chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a safety fanatic, but consider the economics.

Chaps = $100 or less.

Emergency room visit = heck of a lot more than $100

Lost wages while you recover = ????

I'm still gimpy from the chainsaw injury I received over a month ago. I was too cheap to see a doctor, but luckily the flesh healed up without getting infected. The cut also slashed some tendons and gouged the kneecap, so it may be months before I regain full use of the knee, if ever. I lost a couple days work and suffered for many more days.

Now I am saving money for kevlar chainsaw boots.

I think of chaps as the cheapest insurance policy that i have ever bought:cheers:

Might want to go read the new thread on the guy with 15+ years experience cutting his leg limbing with an 044.

I have never worn chaps, but have been considering them.

Last year I was having a lazy day of suds and burning brush(Trimmed Blueberry canes, tops, and busted up skids), and fired up the 455 to drop a nearby 6" maple that had been irritating me.

No PPE other than the Oakleys. The tree went down and on the first cut, snagged on a Sassafrass whip, kicked back, and chewed a hole in my jeans right in front of my "snow marker".

I didn't think much of it untill today when I put those same jeans on and saw the holes.

Ya see, last Friday I finally went to the doc and had a small operation that has me a bit sore down there.

I ain't gonna take ANY more chances. This sucks, and a semi chisel chain will likely hurt worse than the doc's scalpel!

Am gonna start eyeballing chaps.
Call me "Inspired".

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

In 35 years as a homeowner....

I've only come close to cutting myself once with a saw (That I am aware of).

It happened to fast to react.

That was before I bought my first pair of chaps. It scared me bad enough that I bought chaps and have been wearing them for many years.

I've got to hope they will work for me as I've never had occasion to test them.

I guess ya do what ya gotta do.

For that time that you "dont pay attension, or slip." the chaps wont help the fact that you where not payin attention. I have cut my left arm and hand on two differeent ocassions. The first time happend cause my chaps snagged somthin, my next step was screwed up and i toppled over on top of my not running saw. I got a nice deep cut to the bottom inside ofmy midle finger. The second time happend on a steep slowp. I set my saw on a stump and was screwing around with somthin i dont remember. Lost the ground out from under me and instinctivly tried to grab some stump. got me on the inside of my bicep and forearm.

I have never cut a thread on denim or chaps short of throwing chains which just leave a little boo boo on my shin.

As far as getting a head shot from kick back:dizzy: :dizzy:

MAN how in the hell do you do that!!?? Mabe if your running a big gear saw with no rakers. Christ people HOLD ON TO YOUR SAWS!!!

Already answered this one before so all I will say is, I bought chaps and use them. If you don't then great but I prefer my body parts the way they are(I'm not into to the whole let's match scares thing).

Latest posts

Back