Chainsaw meets jeans

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, I started hauling hay at 14, and even worse, I was the owner's grandson. I worked my ass off to earn that crews respect... I didn't want to be known as the bosses grandson, I wanted to be respected as Jeff, and by the end of the summer I was. Took everything they could throw at me, and handed it back. One of the best compliments I ever got was when the ranch foreman asked me if I would be back next season.

You know, I started hauling hay at 14, and even worse, I was the owner's grandson. I worked my ass off to earn that crews respect... I didn't want to be known as the bosses grandson, I wanted to be respected as Jeff, and by the end of the summer I was. Took everything they could throw at me, and handed it back. One of the best compliments I ever got was when the ranch foreman asked me if I would be back next season.
Took me a bit later than you, but that came for me around 16. Helped a crew of older guys clearing trails and cutting firewood for a Boy Scout camp in East Texas, did all the maintenance to every saw. I felt honored when the boss asked if I was coming back next year. Been doing that for 2 years now and it’s the best thing that happened to me

I checked our member activity: we have about 180 members active at the moment, with about 3800 "Guests" in the last hour. The "Other" forum is sitting at 25 members and 500 guests.

I guess with more traffic comes more controversy.

EDIT: Something I never realized was how many "Robots" we have searching our domain. We currently have about 1300 connections running with Google, Yandex, Bing, and a whole lot of other search engine robots.

to be fair, I was almost exactly him once, not too long ago, and look at me now

but, I will agree on all mentions of needing thicker skin, I've learned rather recently it cost NOTHING to just shut the phone off for a few hours and ignore people
also he needs to not change his mind on what direction he's going, I think right now he's on lawncare, firewood, chainsaw carving, ebay saw shop, and maybe a few other things?

I think he just wants to be a YouTube sensation
probably

believe it or not, I too have a channel, but I don't push it, if you find it thats cool, but for the love of god don't post it 5 times a day to a forum where hundreds of thousands of people will have to scroll past it

Glad I can selectively wear mine as in not in the rain or wet snow. being a hobby cutter allows me to be discretionary and back when I did it for a living, I was young and dumb and never wore any PPE at all. Guess I was somewhat lucky in that respect but I do have some nice scars on my left leg to prove my stupidity...
Some of us are old enuf that our young/ stupid precedes OSHA; we (or our deceased friends/ coworkers may have been the Inspiration for OSHA wording.

you mean the worlds slowest splitter operator? I sat and watched for an hour straight and didn't see a single piece of wood being split!

they didnt even let the triple L lady run the 881 for crying out loud! let her pose for a picture and thats it!View attachment 1151321

and don't get me started with chickanic, she doesnt seem to know a whole lot about engines and her face also isnt helping any
I clicked on the picture "for science." Even in that screen grab you can see the goddam chain is on backwards. So I tuned in the video, again "for science." Sure as hell, chain is on backwards. And the grand wizard running the show actually started the saw and put it in wood like that, these guys are true gurus of all things chainsaw and milling related. I see there have been 33 million views, that's 33 million people witness to their prowess at all things chainsaw! At $.018 per view, they made just under a half million dollars with that video alone. I'm definitely doing something wrong, think I'll go out and flip all my chains around backwards!

You're a real ****. The kid is doing something positive and also demonstrating good use of a tool as opposed to sitting on the couch with video games.
You’re wrong, You must have missed his original crap bs he posted here non stop. I’m surprised he didn’t make videos of him brushing his teeth…

You forgot to say it was a kids instructional video.

I was taught how to use a saw properly and have never wore chaps.

Yeah, that was 2:12, that I will never get back,
And Captain Obvious, doin what he does

But chaps are still a Good Idea.
I had been running saws for over 40 years when this Happened.
IMG_1132.jpegIMG_1133.jpeg

I was “Taught to run a saw Safely “ too.
I was cutting on a hillside, turns out my footing wasn’t as solid as I thought.

Fortunately, didn’t touch skin, but 8 miles up a forest circus road, with the truck and trailer facing the wrong way, and probably another 5 miles after reaching the highway, before getting cell service. It could have ended Very Badly for Husky Man.

That experience changed how I do a couple things, yep, I bought and WEAR chaps, and I am more aware of how the truck and trailer are positioned. The Wife can drag a trailer down the road just fine, she doesn’t have any trouble with the 5 speed manual transmission in the truck, but for her turning around a crewcab long bed, with a 6x12 tandem axle trailer on a forest circus road, well that would be a challenge, that would cost time, that we just may not have

Nope, Chaps ain’t the most comfortable apparel, but compared to the potential consequences, I am now a believer

And I wear a Life preserver in the boat as well, and I have spent my entire life around boats, and on the water.
There’s good reasons for some things, chaps and life preservers are on that list for a reason, They WORK, and they often make the difference between Life and Death.

IMG_0131.jpeg

IMG_0088.jpeg
IMG_0074.jpeg
IMG_0497.jpeg
My Mother in Law is only 5’4”, and 83 years old, and TERRIFIES me, ain’t no way that I am going to be the one telling her that one of her Grandkids didn’t come home, everyone wears a life preserver, or the boat doesn’t leave the dock

Doug 😎

You’re wrong, You must have missed his original crap bs he posted here non stop. I’m surprised he didn’t make videos of him brushing his teeth…
You're supposedly an adult. Give the kid a break and encourage him in positive directions. If you're such a tough guy, how about challenge another adult?

You're supposedly an adult. Give the kid a break and encourage him in positive directions. If you're such a tough guy, how about challenge another adult?
You’re a loser and I challenge you. I’m a beefy Adult male, Are you ready for that??? You’re still 110% wrong about this little boy that no longer a member here.

You’re a loser and I challenge you. I’m a beefy Adult male, Are you ready for that??? You’re still 110% wrong about this little boy that no longer a member here.
Got it. You're a bear, eh, tough guy? I know you know what that means.

you mean the worlds slowest splitter operator? I sat and watched for an hour straight and didn't see a single piece of wood being split!

they didnt even let the triple L lady run the 881 for crying out loud! let her pose for a picture and thats it!View attachment 1151321

and don't get me started with chickanic, she doesnt seem to know a whole lot about engines and her face also isnt helping any
Who put that saw up on the log for her?

I’m rather doubting that she put it there herself.

IMG_2473.jpeg
This is my 3120XP, with the 60” bar mounted.
The 3120 balances nicely with a 36”, a bit nose heavy but manageable with the 44” mounted, but Dayum, was I surprised at the difference in the 60”, I expected it to be nose heavier than the 44”, but honestly Not that Much, I was truly surprised at the difference.

That’s probably an 880, comparable to a 3120, but looks like that is a 72”, I’ve got a 72” for the 3120, but have never mounted it yet, not terribly disappointed that the opportunity to use it fell through.

I do wish that I had grabbed a 50”, when they were still available, would have been a better fit for the 48” Granberg, than the 44”, but I was still learning about CSM back then

Still learning, just didn’t learn that early enough 😢
GB (Not Granberg) still offers the 50”, in their logo, which doesn’t bother me, but the shipping out of Australia gets a bit spendy 🤑

Doug 😎

Latest posts

Back