Cheap Bar Oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a myth. No oil including bar oil will stay on a chain that is rotating at the speeds that chainsaws do. Any oil is gonna sling off no mater how thick and tacky it is. Most of the oil is dragged off by the chips and the wood and the rest is slung off. Just crank the oiler up to full and use what ever oil you want.
Many people use canola oil and it's about as thin an oil you can get and people still use it with no issues.
I use plane ol used motor oil thats not completely black. I don't use diesel oil as it's always blacker then coal. The color of the oil is not the issue it's just that the real black oil is kinda messy.
Some will argue that the speed of chain will aerosolize the oil and you will breathe the used oil contaminants. Though I guess I wouldn't worry too much unless a very heavy user.

Have you ever tried using, used motor oil? Take one saw and only use, used motor oil and see what happens. The worst that can happen is you burn up a bar and chain. Many will try and argue that used oil is some how harmful to the environment. But they don't stop and realize how much motor oil is leaked out of cars and dripped on the roads every day.
Been through this before in other threads. It won't harm the bar or chain, and I'm not overly fussed about the environment. I'm not breathing that crap in and I don't want it all over me.

I've used TSC's cheapest hydraulic oil, you can get it on sale for something like $20-$25 for 5 gallons last time I checked. It's a little thinner than most bar oils, but my 361 still only uses a tankful every 8-10 tanks of fuel.

Dont use old engine oil, all you trying to save a penny....... your not!
It's just you dont know enough so do some research educate yourself, then use bar oil that is made for the job. Ok, any pil is better than none but come on, you spend a lot of money on a saw, bars and chains so why not use the best oil you can and have the machine running as it should. Sorry if this hurts a few but it gets to me when I see and read how much some really dont know and should not be let loose near a saw. Rant over now you can kill me

Dont use old engine oil, all you trying to save a penny....... your not!
It's just you dont know enough so do some research educate yourself, then use bar oil that is made for the job. Ok, any pil is better than none but come on, you spend a lot of money on a saw, bars and chains so why not use the best oil you can and have the machine running as it should. Sorry if this hurts a few but it gets to me when I see and read how much some really dont know and should not be let loose near a saw. Rant over now you can kill me
A bar cost 50 bucks and a chain cost 30 bucks. If you spend an average of 10 bucks a gallon it only takes 8 gallons of bar oil to cover the cost of the bar and chain. So it cost more to run bar oil then it does to run free oil. The ratio of oil vs fuel is about a one to one ratio. I can get a 100 gallons of oil per bar and at 10 bucks a gallon that a cost of 1000 bucks per bar. How are you saving any money using bar oil over free oil? It cost you way more in bar oil vs the cost of a bar.

I've used TSC's cheapest hydraulic oil, you can get it on sale for something like $20-$25 for 5 gallons last time I checked. It's a little thinner than most bar oils, but my 361 still only uses a tankful every 8-10 tanks of fuel.
I’m taking notes, this is going to pad my retirement fund nicely ;)

Pour your used engine oil through 2 toilet paper rolls. By the time it gets through it’s clean again. Then use it for bar oil.

I pour it back in the car with that method. You think bar oil is expensive…. Try buying 5w30 now a days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most bar oil is made from recycled engine oil just an FYI. I have used black as hell oil on occasion. As previously stated I use hydraulic oil in the 5 gallon bucket. I don’t inhale it either

Latest posts

Back