Chance to snag a Stihl 090G

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triggered

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First post here on the forums, have been a bit of a lurker though.

Traveling this week to inspect some logging equipment and found a 090G red top that is for sale along the way and figured I might bring it home if the price is right.

Looks like a pretty clean saw from the few photos I have seen; about the only notable flaw is the top cover has a corner chip missing on the right side by the cylinder fins. Otherwise looks to be complete and not missing any pieces - doesn't look totally thrashed, but need to check in person.

Owner claims its a runner but needs a tune and a little TLC to get it dialed in; 1/2 with no bar or chain.

He's currently asking $900, but I'd like to get him down some more on price. Would have to mail it home too, I don't think TSA would like me bringing it through for a plane ride.

My understanding is the G model is fairly collectable, however, parts can be quite scarce compared to a regular 090. I would like to convert the saw to .404 for bar and chain availability if possible instead of the 1/2; what components would I specifically need to do this and what would an estimated cost be? I would only really need a 30 or 36" (max) bar and chain at the moment.

I've done a fair share of reading on the 070 / 090 and would love to pick up an original if given the chance, and this one doesn't appear to be a total basket case, so I figured why not? If I could get it for around $700 or so I figured it would be worth that as a parts saw if it pooped out on me.

Thanks guys

First post here on the forums, have been a bit of a lurker though.

Traveling this week to inspect some logging equipment and found a 090G red top that is for sale along the way and figured I might bring it home if the price is right.

Have you already checked it out and made your decision? Any updates?

He's currently asking $900, but I'd like to get him down some more on price. Would have to mail it home too, I don't think TSA would like me bringing it through for a plane ride.

Any 090G in running condition with the small amount of damage you described is worth $900 all day; frankly more. If you can get it for less, outstanding, but $900 is a great buy if it's in the condition described.

My understanding is the G model is fairly collectable, however, parts can be quite scarce compared to a regular 090. I would like to convert the saw to .404 for bar and chain availability if possible instead of the 1/2; what components would I specifically need to do this and what would an estimated cost be?

Correct, 090G specific parts are all NLA from the dealer and can be quite difficult to find available for purchase. In order to convert it to .404 you just need to find a .404 sprocket. They're out there, but can be tough to find somebody willing to sell one. Keep an eye out on ebay; they pop up every now and then. Outliers always happen, but NOS .404 sprockets usually bring around $75. That said, the 1/2" sprockets are more difficult to find than the .404. You might have better luck trading the 1/2 (if it's in good condition) on the saw for a .404 than trying to buy a .404 outright. I have .404 sprockets and would be willing to discuss a trade for a 1/2.

No significant update...the trip fell apart at the last second and I didn't get to inspect the saw. The seller was not available during the time of day when I was coming through anyway...

I did contact the seller and it is a direct gear drive, not the chain drive version...at least that is what he recalls.

Spotted a .404 sprocket on Sleezbay for about $75 or so, but I also came across a gentleman who made a batch of rim sprockets (can run any pitch chain/bar) for the G series but they're around 200 if I recall right.

Might see if the seller would be willing to ship, after a video of it running hopefully.

I'm on the fence about it.

I'm more keen on a red top than an orange G, so might be a good chance to grab a decent one. Haven't seen many reds and if I wanted an orange I would probably go regular 090 to avoid splitting hairs. I was originally after a 070, but close enough right?

I reckon it'd be a good saw to grab while I can, otherwise I would love a Contra. Somebody beat me this week on a Remington 754G for $30 so I'm needing a pick me up haha

But for the same money, a new 462 would be an actual money maker in my world.

Back