Chainsaw meets jeans

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who put that saw up on the log for her?
possibly her, she certainly counterbalances it well enough to do so!

just kidding, her husband most likely did, she never ran it in the video much to everyones disappointment
I run an 881 with a 42" quite often and HATE that thing, would most certainly hate running a 72" bar, I've got a 72" grapple on a skidsteer parked out front right now, for reference thats like freakin large, thats the size of 6 whole subway sammiches, or like 11.2 bananas!!

enough rambling, the chains on backwards, she didn't put it up there, the content isn't really to sell a saw I don't think but hey its something to watch

I will anyway at times.
I think that you’re the last.
Oregon recently started allowing self service full time, but requires the station to maintain some (maybe 50%) of the pumps as full service, WITHOUT an extra charge

It’s faster for me to pump it myself, but I understand the people like my Wife that don’t like handling the pumps, and though I did it Friday night on my way home, it was below freezing, and 20-30 mph winds, so it wasn’t enjoyable, but I wanted to go HOME, not wait.

Doug 😎
I don't run Husquvarna saws anymore... and when I did, I was wrapped in bubble wrap in fear of injury.
well then you Stihl have a LOT of growing up to do

All my saws are Huskies, and I have been completely Happy with them, but I sure don’t don’t claim that Stihl doesn’t build good saws

I’ve been running saws about 3 times as long as you have been breathing, back when the loggers here out West were carrying Yellow and Black saws. I learned to cut with a McCulloch Super Pro 60, helluva saw, for it’s time.

When I went to buy my first Quality chainsaw, I naturally went looking at Yellow saws, sadly Mac had been bought out by Black and Decker, their saws in the very early 90’s definitely weren’t the saws of the early 70’s.

I did what research you could back then, the internet wasn’t what it is now, looked at, and compared a lot of saws, knew people with both Stihls and Huskies, talked to them, ran some, and in the end, I decided that they BOTH made Quality Saws, and that I just got more saw for my money with Husky, and at the time the 266XP was the best fit for my needs, never regretted that decision.

After a couple years, I added a Husky 23 Compact, little Top Handle, sometimes 66.7cc’s and 24” is overkill. “Old Reliable” and that top handle were my 2 saw plan for about 25 years.

Then I needed a bigger saw for the wood we were cutting regularly, after we moved to the mountain, thought about a 395XP, ( ended up with TWO later) but CSM piqued my interest, and Dave in BC at the time was selling the 3120XP for $1399.00, WOW, what a difference.

The 23 Compact doesn’t get much use any more,
But the 543XP, 353, 346XP, 550XP, and the Wife’s 445, all use the same bar mount (K095) and.325/.050 chains, the 266XP(Ol Reliable), 372XP and 372XPW(75cc) all use D009 mount bars, 3/8 .050 chains and my team 404, 390XP, 395XP(X2) and 3120XP all use D009 bars, and .404/.063 chains so, within three classes I have saws that have common bars and chains that can be interchanged, keeps things simpler.

No doubt that Stihl has some Great saws, but Husky has a saw for about any need I have, so I have stuck with them.

The 460 Rancher is an odd duck, with a K095 bar mount, but 3/8 .050 chain, but honestly, I didn’t research it well enough when I bought it, thought it was a D009 mount, I can still use my 3/8 .050 24” chains on it, but the other bar lengths/mounts/pitches don’t match.

Sorry about the War and Peace length post, but you’re just not being realistic

Doug 😎

I don’t think so.
Mr Metsa was usually pretty mature for his age,
He even showed up in Pol/Rel a few times, and was more mature than many of the TDS sufferers in there

Doug 😎
Actually, this post was created by Mesta under a new name OddsAndEnds, it changed again because he actually deleted his account here. For his age, he was quite mature and what he does is way better than what most kids do nowadays. I do agree with some tho that he tries too hard on YouTube, etc… overall tho I think he’s a good kid and I still talk to him

possibly her, she certainly counterbalances it well enough to do so!

just kidding, her husband most likely did, she never ran it in the video much to everyones disappointment
I run an 881 with a 42" quite often and HATE that thing, would most certainly hate running a 72" bar, I've got a 72" grapple on a skidsteer parked out front right now, for reference thats like freakin large, thats the size of 6 whole subway sammiches, or like 11.2 bananas!!

enough rambling, the chains on backwards, she didn't put it up there, the content isn't really to sell a saw I don't think but hey its something to watch

I don’t run the 3120XP much, other than milling any more, with the 390XP, and 395XPs, I really don’t need to use the 3120 for anything other than milling.

But when the 3120XP was the next step up from the 266XP, I put it into a 34” D Fir, with the 36” B&C on it, yeah buckin with it was FUN. The 36” balances well, and dawgd in bucking, I wasn’t supporting the weight of the saw. With a Fresh chain, it went through that almost bar length diameter D Fir 🌲, like a Rabid Beaver 🦫 on steroids. I will admit though that after cutting 7/8s through the log, after rolling it, it didn’t take many upcuts with the 3120, for the Fun to wear off, and pick up the 266, to finish the up cuts

Even with the 390XP’s and 395XP’s, I can understand why the pros tend to Fell with the 390XP’s, and Buck with the 395XP’s, the 3120 is a whole different animal

Doug 😎

When you get those big logs, don't roll them over to finish the cuts. There is an easier way! (Plus, you get to keep cutting down, instead of hoisting that heavy saw in a up-cut.

Set a wedge at the top and pound it in when you get to the last couple of inches. It will spread the gap so firmly that it presses the ends of the log down and lifts the cut up into the air. Then finish your cut parallel to the ground and watch the logs settle back down to the ground without pinching your bar.

