Chainsaw meets jeans

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is such a clear sharp photo. What did you use for a camera. That sky reminds me of the Colorado sky when clear.
Samsung Galaxy S23Ultra, and thats like the lowest or second lowest camera quality setting if I recall, I keep it down for file size (if I go higher, I cant upload to most social media due to a 25MB restriction)

Lifting off the side of the house.

My excavator lifts on every point of the compass. Even if you overload it, it's no big deal. A track comes up, the load goes down. It stops tipping when it gets to the ground.

If a bad operator tries hard enough, they can be tipped over in a bad way, but that is uncommon.

If a bad operator tries hard enough, they can be tipped over in a bad way, but that is uncommon.
these are so track heavy, its really, really hard to flip one over

but yeah, track comes up, load goes down, I can usually feel looooong before it tips and work with it, track may get light but i can typically avoid tipping it at all
tips no matter which way its turned! this one lifts a touch over 4000 pounds so its pretty rare I tip it, think it lifts 1200 at MAX side reach, really impressive for not being a whole lot larger than my really small mini skid
1707517409213.png

heres the bad operator you speak of! (warning, he gets hurt) ive operated mine on hills close to but not quite as steep as he's climbing, still not flipped yet, keep the blade behind you is my best advice, and keep it only an inch or two above the ground, it stops tipping the second the blade hits the ground (tip for the noobs)

Yep. Some of y'all just can't swallow your pride and be safe.

There are some of us who are professionally exempted from wearing chaps: Tree climbers are not obliged nor expected to wear chaps. It isn't so much about pride, or safety, just practicality.

Chaps would be a greater danger than doing without to a climber. The risk of getting afoul of the ropes and other climbing gear is far greater than the risk of cutting your legs while climbing. Chainsaw pants... that would probably be practical, although I've never tried any out.

Now take that same individual down out of the tree to finish cutting off the trunk, or perhaps help out the ground crew clearing up the mess he just made. How many climbers do you think walk over to the truck and put on their chaps? I imagine there are a few in places where the rules are strictly enforced.
I've never seen it done, however.

I wear my cloggers on the ground and in the tree, unless im only planning to make one or two cuts that day, or im flying the bucket, too hot to wear saw pants when the day will be more manual labor than saw work!

also once they fill with sweat they are super heavy

There are some of us who are professionally exempted from wearing chaps: Tree climbers are not obliged nor expected to wear chaps. It isn't so much about pride, or safety, just practicality.

Chaps would be a greater danger than doing without to a climber. The risk of getting afoul of the ropes and other climbing gear is far greater than the risk of cutting your legs while climbing. Chainsaw pants... that would probably be practical, although I've never tried any out.

Now take that same individual down out of the tree to finish cutting off the trunk, or perhaps help out the ground crew clearing up the mess he just made. How many climbers do you think walk over to the truck and put on their chaps? I imagine there are a few in places where the rules are strictly enforced.
I had a couple of crews where I made a point of always wearing my chaps on the ground to set an example, just because they made me so nervous with their saw skills, or lack thereof.

I wear my cloggers on the ground and in the tree, unless im only planning to make one or two cuts that day, or im flying the bucket, too hot to wear saw pants when the day will be more manual labor than saw work!

also once they fill with sweat they are super heavy
And they stink. Sort of like being a Hockey Goalie and never washing your uniform because the stink equates to 'experience'....lol

And they stink. Sort of like being a Hockey Goalie and never washing your uniform because the stink equates to 'experience'....lol
lol yup!
especially when the pockets fill with red oak chips, I smell like dog turds and cat piss combined with week old sweat

id wash them more but I can't dry them out in under a day, so I can only wash them on weekends or im working with wet pants the next day which is a no-go

don't get me started working in the rain with saw pants or chaps, like wearing 15 pound ankle weights for the next 2 or 3 days as they dry in the sun

Glad I can selectively wear mine as in not in the rain or wet snow. being a hobby cutter allows me to be discretionary and back when I did it for a living, I was young and dumb and never wore any PPE at all. Guess I was somewhat lucky in that respect but I do have some nice scars on my left leg to prove my stupidity...

