weight is heavy (250 grains) which is good because it shoots a flatter trajectory… in fact the elevation of a .338 250 gr is nearly the same as a 50 BMG 750 gr bullet at one thousand yards. :jawdrop:
Also, a heavier bullet is affected less by wind conditions.
The impact velocity at 1000 yards is excellent on the 338 (about 1640 fps). Ideally you want the point of impact velocity to be higher than the speed of sound because at that speed the bullet becomes unstable.

Those are the main reasons that turned me off from .50bmg, the .338LM is just a much more accurate round. Given it doesn't wreck anything in its path like the .50 but I'm not taking out buildings and sewer covers either.:D If $$ wasn't a problem, I'd have both.:( I'm going to own a .338 one day.:rock: A few months back I could get the MLR and a Lupy Mark 4 4.5-14X50 for $1750. I didn't think that was too bad to start out with shooting long range targets. All of my shooting buds said to start with a .308 but I'm looking at spending just as much $$$, rounds would be cheaper though.:laugh:

You are correct on most counts. However, it's all great on paper. A shooter who knows where his rifle shoots, is far more effective than one that thinks he can shoot where he/she believes he can. That only comes with experience. In effect, someone that can shoot a 30-30 accurately can absolutely out shoot the guy with the monumental ego.
The only reason a bullet becomes unstable in your scenario, is from the transition from sonic to sub-sonic and has minimal affect in hunting situations. Long range target shooting is another thing.
Since most seem to be talking about filling the pot, these points are mostly moot. I've hunted all over the world, the most trophy animals I've seen taken have been with the 30-06. A true magnum by yesterdays standards.
Basically, if you have a big stick and don't know how to use it, it don't mean squat. If you do, more power to you. The proof is in the pudding and figures on paper are just that. Stated here earlier, a guy with an old school silhouette BP gun that can hit his target is far more effective than a guy with his wiz-bomb magnum that can't.

Spot on! I've got lots of fancy shooters, but the 30-30 has brought home more bounty than any. It just works. It is not always the "accuracy" of the firearm that counts, but the interaction of the shooter and his rifle.

I'll bet the 30-30 has harvested more White Tailed Deer than any other round and the 30-06 is the world King of big game hunting. It is fun to bench race rounds & rifles though.:cheers:

maybe not a 338 Lapua but ............................

the 340 Weatherby Mag was always a nice efficient round.

I think my next purchase will be a 6mm Benchrest for coyotes.

I went the other route.

...... but I don’t hunt much mostly target shoot.
Like you said long range target shooting is a different ballgame. It’s all good.

I pretty much put away all my target shooting and now mostly hunt.
I love to hunt, live in the bush and camp for the fall months.
my biggest problem is "Work" keeps calling.. well for 8.4 years yet..

I"m now interested in the close range thump guns.

a Big Bore Single, or Double is right up my alley.

I've got a 500BPE hammered double, Cogswell and Harrison, that I think I want to recycle into something else.

ever heard of MadDog Muzzleloaders?

In Canada...

.... the 30-30 has brought home more bounty than any. It just works.
I'll bet the 30-30 has harvested more White Tailed Deer than any other round

it is rumoured that the 30-30 has killed more moose than all other calibers combined.

as for deer? I'm sure they quit counting years ago....

no not really....

Yes Really...........

Actually, no. .

You don't know what your talking about. Have you ever shot in competition?

You should go ahead and claim that your gramps has a Chevy deuce in the garage that will do 4's in the quarter mile, or that your dad knocked out Mike Tyson in a street fight.

You might be able to pass that BS down at your local watering hole, but it ain't gonna fly here.

You don't know what your talking about. Have you ever shot in competition?

You should go ahead and claim that your gramps has a Chevy deuce in the garage that will do 4's in the quarter mile, or that your dad knocked out Mike Tyson in a street fight.

You might be able to pass that BS down at your local watering hole, but it ain't gonna fly here.

I know absolutely nothing about competitave shooting, nothing. I do know that I have been awed many times by my dad & his dad. My dad was drafted into the Marine Corps & ranked somthing like #1 out of several platunes, they offered to send him to sniper school from boot camp but he was not interested.
You are making me feel like a dope here so Im just gonna shut up. Its obvious that my kin arent capable of shooting like I stated previously, Only the Big time Competition shooters can shoot like that, only the Big time shotters have guns with 1000.00s of $ into them . . .

I pretty much put away all my target shooting and now mostly hunt.
I love to hunt, live in the bush and camp for the fall months.
my biggest problem is "Work" keeps calling.. well for 8.4 years yet..

I"m now interested in the close range thump guns.

a Big Bore Single, or Double is right up my alley.

I've got a 500BPE hammered double, Cogswell and Harrison, that I think I want to recycle into something else.

ever heard of MadDog Muzzleloaders?
Nope, Got a pic, I love smokepoles. I'll go look it them up on the web.

Bad Bull... NOT MadDog.

Nope, Got a pic, I love smokepoles. I'll go look it them up on the web.

Guess I had dogs on my mind as the coyotes have been Kiyiying like crazy this winter....

Bad Bull. 275gr at 3100fps... quite the Muzzleloader... hardly primitive.

My dad was drafted into the Marine Corps & ranked somthing like #1 out of several platunes, they offered to send him to sniper school from boot camp but he was not interested.

I hate to break it to you but it doesn't work like that. Noone gets offered a chance to go to sniper school right out of boot camp for one simple reason, YOU DONT KNOW ANYTHING! It takes a few years minimum as an infantryman to develop the basic skills needed to excel as a sniper.

You are making me feel like a dope here so Im just gonna shut up.

I think that would be best...for all of us.

I hate to break it to you but it doesn't work like that. Noone gets offered a chance to go to sniper school right out of boot camp for one simple reason, YOU DONT KNOW ANYTHING! It takes a few years minimum as an infantryman to develop the basic skills needed to excel as a sniper.

I think that would be best...for all of us.

Is there really any reason to add insult to injury here?

Back