This really works, and seldom lets you down. It can be a bit difficult to pull out the wedge sometimes. Bring a couple of spares.
If you are only cutting off a "cookie" length from the log, it doesn't raise the log very much, but still eliminates potential pinching. If you are cutting a 15' log in half, it will lift that log into free air so high there will be no challenge to keep it out of the dirt.

Who put that saw up on the log for her?

I’m rather doubting that she put it there herself.

View attachment 1158918
This is my 3120XP, with the 60” bar mounted.
The 3120 balances nicely with a 36”, a bit nose heavy but manageable with the 44” mounted, but Dayum, was I surprised at the difference in the 60”, I expected it to be nose heavier than the 44”, but honestly Not that Much, I was truly surprised at the difference.

That’s probably an 880, comparable to a 3120, but looks like that is a 72”, I’ve got a 72” for the 3120, but have never mounted it yet, not terribly disappointed that the opportunity to use it fell through.

I do wish that I had grabbed a 50”, when they were still available, would have been a better fit for the 48” Granberg, than the 44”, but I was still learning about CSM back then

Still learning, just didn’t learn that early enough 😢
GB (Not Granberg) still offers the 50”, in their logo, which doesn’t bother me, but the shipping out of Australia gets a bit spendy 🤑

Doug 😎
IMO when the overall weight is that much, bar length doesn't make as much a difference as it does with the smaller lighter saws.

IMO when the overall weight is that much, bar length doesn't make as much a difference as it does with the smaller lighter saws.
We’ll just have to agree to disagree on that.

It was the balancing difference that I noticed, and the longer bar was exponentially heavier than with the smaller saws and bars. The 3120 balances nicely with the 36”, is nose heavy, but easily manageable with the 44”, the 60” was well beyond what I expected compared to the other two bars, the leverage of 16” more bar was significantly more than I anticipated.

The bar weight to power head weight ratio, is that much greater with the 60”, than with the 44”, but the change in Balance was Very significant.

Put a 13” B&C, or a 20” B&C on the Wife’s 445, even she doesn’t notice the difference too much.

Actually, I did put the 13” on her 445, the first time we went cutting, after she got it for Christmas 2017, she told me to take the little bar off, it was Embarrassing 🙈 😂😆🤣, she normally has a16”, or 18” mounted now

With the 266XP, I normally run a 24” B&C on it, but the difference between an 18” or 28” would be less noticeable, than the difference between the 36” and 44” on the 3120

Granted, I’m going to hold up better all day with the 266 with a 24” or 28” B&C, than I will with the 3120 with the 36”, but in the bar lengths involved for all three classes of saws, I will see a greater difference in the longer bars on the the larger saws, the extra leverage of the longer bars does make a greater difference

Doug 😎

We’ll just have to agree to disagree on that.

It was the balancing difference that I noticed, and the longer bar was exponentially heavier than with the smaller saws and bars. The 3120 balances nicely with the 36”, is nose heavy, but easily manageable with the 44”, the 60” was well beyond what I expected compared to the other two bars, the leverage of 16” more bar was significantly more than I anticipated.

The bar weight to power head weight ratio, is that much greater with the 60”, than with the 44”, but the change in Balance was Very significant.

Put a 13” B&C, or a 20” B&C on the Wife’s 445, even she doesn’t notice the difference too much.

Actually, I did put the 13” on her 445, the first time we went cutting, after she got it for Christmas 2017, she told me to take the little bar off, it was Embarrassing 🙈 😂😆🤣, she normally has a16”, or 18” mounted now

With the 266XP, I normally run a 24” B&C on it, but the difference between an 18” or 28” would be less noticeable, than the difference between the 36” and 44” on the 3120

Granted, I’m going to hold up better all day with the 266 with a 24” or 28” B&C, than I will with the 3120 with the 36”, but in the bar lengths involved for all three classes of saws, I will see a greater difference in the longer bars on the the larger saws, the extra leverage of the longer bars does make a greater difference

Doug 😎
Fair points. I’m just going off how my Echo 590 balances perfect with 24 vs too nose heavy with a 28 for me, and how I can’t notice a ton of weight change between a 24 and 36 in my 395, but that’s usually in a mill so not exactly fair

I’ve got saws from a 38cc top handle, to the 119 cc 3120XP, pretty much have all the 10cc classes covered, and have bars from 13”, to 72”, though admittedly the 72” has never been mounted yet, the need for it fell through, and having mounted the 60”, I decided not to mount the 72”, without a real need to, maybe some day get a pic with it mounted, but just handling that size bar is a handful

I rarely run anything larger than 36” the 390XP or 395XP anymore, other than milling.

Lots of things have taken their toll on me,
I’m 58, so age has a little bit
In 2016, the Wife and I both had gastric surgery for weight loss, I lost some muscle mass as well as fat, I did notice that some, but the noticeable change was from Covid, I didn’t go through what the Wife did with that, I have had worse cases of the Cold and Flu as far as Cough, Fever, chills, body aches and Head aches, but I did notice a significant loss in body strength, I struggle now with things I never did before Covid.

Before Covid, we Loved getting 36” wood for firewood, easy to get more large splits for overnight burns, more heartwood, less bark=Less mess more BTU’s, fewer rounds to handle, and most people didn’t want to handle wood that size, so there was plenty for us.

Now, I try to avoid anything over about 24”, maybe a bit larger, 18” is really the sweet spot, for a lot of people too, unfortunately 😢

Getting old sucks, but there were other factors that exacerbated it as well, more so than just the age aspect alone.

BTW, did I mention that I have a “Slight “ case of CAD/CSMAD?🙄

Doug 😎

The guys /gals who thinks too old/ experienced to need chaps/ safety gear, or the one who stated years back he wud never wear that safety orange because he hated the color has a few beans shy in the coffee pot... LOL

Back