Changing fuel filter in stihl's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazard

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I want to change the fuel filter in my stihl 044 and 066. I have had these saws for a long while and never knew there was a fuel filter to change. I did a search and did not find any good info on procedure. I imagine it isn't to hard but was wondering if I could get some help to get me started.

Thanks
Chris

Not too tough

I don't want to sound too condescending, but, you didn't know that your saws had fuel filters?

Changing them out is easy. Head over to your dealer and get the replacements for both. Should only be a few bucks each. Take the fuel cap off, and grab a piece of wire. Something like a scrap of house wiring will do, 12 or 14 gauge. Strip the insulation off, so it doesn't react to the fuel. You will need about an eight inch piece. Bend the last inch or two into a hook shape. Shove this hook into the tank and use it to catch the fuel line. Pull it towards the cap opening until you can grab the filter. If your saws use a clip on the line, you will need to take it off. Hold the hose in one hand, and pull the filter out. The barb on its' stem will make it a little tough. Put the new filter in its' place on the hose, and shove the whole mess back into the tank. The last Stihl I worked on had alomst zero slack in the line, so it may be a bit tight for working room.

Yeah I know. Beat me with a rubber hose.

After being at this site I feel like I have been abusing my saws for years even though I have never had trouble with them.

Thanks for the help.
Chris

It happens

Don't feel bad, I fixed up an 036 that a friend bought used. When he brought it to my house, he didn't know that the chain was on backwards, or that the chainbrake would make the chain hard to move.
I try to keep a spare fuel filter on hand to fit each of my saws (luckily they overlap in size). It is cheap insurance when one starts to run bad while working.

From now on I will keep a spare.

I had a friend who I consider very mechanically inclined not realize that his homelite had an air filter. He had the saw 10+ yrs and it started to bog down during cutting pretty much anything. One day he tore the saw down and realized the air filter which was packed with dust. He put on a new filter and presto he basically had a new saw.

Chris

From now on I will keep a spare.

I had a friend who I consider very mechanically inclined not realize that his homelite had an air filter. He had the saw 10+ yrs and it started to bog down during cutting pretty much anything. One day he tore the saw down and realized the air filter which was packed with dust. He put on a new filter and presto he basically had a new saw.
Chris
10+ years without cleaning the air filter and then doing so, I doubt that he had a like new saw. Tell him to pull the muffler and take a look see at the PC and hope for the best. Them old Homies are tough, but they need fresh clean air.

Last edited:
The air filter laugh happened like 6 yrs ago. I don't remember what he did with the saw. All I remember about it is that I was on the floor laughing when he told me.

Chris

Latest posts

Back