Chaps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been told that my local stihl dealer will have the chainsaw pants that I saw in Germany that have knee pad inserts.

Z-FS3PROTECT_PROT-T006_p.jpg

http://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Produ...hing/22474-1671/Multi-Protect-Work-Pants.aspx

Used part of this video during the ventilation class I teach at a firefighter academy. Worth a watch. A lot of the staff thought the turnouts we wear offered some protection, but nope.

I passed that video to my store manager who is a lieutenant with our VFD . He was surprised at the ineffectiveness of the turnouts also. I used to be a F.F. too and I was never required to wear chaps. What does the NFPA say about chaps?
Used part of this video during the ventilation class I teach at a firefighter academy. Worth a watch. A lot of the staff thought the turnouts we wear offered some protection, but nope.

Not sure. In Oregon, OSHA gives us a pass because of the inherently dangerous nature of the job...but putting poly material in turnouts would be a very bad deal in a fire, so there's no easy solution.

Not sure. In Oregon, OSHA gives us a pass because of the inherently dangerous nature of the job...but putting poly material in turnouts would be a very bad deal in a fire, so there's no easy solution.
That's what we arrived at also.

I have been told that my local stihl dealer will have the chainsaw pants that I saw in Germany that have knee pad inserts.

Z-FS3PROTECT_PROT-T006_p.jpg

http://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Produ...hing/22474-1671/Multi-Protect-Work-Pants.aspx

Why does everything Stihl make cost more than twice as much as other manufacturers?

Good video. I'm definitely buying chaps soon. Chaps, my steel toe rubber boots, gloves, forester helmet, and shin pads will be my mandatory chainsaw apparel.

Why does everything Stihl make cost more than twice as much as other manufacturers?

This I do not know, I know in Germany there are several pants that look very much like the stihl ones but at a lessor price. Since stihl does not make the apparel I am sure there has to be another source for the same pants. I have seen Pants like that in Germany for about 60 euro so I will have to pick up a pair on my next trip I think. Are there any sources this side of the pond?

Whatever you do, get a pair and wear em. I've tried the apron chaps, and they get tangled and trip ya up alot.
Full wraps aren't any more expensive and you can wear em all day. Keep your legs warm too.

...blue husky chaps. I find them comfortable and after a while I don't notice I have them on. I wear them anytime I am around my chainsaw and or log splitter...

I like mine as well. Also, when at the splitter it helps keep me from getting too dirty if I`m splitting skidded or dirty wood. Not that I care to get dirty but...

I like mine as well. Also, when at the splitter it helps keep me from getting too dirty if I`m splitting skidded or dirty wood. Not that I care to get dirty but...

A Marine afraid of dirt, say it ain't so. lol. I pull my the extra rubber boot sleeve all the way up to my upper thighs to keep all the dirt and grime off my ACU pants. I would like to cut the extra rubber off though and just use chaps. Boots are really heavy with all that extra rubber and I'm hoping I can tuck the chaps into the boots to fill up the extra space.

@Ambull01

Trust me, I am not afraid of dirt!!! lol Watch tucking anything into your boots and then cutting. That's when things go awry in my house. I take off my boots and whatnot and walk in the house not paying attention to the trail of chips I`m leaving behind me as they fall out of the folds in the bottom of my jeans, stick to my socks, and then when I take my pants of the flood of 10 pounds of chips go everywhere!!! .

Back