I technically am required to wear mine any time im not standing in a tree, even in the bucket I think osha requires them, BUT, doesn't mean I do if im only going to be making one or two cuts, or all polesaw work, ornamental prunes or removing little stuff where its one cut and right to the chipper, but if I gotta run a saw more than a few minutes I put on my saw pants, much as I hate it but I do

only issue I have with clggers is the lack of back pockets, im a creature of habbit and have almost dropped my phone out of a tree so many times reaching for back pockets that arent there lol

Back when I used to climb many moons ago, I always wore chaps in the tree if I was running a saw. I figured, of all the times to get cut, that would have been the worst place. But I was climbing with spurs and a belt, not much gear, just a pass rope and tag line for the saw and to haul crap up when I needed it.

I never cared for the full down wrap around the calf style, I just wear chaps that cover my thighs and about halfway past me knees. They make kneeling a lot more comfortable, you can fold them and sit on them at lunch time, put your hands behind them to warm them up, easier than pockets.

I always said if you're bouncing a saw chain off your leg, chaps are not the cure. But I've seen some highly experienced, professional cutters catch their chaps a few times. 50 years running saw, never cut my leg or my chaps. Still wear them, you never plan to cut yourself but it's not impossible that you will.

Back when I used to climb many moons ago, I always wore chaps in the tree if I was running a saw. I figured, of all the times to get cut, that would have been the worst place. But I was climbing with spurs and a belt, not much gear, just a pass rope and tag line for the saw and to haul crap up when I needed it.

I never cared for the full down wrap around the calf style, I just wear chaps that cover my thighs and about halfway past me knees. They make kneeling a lot more comfortable, you can fold them and sit on them at lunch time, put your hands behind them to warm them up, easier than pockets.

I always said if you're bouncing a saw chain off your leg, chaps are not the cure. But I've seen some highly experienced, professional cutters catch their chaps a few times. 50 years running saw, never cut my leg or my chaps. Still wear them, you never plan to cut yourself but it's not impossible that you will.
I had a saw fly out because the cut closed up, it tore the hell out of a plastic toe guard on my boot. I was afraid to look at it, but I was unscathed, and the boot had a gaping gash! You never know when it will strike it, it happens like lightening.

One pet peeve I always had with climbers was always leaving the saw running... chain brakes fail... my saw was always either cutting or off. The only exception was blocking down stobs, I would cut a block and then make the next cut, hit the brake and push the top block off and then finish the next one, then repeat.

One pet peeve I always had with climbers was always leaving the saw running... chain brakes fail... my saw was always either cutting or off. The only exception was blocking down stobs, I would cut a block and then make the next cut, hit the brake and push the top block off and then finish the next one, then repeat.
same here, I basically never use the chain brake to be honest, id rather the chain turn if I bump into it or a rope snags it, saw off of course

Still wear them, you never plan to cut yourself but it's not impossible that you will.
...and it's always bad, you can take my word for that. Last one I got on my left leg, it took 130 stitches to close it and I still have a heck of a scar to remind me of my stupidity. Even a dull chain can cut you in a second. No in tree stuff anymore but even on the ground with a chainsaw, I wear my chaps, a fellers helmet, ear protection and mesh face shield. I don't wear muffs however, I wear those little booger like hearing plugs. I don't like muffs, never have. The bad luck I seem to have, I got a splinter in my right eye and had to go to ER to get it removed. Not playing Russian Roulette again. I always seem to loose.

Strange how he proclaims to hate the drama, then he makes a public video of this absurdity.

God, he wouldn't make it 15 minutes on a crew

Of course not. He's still a puppy, and more interested in celebrity online.
He'll be ok, and not too likely to settle with outdoor work, either.

I think his comments about too much conflict are valid. We do have a lot of folks running around who are far too quick to pass around their insults. I'm not sure what the solution is. It looks like our membership and general message traffic dwarfs the "other" forum's.

Latest posts

Back