Chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnichols

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying some chaps. I've never owned or worn any, and was wondering what you fella's are using. I've looked at both Labonville and Elvex.

I am still using a set I bought from Bailey's in 1988. Back then the choices were not as great as today. On the chainsaw forum the Labonville's are very highly spoken of but I have no experience with them.

Last edited:
I have a few pairs of the Stihl ones you can pick up at the dealer. After an accident with a saw in 1991 I have been wearing them. I see tons of people skip this item and I wish I could tell them what my doctor bill cost..it would easily have funded a new saw and then some. I didnt have health insurance back then.

I am pleased with the Stihl ones. They are not the full coverage style and I keep them at the farm so anyone that needs to use one of the saws has access to chaps also. I also keep a personal pair in my truck tool box adjusted for me personally.

I have also found another use for them..the orange ones make for great brush pants in the woods nothing gets through them and they are very visible!

I tell ya I have 2 pair. I have 2 sets of Husqvarna. Both are Pro Forest Logger Wrap Chaps. One pair is 1,000 denier. The other is 600.
I use the 1,000 denier in winter or where there is going to be a lot of briars and ruff stuff. The 600 denier I like using in the summer time. Actually the 600 denier I have are green and are Jonsered's. Now, the pro forest logger wrap chaps are the best that Husqvarna/Jonsered offer. I would suggest you go with the pro forest. I like them an awful lot. That is if you go with Husqvarna Jonsered. I hear the Labonville chaps are really nice as well.
So, the more denier like 1,000 are pretty heavy and will burn your azz up in the summer. The 600 are lighter but will not guard as well in the bush as the 1,000 will. Hope this helps.:computer:

I have Husky pants , bibs and chaps that are all chainsaw protective as well as Labonville. Most of the major manufacturers make a decent product. Whatever you get, consider getting some that are full wrap. The full wrap gives that extra level of protection in case the saw grabs the bottom and spins it around. The pants are nice in the winter, a little uncomfortable in summer. Cut Safe!!!

I've got the Labonville full wraps here - no complaints whatsoever. I can't comment on the rest as I've not tried them.

Any chaps out there are better than nothing. I got a bit of grief from friends when I started wearing em, but now a couple of them have seen the light and have their own. I haven't "used" mine, and hope not to, but it's good to know they're there just in case something goes wrong.

I have Husky pants , bibs and chaps that are all chainsaw protective as well as Labonville. Most of the major manufacturers make a decent product. Whatever you get, consider getting some that are full wrap. The full wrap gives that extra level of protection in case the saw grabs the bottom and spins it around. The pants are nice in the winter, a little uncomfortable in summer. Cut Safe!!!

I agree. thats what i told him too. I feel its worth the xtra dough.

I've got the Labonville full wraps here - no complaints whatsoever. I can't comment on the rest as I've not tried them.

Any chaps out there are better than nothing. I got a bit of grief from friends when I started wearing em, but now a couple of them have seen the light and have their own. I haven't "used" mine, and hope not to, but it's good to know they're there just in case something goes wrong.

Isnt it crazy when that happens. I tell ya i wear mine and wear em proud too. Id dang well rather have my wheels than their approval or whatever....
I also wear a hard hat when im fellin a tree that has dead limbs (widow makers ) in them. The way I see it, is Ive got a little baby girl and I owe it to her to be around for her. I wanna be around for her. ya know what i mean?..........

Thanks for the advice fellas. I don't care if folks poke fun once I get a set. It's my legs not theirs.

I use Labonville's summer and winter pants with the "chap" insert. I just swap the insert for the season. I am either climbing or on the ground with the saw a lot so the pants make it much more comfortable and I feel a bit safer in them than without.

Labonville here. Remember that when you size them they measure from the top of the belt to the bottom of the chap. (not the inseam of your pants). They are one of the few things I own that I hope never gets used kind of like a smoke detector or life my insurance.

Been running saws for a lot of years without incident, just lucky.
I bought a pair of chaps last year, and wear them every time I fire up the saw to cut.
As you get older, I think you also get smarter.

Labonville Full Wraps-- also sold by Baileys.

Warning for you babes out there: the Labonv chaps are hot if you have to cut in warm weather. We tend to wear nothing under them in summer. The 2-cycle keeps the bugs off :heart:

Labonville for me too. I also have a pair of Stihl's that my sons use when they help me cut. I was felling a big old Shag Bark Hickory widow maker about a year ago and it twisted and I moved in a direction that I really had not planned to go. Luckily I had the chaps on. The chain just barely nicked the outer layer of the chaps, with no damage to me or the chaps. Had I not been wearing the chaps, due to the extra bulk of the material, I probably never would have even known that the moving chain was that close. However, it was and I am a believer in the importance of PPE and very thankful I was wearing the chaps.

I also wear safety toe boots, hard hat with ear protection and full face screen with safety glasses.

And better yet----- Labonville has a Black Friday Sale that is 20% off!!!! Go for it!

Latest posts

Back