"Champion" saw in Canada

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like an earthquake saw. I made a post about it a little while ago too.

It is going to be a **** show when Canadian tire starts sending us customers for these p.o.s
I don't regard them as POS necessarily. The G5000 and G3800 were good designs, and the Chinese are capable of making them in decent quality IF the importer is willing to pay for that. They may come with cat mufflers (don't know the CA emissions requirements), but if so that is no different than many Echo and Dolmar products.

These clones are likely the highest volume production saws in the world.

I don't regard them as POS necessarily. The G5000 and G3800 were good designs, and the Chinese are capable of making them in decent quality IF the importer is willing to pay for that. They may come with cat mufflers (don't know the CA emissions requirements), but if so that is no different than many Echo and Dolmar products.

These clones are likely the highest volume production saws in the world.

With no parts support and no dealer network these are totally POS. Canadian tire has this habit of sending irate customers to my shop only to be told there is nothing that can be done. Home Depot. Lowes also do the same thing as they do not service anything they sell

With no parts support and no dealer network these are totally POS. Canadian tire has this habit of sending irate customers to my shop only to be told there is nothing that can be done. Home Depot. Lowes also do the same thing as they do not service anything they sell
Yet as I wrote, there are tons of these being produced along with parts for them. You can buy just about any part for them on eBay, and I'm sure from other sources - probably some of the guys here who sell Am parts could access those supply chains pretty easily.

It's something I have looked into to get parts for my older RedMax saws and for the clones I have.

Yet as I wrote, there are tons of these being produced along with parts for them. You can buy just about any part for them on eBay, and I'm sure from other sources - probably some of the guys here who sell Am parts could access those supply chains pretty easily.

It's something I have looked into to get parts for my older RedMax saws and for the clones I have.

I am talking about warranty repairs, IPL's, OEM parts.... Also I doubt a customer would be happy having to wait weeks if not months for a part. This is the main reason Stihl sells so well here. Parts in a day and dealers all over the place.

I am talking about warranty repairs, IPL's, OEM parts.... Also I doubt a customer would be happy having to wait weeks if not months for a part. This is the main reason Stihl sells so well here. Parts in a day and dealers all over the place.
I doubt those things have a warranty as such, maybe just return for a limited time. If such things are important to you then a name brand is your best bet, but of course you'll pay a lot more.

Still, whether there is a warranty has little bearing on whether the saw is a POS or not, which was the original thing I responded to. I seriously doubt you'll twist the con rod into a pretzel on that 41cc saw, or melt the case by leaving the brake on at high idle for 30sec, or pull the bar studs out of the plastic housing (since it's metal), etc. So - is the need for a warranty an indication that the saw is a POS, or the opposite? :confused:

No it isn't. with these saws there is no such thing as an oem part and the parts network is ample if someone is willing to buy online. I've used aliexpress.com which supplies millions of parts for these saws.

If you want to tinker on your own saw, fine. If you want to help your buddy with his saw, fine. If you have a small business to take care of your family, they are a POS

If you want to tinker on your own saw, fine. If you want to help your buddy with his saw, fine. If you have a small business to take care of your family, they are a POS
You really think these were intended for pros to use supporting their families? How about an MS211 - would that be a good choice for such duty?

Like the others, I'm talking about people bringing them to us to work on.
Why is that a problem? I'm asking seriously. If you can't make money repairing it then wouldn't you refuse the job? I can't see how you would be under any obligation to fix a no-name saw from some box store you have no connection to.

Why is that a problem? I'm asking seriously. If you can't make money repairing it then wouldn't you refuse the job? I can't see how you would be under any obligation to fix a no-name saw from some box store you have no connection to.

I think you are missing the issue here. These people are sent to my shop so they do not cause a scene in the big box store. They are not helping these people. The bin in the back is overflowing at times with the big box stores finest offerings. It does afford me the chance to sell them a proper piece of kit. But in the end it is the customer that suffers. But as you said there is always ebay... :D

Not sure if it is the same company as the generators by the same name but if it is there are servicing dealers for the champion brand, they do warranty work and source parts, same with the Tanaka saws which I am mentioning because the two seem to go hand in hand at those dealers. Have zero experience with those dealers myself however have been told they are like any other.

I've had experience with these big box store specials.
Customer buys a chainsaw, lawnmower, brushcutter or whatever. It starts having problems so he takes it to the big box store he bought it from, thinking "It was so cheap they'll just give me another one".
Wrong.
A big box store employee who'd rather be anywhere else than at the "returns and warranty" desk will take said piece of power equipment and say they need to "send it over to the repair center". Turnaround time is always given as "two weeks".
Two weeks pass and no news, so the customer heads down to the store to have news. He's told the repair center hasn't called back.
Usually a couple more such visits are needed before the employee calls over his superindendant who invariably says "There's been a mishap at the repair center, so we are giving you a new one right away".

So why don't they give you a new one right away? I have no idea. May be they have to maintain the fiction a "repair center" for chainsaws which cost them €50 or less exist. Or may be it's all kabuki for the rubes.

Back