Chainsaw Chaps/Pants

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have stihl wrap chaps and forester wrap chaps. I prefer the foresters.

The foresters have more size choices ( I was able to get longer ones) and appear to be made of more durable materials. Zippers, buckles, straps, belt all seem about the same. Quality of construction appears similar. And they were quite a bit cheaper.

labonville...stihl before that. The stihl chaps did their job. Was pulling out from the back cut on an old elm that started to fall and the 660 36"bar touched the top side of my thigh on deceleration when leaving the drop zone.
I did a similar descending throttle thing while limbing in my stihls. Freaked me out to the core!! I'd never touched myself with my saw in over 40 years. Caught just above my left knee and stopped the chain dead. I'm glad I had my chaps on, because I was a little lax on that at times. No more. I would have destroyed the ligaments above my kneecap. And who knows what else. :oops::oops:

I ordered the forester ones online the next day. And some protective chainsaw gloves too.

everyone?

never used them, never will
Why not? That's like saying you never use a seatbelt or safety glasses.

I have a set of Husky chaps.

Can't say I put them on every time I fire up a saw, but if I'm going to be making more than a couple cuts, on they go. If I'm going to be on uneven footing, even for one cut, on they go. Great for padding while kneeling down making low cuts as well. Protects the legs and keeps wood chips out of my shoes during summer when wearing shorts. I need to see if they have an expiration date, might be due for replacement.

I used a set of Oregon caps for years ,because they were fire resistant and I could take a pizz easily in the woods with them. Alot of my coworkers would flip the saw around to carry it and immediately burn a hole in their brand new chaps!
I just got a pair of Forester pants though, to early to tell but for 130.00 they are pretty nice .

I use Husqvarna chaps. They are great though I haven’t hit them with the saw in real world testing. I am suer they would work. They are heavy duty and comfortable to wear.

Wrangler Star did a video a few years back. I don't remember which one he concluded had the best protection.

I have a pair of Labonville Extreme competition safety wrap chaps and an old pair of Jonesred chaps.
The Jonesered chaps are always on the tractor.
I use the Labonvilles when I use my bigger saws.

The hardest part of chaps is finding good suspenders, anyone have good recommendations? I got the cheap Husky suspenders from Amazon with the stamped clips but they keep coming undone.
Duluth trading company , for suspenders. I generally get 2-3 years out of them.

Labonville chaps, and some type of chainsaw trousers that I thought were USA but not. I prefer the way the trousers fit, and they feel better on. Might be hot in the summer, so go to chaps then. I looked for Labonville trousers but I don’t think they make them.

i dont and wont wear them, they are trip hazards. maybe a climber in a tree should wear them, but when your working through brush or corn stubble fields. they are a sure way to cause a injury. you get snagged, hung up and fall on a saw. if you throw a chain, that is what your chain catcher is for.

I've got a set of Husqvarna chaps that I'll put on if I'm running my big saw, doing a lot of felling. A big saw being a 395 with a 3 foot bar. I find myself getting fatigued after a bit and I start making mistakes. They've got nice pockets for wedges and stuff. I over heat wearing them pretty quick. Other than that I don't wear them. I can see how they can save you but I'm not ever going to be an online safety social justice warrior, criticizing those who don't wear them.

I wore Husky chaps for years. Gave them up for Husky 4000 RPM pants. The pants are a big improvement: safer, easier to walk around in, easier to put on, cooler in summer, warmer in winter, keep the chips out of the tops of my Viking winter faller's boots. They have zippered openings on the back to allow breathing. The pair I have fit me perfectly. They would probably stay up without the (button-on) suspenders. They also have belt loops for those who prefer.
https://www.husqvarna.com/ca-en/work-wear/technical-chainsaw-pant/

Latest posts

Back