Chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a pair of the Jonsered protective pants, but prefer the chaps for the cutting I do. My regular work pants are more comfortable and I can wash them without worrying about degrading the fabric. I can also take the chaps off if I am doing something besides cutting.

Philbert

I own three pair. If you are going to run one of my saws, you put a pair on. Don't really care if you have run saws for 50 years and never wore a pair. I'll take the time to go get them and fit them to you. If you refuse, its not a problem, you just don't use my saw.

Not reading through 11 pages but to answer the OP...yes. I knocked my boot once.....bought chaps that day. I know chaps don't protect boots but puts me in the mindset.

I then didn't wear them upon working on a saw and just tuning it. Had a brand new Oregon rim snap first time I fired up a ported 288 and a 105dl loop tagged my jeans.

Chaps...every time.

I own three pair. If you are going to run one of my saws, you put a pair on. Don't really care if you have run saws for 50 years and never wore a pair. I'll take the time to go get them and fit them to you. If you refuse, its not a problem, you just don't use my saw.
Now there is a smart man.

Been running a saw for 35 years, mostly for clearing fences and cleaning up after a tree falls in a field. never even heard of chaps. I've had a few close calls, but never hurt. But now that we heat with wood (3rd winter coming up) and all that I've read on here, I'll be getting some this fall. Mother in Law gave me an Amazon card for my 50th bday., Chaps would be a nice gift to spend it on. Already go them picked out, will be getting them after I am healed up from surgery and the doc says I can go play lumberjack again.

I've read a lot of the thread so far and just wanted to post up my way of thinking.
Being someone that works in a different environment for safety . I was trained in OHS because I was on the Johs committee (joint occupational health and safety). There are a lot of different hazards in a welding shop compared to being out in the woods, but the principal is still the same.
Most accidents happen from either a young, inexperienced person ( not properly trained) or someone that's been doing it for 20-35 years (complacency). ITs very easy to make a mistake when you've done something for so long. You start skipping steps and just become complacent to the job at hand.
There's 5 hazard controls that employers and employees follow for safety hazards. I won't list them as I'm trying not to be a safety nazi here haha. But PPE is the LAST line of defence for anyone. Which makes sense. If you have done everything to make your job safe (( I'll make it about the chainsaw world) ie. Made sure chain brake worked, chain is sharp, other engineered safe guards on the saw were in good working order, ergonomically the job was in a position that is safest etc etc.) technically you wouldn't need PPE. But why not wear it just to make sure?

Of course I'm a hypocrite and should practise what I preach. I usually wear all my PPE at work but find I have a hard time wearing respirators while welding. My goal is to wear it more as I definitely weld a lot of dirty stuff. Also I know the fact of "get 'er done". Sometimes you can't make everything as safe as possible by trying to do a quick job.

All I really want to say is everybody be safe anyway you can and happy cutting :)

Sorry for going off on a tangent haha. Also I should mention there are hazards you can't eliminate. Like noise. I think hearing damage takes place over 80 dbs for an 8 hour day. So if you don't want hearing damage you should wear hearing protection.

I've been off work for a month (on parental leave) so I'm kinda missing the work environment hahaha sorry for safety speach

About ten years ago I was working with a friend who didn't wear chaps. Good faller, careful, and very experienced. I felt comfortable working around him . If we were both working on the edge of our strips I never had to worry about him doing something stupid and sending one sideways at me. I trusted him and the "trust list" is a very short one.

Most of us didn't wear chaps. There was a new rule in the works that we'd be required to wear them and we were dragging our feet as long as we could. My friend said that he'd never wear chaps and that he'd quit the outfit and go gypo so he wouldn't have to. A lot of us felt that way.

We'll never know for sure what happened but it looks like my friend was walking a log with his tape stretched out and a limb under tension knocked the saw back into his left leg between the knee and the hip and almost severed the leg.
We'll never know for sure because he couldn't tell us...he bled out and died before any of us could get to him.

You guys that don't want to wear chaps are perfectly within your rights. It's your body and it's your choice. I never try to get between a man and his ignorance.

I wear chaps and anybody running a saw for me will wear them. I don't like packing people out of the woods.

Latest posts

Back